Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

Jimmy Thick

Can you acknowledge that the lack of spending in the last 10 years bordered on neglect?

Based on what? My enjoyment of the parks?

If I feel I got my moneys worth and it was indeed my money being spent why does it matter?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the WDW purist is the minority in terms of seeking the minute details for the parks. The general public at large, I would safely venture 99.5% of WDW visitors dont really care. If they did you would see it in the turnstiles. Youre never going to please everyone regardless.

Jimmy Thick- Hey, dont we have some kind of bet?

articos

Back to very strictly DHS, I had a question. Since we were talking about a Guardians possibility earlier, is there other Marvel IP's we know Disney can use? Or is that info we're not privy to?

Essentially, if it's a character within the Marvel Universe that is currently being used within Islands of Adventure - or has been used in the past - or other characters within a "family" of the characters being used in the park, i.e. any of the characters within the Fantastic Four stories (whether or not they've been used) who are a specific part of the FF franchise, or the Spiderman franchise, etc. (as long as they are more than minor characters), they are barred from other theme park use east of the Mississippi. If the characters are part of Marvel's IP and are newer than the contract between Marvel and Universal, or are characters that have never been used within IOA and were not specifically requested/assigned to Universal/IOA, they are also technically able to be used by Disney east of the Mississippi with some limits. There are also differences between IPs used within attractions and characters that are only walk-arounds. The specific licensed characters/IPs have not been released and are not public knowledge.

That doesn't mean any character or IP will be used though, as there are other concerns when it comes to having Marvel characters in both Disney and Universal within the same geographical area. It creates confusion in brand identity, and Marvel is a valuable IP that Disney does not want to dilute. To make it more complicated, there are different facets to Marvel also - GoTG is not as much of a well-known franchise. In modern comics and movies, currently, they don't cross into other Marvel worlds, and they are not your typical Avengers/Spiderman/Hulk type superhero story. Standalone franchises that are very different from the types of Marvel worlds in the Universal contract are the more likely - but not guaranteed - to see usage in a Disney park on the east coast while Marvel is in use within Islands of Adventure. The contract has undergone modifications over the years - if Disney wants to do something, they'll reach out and discuss.

Not saying anything is specifically happening here - please don't read in too much on this at this point. Just providing a general answer to the question.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Essentially, if it's a character within the Marvel Universe that is currently being used within Islands of Adventure - or has been used in the past - or other characters within a "family" of the characters being used in the park, i.e. any of the characters within the Fantastic Four stories (whether or not they've been used) who are a specific part of the FF franchise, or the Spiderman franchise, etc. (as long as they are more than minor characters), they are barred from other theme park use east of the Mississippi. If the characters are part of the Marvel's IP and are newer than the contract between Marvel and Universal, or are characters that have never been used within IOA and were not specifically requested/assigned to Universal/IOA, they are also technically able to be used by Disney east of the Mississippi with some limits. There are also differences between IPs used within attractions and characters that are only walk-arounds. The specific licensed characters/IPs have not been released and not public knowledge.

That doesn't mean any character or IP will be used though, as there are other concerns when it comes to having Marvel characters in both Disney and Universal within the same geographical area. It creates confusion in brand identity, and Marvel is a valuable IP that Disney does not want to dilute. To make it more complicated, there are different facets to Marvel also - GoTG is not as much of a well-known franchise. In modern comics and movies, currently, they don't cross into other Marvel worlds, and they are not your typical Avengers/Spiderman/Hulk type superhero story. Standalone franchises that are very different from the types of Marvel worlds in the Universal contract are the more likely - but not guaranteed - to see usage in a Disney park on the east coast while Marvel is in use within Islands of Adventure. The contract has undergone modifications over the years - if Disney wants to do something, they'll reach out and discuss.

Not saying anything is specifically happening here - please don't read in too much on this at this point. Just providing a general answer to the question.

To add on, I think the only Marvel characters you'll see would be Big Hero 6. First, the versions you would find in the parks are the film versions, which are changed significantly enough that I don't imagine there would be any trouble. Furthermore, Marvel has said that they will no longer publish the 616 version of the group so as not to confuse anybody (though as a longtime comic reader, that's not going to prevent ANYBODY from finding something to be confused about!).

RSoxNo1

I would say that Disney has spent a lot on WDW in the last few years. Just not on e tickets.
And you would be wrong. This isn't a matter of opinion. @ParentsOf4 has made several posts that clearly show that spending is down at Walt Disney World under Bob Iger. Add in that when money is spent at WDW it has rarely been on new attractions.

It sounds like roughly $3.4 billion is coming over the next 6 years in addition to close to $1 billion already underway. The lack of spending is changing, but I think given the time frame, they are still spending far less than they were under Eisner.

WDWLover#1

And you would be wrong. This isn't a matter of opinion. @ParentsOf4 has made several posts that clearly show that spending is down at Walt Disney World under Bob Iger. Add in that when money is spent at WDW it has rarely been on new attractions.

It sounds like roughly $3.4 billion is coming over the next 6 years in addition to close to $1 billion already underway. The lack of spending is changing, but I think given the time frame, they are still spending far less than they were under Eisner.
I didn't say spending has increased or decreased. I'm saying money still has been put in projects like the hub expansion and redo of resort hotels areas, not on e tickets.

ParentsOf4

I didn't say spending has increased or decreased. I'm saying money still has been put in projects like the hub expansion and redo of resort hotels areas, not on e tickets.
For budgets the size of WDW's, the projects you cite are minuscule.

It's somewhat akin to saying, "Disney gave me a 'free' sticker with my $105 Magic Kingdom ticket!" No doubt a 5 year-old would be excited. Being familiar with Disney's financial disclosures, I'm not. :D

Now, DHS's budget, that's something to get excited about! :)

That's more like getting 'free' dining with your $105 ticket. :joyfull:

Brer Panther

Okay, here's a thought... If they needed the MuppetVision land for Star Wars, do you think they would build a new theater for the show somewhere else like they did for Festival of the Lion King?

NoChesterHester

So $600 MM a year.

IMFearless

Love that the "Disney bus driver" has progressed to such a point that they are a universally recognised benchmark of the likelihood of accuracy of Disney rumours, which is widely understood by readers of this forum.

1. Dont fall for the hype. Thats all it is- This article has done more damage than anything else. They should have done a better job disclaiming that their information is COMPLETELY third or fourth hand and in NO WAY WHATSOEVER verified on any level other than that of what any Disney Bus Driver would know.

mahnamahna101

*UPDATE*

Over the last week or so I have been compiling information from a group of sources I trust, some of which that I have directly communicated with. By combining all these peoples information in the most rational way possible, this is the best outline I can provide as to what is happening as of right now in regards to the studios.

Phase 1: Pixar place expansion part 1

this will begin construction relatively soon and will exist in behind toy story midway mania where the old studio bungalows and the costume centre from the backlot tour presently sit. those will both be torn down and in their place will be a kids friendly area with a sort of best of disney cloned pixar attractions combined with a new play area that will replace honey I shrunk the kids. the general consensus is that three attractions will be a part of this area, with the most votes going to slinky dog spin, francis's ladybug boogie, and flicks flyers, however its not entirely out of the question to also include one of the new minor attractions they are planning for Shanghai. the play area itself will attempt to consist of a wide range of pixar films as a sort of pixar-esque toon town with various interactive elements small children could participate with. Phase 1 also includes the third track addition for midway mania, and the removal of pirates of the caribbean, and the main backlot tour complex to allow easy access and flow to the area from both sides of the midway mania complex.

Phase 2: Cars miniland

The part two for pixar place, a toned down version of cars land is coming in the place of lights motors action and the rest of the backlot tour. the studios catering company will be repurposed and expanded south to become Flo's cafe, maters junkyard jamboree will sit essentially on the load unload site of the backlot tour and the special effects area, and a toned down clone of radiator springs racers will sit right on top of the old lights motors action amphitheater. as an offshoot of this work semi included in the phase, pizza planet will be going away in favour of a muppet-centric restaurant and mama melrose too will receive a similar treatment in some manner. this will essentially turn the streets of America into muppet studios and while no update to muppets 3-d is included in this phase, more will be discussed about it later on.

Phase 3: Star wars part 1

due to the delay with Avatar and the way that they want to space out openings in the parks, star wars is now pushed back another year or so on its start date with phase two of pixar jumping over it. as previously mentioned star wars is taking over the former sounds dangerous and american idol areas as part of that star wars alley way which is to be constructed. the other side of the street will be constructed over half of what is now echo lake with either most or all of it being filled in over this construction phase. there will be the permanent home of the jedi training academy an unknown attraction at this point entering the american idol building, and various shops and meet and greet areas lining the walk way with interactive elements where you 'use the force' throughout. at the end of the street, backlot express will become the mos eisely cantina

Phase 4: Star wars part 2

this is where things get a bit more complicated. the multipurpose space was originally thought of as convention space for the sale of star wars merch during starwars weekends, however recent changes to the design make this building appear to be of a significantly more advanced and larger scope then once thought. the 'flex space' appears to be capable enough to handle cheerleading competitions to seminars to company presentations to stage shows and cartoons during the busiest times of the year and beyond. If it becomes the case that events believes it can handle all of its capacity that immediately puts the indy show into jeopardy as it will save the company a substantial amount of money from expanding beyond the current park borders and moving backstage essential buildings around. therefore if they decide that this is the case, expect the original plan of going back through the star tours backlot pathway, to instead expand to the north east and take over the indiana jones area. this would now be the site of the new e-ticket major ride which will anchor the land, and mean the end of indy in the florida parks. as for the previously rumoured x wing spinner, that would also be a part of this phase however its debatable if they will actually follow through with that plan at this point due to the significantly larger focus on the pixar expansion over recent months. the response to that and phase 1 of starwars will probably dictate if this will actually be added to the parks or not.

Beyond Phase 4: various

after/ during these projects, there are four things that are without question going to happen. first regarding the one that could possibly be during, disney wants to utilize the beauty and the beast theatre as a showcase for their broadway theatre wing, so as early as phase 3 is being worked on, we could very well see beauty and the beast evicted in favour of a shorter version of their Aladdin Broadway show, with new shows coming in every few years as shows finish up national tours and begin making more prolonged runs in regional theatres. besides this, there are several projects lined up that will definitely happen but after the first 4 phases. first and foremost, the great movie ride is getting a redesign with some of the movies swapped out i favour of more prominent titles, the animatronics spruced up, and trackless technology replacing the old ride vehicles. next theres a new film that will be made for muppet vision 3-d as well as depending on the success of the show that ABC just greenlighted a muppet attraction to compliment the muppet studios land (although the latter is more of a long shot). Finally fantasmic is going to bite the bullet and be replaced with an all new nighttime spectacular of some kind.

as for timelines on these projects, you can probably be safe to expect phase 1 of toystory for sometime later next year. phase 2 will coincide with avatar's opening ideally, roughly 2018 pre christmas, phase 3 will start when construction is midway on phase 2, with an opening date ideally around late summer 2019, and hopefully if everything goes right phase 4 will be open in time for the 50th anniversary in 2021.

its an exciting time for walt disney world and the new disney's hollywood adventure!

Is there any truth? It's from MiceChat.

That sounds like it could be done for $2.8 billion, including new infrastructure. Pixar sounds meh to me, though.

SYRIK2000

*UPDATE*

Over the last week or so I have been compiling information from a group of sources I trust, some of which that I have directly communicated with. By combining all these peoples information in the most rational way possible, this is the best outline I can provide as to what is happening as of right now in regards to the studios.

Phase 1: Pixar place expansion part 1

this will begin construction relatively soon and will exist in behind toy story midway mania where the old studio bungalows and the costume centre from the backlot tour presently sit. those will both be torn down and in their place will be a kids friendly area with a sort of best of disney cloned pixar attractions combined with a new play area that will replace honey I shrunk the kids. the general consensus is that three attractions will be a part of this area, with the most votes going to slinky dog spin, francis's ladybug boogie, and flicks flyers, however its not entirely out of the question to also include one of the new minor attractions they are planning for Shanghai. the play area itself will attempt to consist of a wide range of pixar films as a sort of pixar-esque toon town with various interactive elements small children could participate with. Phase 1 also includes the third track addition for midway mania, and the removal of pirates of the caribbean, and the main backlot tour complex to allow easy access and flow to the area from both sides of the midway mania complex.

Phase 2: Cars miniland

The part two for pixar place, a toned down version of cars land is coming in the place of lights motors action and the rest of the backlot tour. the studios catering company will be repurposed and expanded south to become Flo's cafe, maters junkyard jamboree will sit essentially on the load unload site of the backlot tour and the special effects area, and a toned down clone of radiator springs racers will sit right on top of the old lights motors action amphitheater. as an offshoot of this work semi included in the phase, pizza planet will be going away in favour of a muppet-centric restaurant and mama melrose too will receive a similar treatment in some manner. this will essentially turn the streets of America into muppet studios and while no update to muppets 3-d is included in this phase, more will be discussed about it later on.

Phase 3: Star wars part 1

due to the delay with Avatar and the way that they want to space out openings in the parks, star wars is now pushed back another year or so on its start date with phase two of pixar jumping over it. as previously mentioned star wars is taking over the former sounds dangerous and american idol areas as part of that star wars alley way which is to be constructed. the other side of the street will be constructed over half of what is now echo lake with either most or all of it being filled in over this construction phase. there will be the permanent home of the jedi training academy an unknown attraction at this point entering the american idol building, and various shops and meet and greet areas lining the walk way with interactive elements where you 'use the force' throughout. at the end of the street, backlot express will become the mos eisely cantina

Phase 4: Star wars part 2

this is where things get a bit more complicated. the multipurpose space was originally thought of as convention space for the sale of star wars merch during starwars weekends, however recent changes to the design make this building appear to be of a significantly more advanced and larger scope then once thought. the 'flex space' appears to be capable enough to handle cheerleading competitions to seminars to company presentations to stage shows and cartoons during the busiest times of the year and beyond. If it becomes the case that events believes it can handle all of its capacity that immediately puts the indy show into jeopardy as it will save the company a substantial amount of money from expanding beyond the current park borders and moving backstage essential buildings around. therefore if they decide that this is the case, expect the original plan of going back through the star tours backlot pathway, to instead expand to the north east and take over the indiana jones area. this would now be the site of the new e-ticket major ride which will anchor the land, and mean the end of indy in the florida parks. as for the previously rumoured x wing spinner, that would also be a part of this phase however its debatable if they will actually follow through with that plan at this point due to the significantly larger focus on the pixar expansion over recent months. the response to that and phase 1 of starwars will probably dictate if this will actually be added to the parks or not.

Beyond Phase 4: various

after/ during these projects, there are four things that are without question going to happen. first regarding the one that could possibly be during, disney wants to utilize the beauty and the beast theatre as a showcase for their broadway theatre wing, so as early as phase 3 is being worked on, we could very well see beauty and the beast evicted in favour of a shorter version of their Aladdin Broadway show, with new shows coming in every few years as shows finish up national tours and begin making more prolonged runs in regional theatres. besides this, there are several projects lined up that will definitely happen but after the first 4 phases. first and foremost, the great movie ride is getting a redesign with some of the movies swapped out i favour of more prominent titles, the animatronics spruced up, and trackless technology replacing the old ride vehicles. next theres a new film that will be made for muppet vision 3-d as well as depending on the success of the show that ABC just greenlighted a muppet attraction to compliment the muppet studios land (although the latter is more of a long shot). Finally fantasmic is going to bite the bullet and be replaced with an all new nighttime spectacular of some kind.

as for timelines on these projects, you can probably be safe to expect phase 1 of toystory for sometime later next year. phase 2 will coincide with avatar's opening ideally, roughly 2018 pre christmas, phase 3 will start when construction is midway on phase 2, with an opening date ideally around late summer 2019, and hopefully if everything goes right phase 4 will be open in time for the 50th anniversary in 2021.

its an exciting time for walt disney world and the new disney's hollywood adventure!

Is there any truth? It's from MiceChat.

That sounds like it could be done for $2.8 billion, including new infrastructure. Pixar sounds meh to me, though.

This doesn't sound more ambitious to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom