Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

GrumpyFan

Why? We already have test track.

I hate this argument! Really! It's the equivalent of saying, why build another roller coaster when we already have one at one of the other parks. I mean, look at how many omnimover attractions there are, how many boat rides. These all use the same ride technology, but they are completely different attractions. I get the desire for a new attraction, using new innovative or un-used technology/ride system at the parks, and I'm not a fan of the Cars Land idea for DHS, but to discount an attraction based on the mere fact that it's the same type does it a huge dis-service. They're not the same, even if they use the same ride technology.

CaptainAmerica

I hate this argument! Really! It's the equivalent of saying, why build another roller coaster when we already have one at one of the other parks. I mean, look at how many omnimover attractions there are, how many boat rides. These all use the same ride technology, but they are completely different attractions. I get the desire for a new attraction, using new innovative or un-used technology/ride system at the parks, and I'm not a fan of the Cars Land idea for DHS, but to discount an attraction based on the mere fact that it's the same type does it a huge dis-service. They're not the same, even if they use the same ride technology.
I think I agree with @PhotoDave219 on this one. The difference between Test Track and an omnimover is that the ride system of Test Track is a much more prominent element of the overall ride experience, while the ride system in something like Haunted Mansion is just a vehicle to get you to the meat and potatoes of the effects, props, animatronics, etc. Rides in which the system is unique enough that it shouldn't be duplicated are (IMO) Test Track, Tower, Everest (the backwards mechanic), and Mine Train.

CaptainAmerica

I have also heard rumor that Mama Melrose and the Christmas Shop are going to close by the end of the year. Right now you can not get a dining reservation at Mama Melrose past December 5th. I called Disney Dining and they stated their was no inventory listed. They said it could be a refurbishment or some other change.
Thanks for posting that date. I tried to make a reservation for MM and early January and ran into what you're describing. Wasn't sure how far back it went though.

GrumpyFan

I think I agree with @PhotoDave219 on this one. The difference between Test Track and an omnimover is that the ride system of Test Track is a much more prominent element of the overall ride experience, while the ride system in something like Haunted Mansion is just a vehicle to get you to the meat and potatoes of the effects, props, animatronics, etc. Rides in which the system is unique enough that it shouldn't be duplicated are (IMO) Test Track, Tower, Everest (the backwards mechanic), and Mine Train.

Sure, I get that, but isn't the Test Track ride system essentially an enhanced omnimover? So, depending on the "meat and potatoes", it could be a completely different experience for the guest. If done well, sometimes even a simple ride system can be themed in a way to create a new and exciting experience for guests, which is what Disney has done with the omnimovers and boat rides. I can't say the same for hub-and-spoke spinners though, because for me these are all the same, unless they decide one day to enclose one, then I might change my mind, depending on how well the theme is executed.

No offense, but to say a ride system shouldn't be re-used, just shows a lack of imagination. Sure, there are limits to some ride systems, and those do limit what can be done, but with proper theming and guest interactivity, you can do a lot with the same ride vehicles. Disney has shown this repeatedly with many of their attractions.

Last edited:

invader

I really do think people on these boards sometimes underestimate how much one billion dollars is, let alone two or three

doctornick

I really do think people on these boards sometimes underestimate how much one billion dollars is, let alone two or three

Yes. One could reasonable build an entire theme park for $2 billion. DHS will have some costs associated by demolition, but there's already utilities in a lot of places (and they'll probably reuse some kitchen facilities and the like) but they can basically use that money to attach a "new" theme park to Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd (+ Toy Story Mania & Star Tours).

bhg469

Yes. But it sounds like the worst of the "bad stuff" is due to preparation for the oodles of "good stuff" that are on the way. I quite enjoyed DHS and could easily spend a full day there right up until they started closing things.
I agree but we all know this is all pretty far iff. Locking doors on attrations for months without even breaking ground just seems like a poor move.

bhg469

But remember, infrastructure updates are not cheap. If the 3 billion number or whatever it ends up being was for attractions?! I would be giddy. There will be a huge chunk of money spent on less fun things like parking lots and plumbing.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
This has me pumped. Still, I have to remain cautious until everything is announced. "DHS" has so much potential and from what this article is saying it is about to be kinetic. Still, I hope they do not forget the other parks.

emcclay

No Liz, but someone suggested it could be the same time as animation academy.
Thanks. I didn't think there was a formal announcement as of yet. Just wondering because there is currently a CP trying to save the attraction by writing to execs and petitioning against TWDC.

DGracey

Is it possible to think that once the expansion plans get announced and additional attractions/restaurants/space is walled off - we could see attendance drop further at DHS? With less and less to do - is there a tipping point where people just think it isn't worth going there while this is happening?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this will be done in phases when they've already closed so much.

They really should be bold - really bold - and close the park down for 18 months and just do everything in one period. A dream is a wish your heart makes ... if only ...

AEfx

Care to provide an example of all these budget cuts? Everyone likes to throw out the "DISNEY IZ CUTTTING ALL UR BUDGETZ!!!1!" line but I'd love to see an example of a project that we know to have been approved at X dollars and was cut down to Y dollars for no reason other than "TDO is cheap." Note: It doesn't count as a budget cut if it's the result of WDI overspending on a different project and it needed to be covered or if 9/11 happens and the economy hits the crapper.

Well, when you ask for that narrow of an example, LOL - as we don't generally get dollars amounts at both levels (usually we hear about them after the cut) I don't think anyone without true insider financial information can provide what you are asking for. I think it happens early on, before we'd get wind of actual numbers (and I don't doubt that it happens).

That said, "value engineering" is quite apparent. I'm sure it happens at all kinds of levels, and you are likely correct if I get the gist of what you are saying, which is budgets are not disappearing until they get into the black hole of WDI. There is some bloat somewhere in their operation that sucks money and doesn't spit out the equivalent product. I mean, that's why EE is such an embarrassment - it was only 1/2 done to begin with, and when the Yeti doesn't even work...it's even less. There is no way the product they end up with has actual costs anywhere near as high as the price tags.

This isn't unique to WDW, you find it all across construction projects anywhere now (they cost much much more than inflation or increases in material costs would account for, and efficiency has dropped considerably) but what is a bit baffling is that normally it's exasperated by too many different hands out through the process, but at Disney it's all within the same company yet happens to an even larger degree.

I also think priorities play a lot into it...instead of the best guest experience, I don't think that is WDI's calling card these days. I mean, imagine how much of the budget of 7DMT was spent on the "sway" feature. Many many millions in developing it, I am sure. Now, in the end, it's a clever little trick, but I think the average guest would have been much much more impressed if instead of focusing on that ultimately little thing, they just hadn't bothered and instead added another 2-3 show scenes instead.

Similar to Everest, again - if Rhode hadn't spent millions and millions gallivanting around the world gathering junk for the queue and concentrating so hard on something most guests aren't really going to know is fake or "authentic" - particularly given Disney has done everything possible to make it even more attractive to just sit on your smart phone in queues instead of "absorbing" it - we might not have ended up with a completely empty mountain that they have to hide the interior with tarps like some low-rent amusement park.

WDI aren't the altruistic heroes that many make them out to be - I do think the money men take the lion's share of the blame but they aren't the ones deciding how the money is spent, that's mostly at the WDI level.

AEfx

Is it possible to think that once the expansion plans get announced and additional attractions/restaurants/space is walled off - we could see attendance drop further at DHS? With less and less to do - is there a tipping point where people just think it isn't worth going there while this is happening?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this will be done in phases when they've already closed so much.

People keep making a big deal about "half the park closed!" but in reality, all the major attractions, the ones that actually attract people, are still there and aren't going anywhere. The stuff that is closing is mostly bloat people use to fill out a day, so it's doubtful that the park will see any actual drop in gate clicks - folks just won't be staying as long. All attractions are not created equal, and the ones that are closing or have closed are certainly from the lower end of the value spectrum. No normal, non-WDW-freak guests went to that park to experience those in particular, it's just when you look at a list it looks a lot more impactful than it really is.

There is a reason those things are closing, and it's not just because they need the space. It's because they didn't get that many guests to begin with so the impact is really minimal to overall attendance.

brb1006

"new attraction that will be kicking Journey Into Imagination to the curb"

Wait somethings trying to top Journey Into Imagination? I'm still waiting for the return of Dreamfinder someday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom