Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

brb1006

I'm hoping Disney wakes up and finally builds an actual Pizza Planet, like in the movie.
I loved the Pizza at the restaurant, but it seriously needs an expansion with more arcades. I was dissapointed when I didn't see the aliens who puked out drinks for your cups or the guards that welcomes you to pizza planet outside the place.

brb1006

Remember those rumors about Phineas and Ferb going into the pavilion? I feel the same way about this as I felt about that: if Figment's just teaming up with the characters, it's fine. I just want him to be there. And not just in a quick cameo like the second version.
We don't talk about that version of Journey Into Imagination.

Stevie Amsterdam

I hate this argument! Really! It's the equivalent of saying, why build another roller coaster when we already have one at one of the other parks. I mean, look at how many omnimover attractions there are, how many boat rides. These all use the same ride technology, but they are completely different attractions. I get the desire for a new attraction, using new innovative or un-used technology/ride system at the parks, and I'm not a fan of the Cars Land idea for DHS, but to discount an attraction based on the mere fact that it's the same type does it a huge dis-service. They're not the same, even if they use the same ride technology.

I think I agree with @PhotoDave219 on this one. The difference between Test Track and an omnimover is that the ride system of Test Track is a much more prominent element of the overall ride experience, while the ride system in something like Haunted Mansion is just a vehicle to get you to the meat and potatoes of the effects, props, animatronics, etc. Rides in which the system is unique enough that it shouldn't be duplicated are (IMO) Test Track, Tower, Everest (the backwards mechanic), and Mine Train.

I know traveling isn't cheap, so having your favorite rides duplicated in the park closest to your home could be nice. On the other hand, however, wouldn't it be awful if every Disney park around the world would be a copy of the original? Would you even visit the other parks if they'd be copies? I think it's great that each park has it's unique rides; EE in WDW, Cars Land in DLR, Ratatouille in DLP, etc.

jt04

I know traveling isn't cheap, so having your favorite rides duplicated in the park closest to your home could be nice. On the other hand, however, wouldn't it be awful if every Disney park around the world would be a copy of the original? Would you even visit the other parks if they'd be copies? I think it's great that each park has it's unique rides; EE in WDW, Cars Land in DLR, Ratatouille in DLP, etc.

Definitely.

Especially troubling is if they sunk major money into cloning Carsland. A mini-carsland makes sense but a clone seems lazy and short-sighted IMO.

However 2+ billion can buy a lot of everything so hopefully the emphasis is on unique new attractions. Emphasis on Star Wars please. :)

CaptainAmerica

I don't think anyone is upset about clones from one resort to another. Nobody is saying "don't build RSR at WDW because it's already at Disneyland." We're saying "don't build RSR at WDW because it's already at WDW, just with a different skin."

Mickey1984

I don't like the name. Too close to California Adventure.

I think this is the idea, with them both having same entrance area ..

In the article is lists attractions staying and doesn't like Star Tours? Surely this will stay considering it has only really "just" opened...? Also with them adding more SW attractions this would sit hand in hand.

GeneralZod

I don't think anyone is upset about clones from one resort to another. Nobody is saying "don't build RSR at WDW because it's already at Disneyland." We're saying "don't build RSR at WDW because it's already at WDW, just with a different skin."
I'm saying that. If I want to see RSR, I will go to Disneyland. I would rather have unique experiences in each park.

CinematicFusion

I'm saying don't build RSR because it's at Disneyland.
Let California have its own identity.

Here is an idea.....create a first of its kind attraction, something new and exciting.
Something that can only be seen at WDW.
It doesn't have to be based on the most recent films.
Song of the south is banned yet splash mountain is one of the most popular rides ever.
Of course it's cloned....so I guess I'm back where I started with this discussion. :)

mahnamahna101

Sure, I get that, but isn't the Test Track ride system essentially an enhanced omnimover? So, depending on the "meat and potatoes", it could be a completely different experience for the guest. If done well, sometimes even a simple ride system can be themed in a way to create a new and exciting experience for guests, which is what Disney has done with the omnimovers and boat rides. I can't say the same for hub-and-spoke spinners though, because for me these are all the same, unless they decide one day to enclose one, then I might change my mind, depending on how well the theme is executed.

No offense, but to say a ride system shouldn't be re-used, just shows a lack of imagination. Sure, there are limits to some ride systems, and those do limit what can be done, but with proper theming and guest interactivity, you can do a lot with the same ride vehicles. Disney has shown this repeatedly with many of their attractions.
JttCotE at DisneySea uses the same ride system as Test Track, but you'd never Think 'That's just like Test Track!' from riding it. I'd be over the moon if it came into the Adventureland expansion pad at some poin5t in the future.

However, I do think RSR is a horrid use of space. For the sake of expanding the attraction count and the capacity, anything removed should be utilized properly.

mahnamahna101

They should have spent 100+, and did a low intensity and high intensity version of the ride vehicles, like the Sum of All Thrills in Epcot/Mission Space in Epcot.
Cat and E.T. are the only current attractions with height requirements where this kind of thing would ever happen. Universal is known for having an extra kick. But those KUKA arms and over-the-head restraints pretty much require FJ to have a 48" requirement.

Is it possible to think that once the expansion plans get announced and additional attractions/restaurants/space is walled off - we could see attendance drop further at DHS? With less and less to do - is there a tipping point where people just think it isn't worth going there while this is happening?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this will be done in phases when they've already closed so much.

They really should be bold - really bold - and close the park down for 18 months and just do everything in one period. A dream is a wish your heart makes ... if only ...
It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that DHS will have at least one attendance decline over the next 5-6 years.

Especially with Frozenstrom over at Epcot, AK getting some new stuff, MK still being the king, and Universal Orlando adding E-tickets left and right... where's the room for a 6th day at a park which will have 7-8 attractions for at least a brief portion of this overhaul?

DHS will be lucky to have 9 million/yr if it takes until 2018/2019 to open the Pixar stuff.

People keep making a big deal about "half the park closed!" but in reality, all the major attractions, the ones that actually attract people, are still there and aren't going anywhere. The stuff that is closing is mostly bloat people use to fill out a day, so it's doubtful that the park will see any actual drop in gate clicks - folks just won't be staying as long. All attractions are not created equal, and the ones that are closing or have closed are certainly from the lower end of the value spectrum. No normal, non-WDW-freak guests went to that park to experience those in particular, it's just when you look at a list it looks a lot more impactful than it really is.

There is a reason those things are closing, and it's not just because they need the space. It's because they didn't get that many guests to begin with so the impact is really minimal to overall attendance.
But the problem is that many of the attractions slated for closure in the near future (Indiana Jones, B&TB, Mermaid, Disney Jr., Muppets, LMA) and one in particular that's already closed (Backlot Tour) were C-ticket people-eaters in a park desperate for them. Or they're A/B (One Man's Drean, Captain Jack, Animation, etc) meant to divert guests off pathways.

DHS can't feasibly sustain 10m+/yr with just TSMM, GMR, Star Tours, ToT and RnRC. RnRC/TSMM have horrible hourly capacity, so there's only 3 people-eaters in the bunch.

People say USF/IOA can't fit much more than 10 million/yr, yet DHS can with zero shows, large sections of the park under construction/shuttered, and 5 real attractions?

CaptainAmerica

I'm saying that. If I want to see RSR, I will go to Disneyland. I would rather have unique experiences in each park.

I'm saying don't build RSR because it's at Disneyland.
Let California have its own identity.

Here is an idea.....create a first of its kind attraction, something new and exciting.
Something that can only be seen at WDW.
It doesn't have to be based on the most recent films.
Song of the south is banned yet splash mountain is one of the most popular rides ever.
Of course it's cloned....so I guess I'm back where I started with this discussion. :)
The percent of people who will also visit Disneyland in their lifetime is a tiny fraction of the total population of WDW guests. Of that small percentage, some subset of them would actually be bothered by a cloned ride. Of that subset, an even smaller subset would actually do anything (i.e. not visit) about it. It makes absolutely no sense to make hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars decisions based on such a small group of people, the majority of whom are the most hardcore Disneyphiles on earth and will continue to visit and spend regardless.

NoChesterHester

People keep making a big deal about "half the park closed!" but in reality, all the major attractions, the ones that actually attract people, are still there and aren't going anywhere. The stuff that is closing is mostly bloat people use to fill out a day, so it's doubtful that the park will see any actual drop in gate clicks - folks just won't be staying as long. All attractions are not created equal, and the ones that are closing or have closed are certainly from the lower end of the value spectrum. No normal, non-WDW-freak guests went to that park to experience those in particular, it's just when you look at a list it looks a lot more impactful than it really is.

There is a reason those things are closing, and it's not just because they need the space. It's because they didn't get that many guests to begin with so the impact is really minimal to overall attendance.

Agree. Also, people are fascinated by construction. It sucks at first, but when things start popping up over the walls I bet it can actually drive attendance. The excitement of what is next is palpable.

prberk

I think I agree with @PhotoDave219 on this one. The difference between Test Track and an omnimover is that the ride system of Test Track is a much more prominent element of the overall ride experience, while the ride system in something like Haunted Mansion is just a vehicle to get you to the meat and potatoes of the effects, props, animatronics, etc. Rides in which the system is unique enough that it shouldn't be duplicated are (IMO) Test Track, Tower, Everest (the backwards mechanic), and Mine Train.

Well, then, where do you stand on bringing in The Indiana Jones Adventure from DL, which is the same ride system as Dinosaur (formerly Countdown to Extinction)? Does the ride system take on enough of a profile in those rides to be considered part of the ride's DNA (no pun intended with the Dino ride)?

And this one may be less obvious, but the same is also true of Ellen's Energy ride and The Great Movie Ride. Both use essentially the same ride vehicles, with a human "host."

I guess my thought is that, while I can see Dave's argument (and tend to want to agree), I have to wonder where the line is, on where the ride system is an integral part to the identity of the ride -- and whether it should be more like comparing roller-coasters, where we understand and anticipate the same (or very similar) ride system, but look to the theming and other parts of the ride to make the difference. That is what makes Pirates not Small World.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

Well, then, where do you stand on bringing in The Indiana Jones Adventure from DL, which is the same ride system and Dinosaur (formerly Countdown to Extinction)? Does the ride system take on enough of a profile in those rides to be considered part of the ride's DNA (no pun intended with the Dino ride)?
They could change the ride layout a little.

JEANYLASER

I heard from Screamscape that at D23 Expo for August Disney will make announcement about the new theme and new name for the Disney Hollywood Studios and Including Monster inc, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles , and Star Wars land and Cars Land attractions you wait and see the for the official name for the Disney Hollywood Studios! next month!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom