Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

SeanWM48

haven't read whole thread maybe i'm repeating something and if so apologies. but if this project ends up as expensive as rumored i would assume it's because they're trying to make this happen in a reasonable amount of time (for once). otherwise something like 3 bil sounds insane. but making a 1.5 bil project happen in half the time would probably drive the cost up.

whole thing makes me wonder if they're having some second thoughts about the avatar project. not that they'd do anything about it but maybe they feel it won't be as big a "draw" as they hoped

bakntime

Reusing a ride system didn't stop Uni from building Spider-Man and Transformers next door to each other. I think a third incarnation of the same system might be pushing it, but my point is that I'd have no qualms about another EMV attraction at WDW. However (and I know I don't speak for everyone on this), I'd love for it to incorporate 3D like the aforementioned Universal attractions do. I do love Disneyland's Indy, but even if they upped the ante with better and more animatronics, I think there's a dynamic that comes with the 3D on a ride like Transformers that creates a more immersive experience. The sense of speed, movement, and immersion on that type of attraction is really something, and I believe that combining 3D projections with actual physical sets is the current sweet-spot of E-ticket theme park attractions (those two Uni rides, and Ratatouille at DLP, for example).

While I'm not a fan of the Transformers theme, the ride experience itself is pretty amazing. If Disney made an Indy-themed EMV attraction that borrowed some 3D screen tech from Spider-Man/Transformers/Ratatouille, it would be nothing like Dinosaur.

So basically what I'm saying is that reusing a ride conveyance system doesn't necessarily mean the attraction will feel repetitive. The Ratatouille attraction is proof that Disney can do a 3D hybrid attraction the right way. I'm not sure if trackless would be appropriate for an Indy ride, using EMV (or a more advanced 360-EMV like Universal) along with 3D integration could make a really great Indy attraction (or Star Wars attraction for that matter).

Matt_Black

haven't read whole thread maybe i'm repeating something and if so apologies. but if this project ends up as expensive as rumored i would assume it's because they're trying to make this happen in a reasonable amount of time (for once). otherwise something like 3 bil sounds insane. but making a 1.5 bil project happen in half the time would probably drive the cost up.

whole thing makes me wonder if they're having some second thoughts about the avatar project. not that they'd do anything about it but maybe they feel it won't be as big a "draw" as they hoped

Or perhaps the draw is exactly what they are expecting. If Avatarland is a big hit while DHS continues to stagnate, then the crowds over at DAK will become unmanageable. Notice how busy MK can get, especially at night.

mahnamahna101

Or perhaps the draw is exactly what they are expecting. If Avatarland is a big hit while DHS continues to stagnate, then the crowds over at DAK will become unmanageable. Notice how busy MK can get, especially at night.
MK wouldn't be nearly as busy at night if the other 3 parks were open later.

Ideally, the operating schedule during peak season should be:
Epcot - 9am to 1am
MK - 8am to 12am
DHS - 8am to 11pm
AK - 7am to 10pm

The problem is that 3 of the 4 don't have enough major attractions to last repeat visitors an entire day. MK can easily take 8-9 hrs to do every major attraction. Add in a couple filler attractions and you've got a full-day without any effort. It takes 1.5 days to do EVERY attraction at MK at least once.

Epcot? If you've got a FP+ for Soarin', MS and Nemo, and do single-rider for TT, you can finish Epcot's entire attraction lineup in 8-9 hrs.

DHS? If you do FP+ for TSMM, ToT and Star Tours, do single-rider for RnRC and pick up a 4th FP+ for GMR, you can do its current lineup in 7-8 hrs.

AK? Even after Pandora, if you do FP+ for the Avatar E, Kali and Everest, and do Kilimanjaro at rope-drop, you can do AK's entire attraction lineup in 8-9 hrs.

The other 3 parks need the filler that MK has, and also a couple more Ds/Es. Once that happens, they can keep the other 3 parks open far later and ease tension on MK.

bakntime

I don't think that's the case. I think they're going to take their time with the DHS project. Throwing more money at a project doesn't really speed it up much at all to justify the added cost. Also remember that of the rumored $2.8B for the studios, some of that will go toward a parking structure and roads/infrastructure, which could honestly eat up in the hundreds of millions (though not enough to make a huge dent in the remaining funds for the DHS expansions).

And I don't think the Avatar project has any cause/effect going on with the approval of this new project. I think Disney has known for some time that DHS was in need of a massive overhaul, it was just a matter of being able to make a splash with it. Until they acquired Star Wars, I don't think they were sure how they could make such a splash. Now they do (as I see it).

Disney is looking for ways to extend the number of days people are spending at the resort. AK and DHS were seen as the two parks where a "typical" guest didn't feel the need to spend more than a day, whereas Epcot and MK are two day parks (and to some, AK and DHS are even less than a full day, while I could easily spend 2 full days AK, but I digress). I think there might still be WDW visitors who see AK as skip-able, still under the impression that it's mostly a zoo. After these projects, both AK and DHS will be an absolute minimum full-day park, even with AK's expanded hours. People who might otherwise skip AK might be drawn to see Pandora and then finally learn why AK is so awesome.

Anyway, just speculation here, but I don't think the $3 billion was a panic move to get a $1.5-$2.0 billion project done faster, and I doubt that Avatar/Pandora expectations (whether optimistic or pessimistic) played much of a role in fast-tracking the $3B project.

djkidkaz

Just thought I'd share this since it probably gives an idea of what the future ( rumored ) indoor version of Jedi Training Academy will look like at DHS. It's from Shawn Slaters Twitter account and its the Disneyland Paris Jedi Training Academy that just opened.
image.jpg

PhotoDave219

Sorry if I'm not going to repeat myself over and over for people in the same thread.

gmajew

Just thought I'd share this since it probably gives an idea of what the future ( rumored ) indoor version of Jedi Training Academy will look like at DHS. It's from Shawn Slaters Twitter account and its the Disneyland Paris Jedi Training Academy that just opened.
View attachment 100870

That looks cool! Exciting to see it all come together for this park soon. My sons and I started watching the movies again this weekend to prep for the new release. I know we are sad but it is fun... Got to watch clone wars as well. Lol.

PhotoDave219

Well everything else is closed.... DHS closes at 7 or 8 half the time, DAK by 7... leaves you with two choices: Epcot or MK.

They need both DAK and DHS to hold people until close.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
well if D23 is disappointing this year, then it is likely dead. I'm thinking that Disney pulled back from SDCC in order to support D23 and that the political winds that were trying to kill this convention 2 years ago have shifted and they are going to go big at the D23 events this year. But even if it is big, they are never going to show everything they have up their sleeves. 2020 is too far away for a resort that depends on annual and once in a lifetime trips.

But I do think this is now a go big or go home moment for D23. Fans won't let it limp along much longer.

Setting aside the political issues inside D23, the company has truly realized the financial benefits and PR power the EXPO produces. The presentations this year should impress. The hints for Florida's Makeover will be palpable and the re-Branding will begin. This is an opportunity to showoff for fans and sell to stockholders.

*1023*

Rodan75

Setting aside the political issues inside D23, the company has truly realized the financial benefits and PR power the EXPO produces. The presentations this year should impress. The hints for Florida's Makeover will be palpable and the re-Branding will begin. This is an opportunity to showoff for fans and sell to stockholders.

*1023*

I'm all for that. It will be interesting to see if they expand the D23 Expos then. Integrate with SW Celebration and challenge some of these major conventions in a real way.

I'm sure folks would freak out though if that came to pass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom