Ruined...POTC

Champion

Not really in this case. Guest reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

Not what I meant.

What I meant was that people are going to complain much more than praise something.

How often does someone go to Town Hall and say "Wow, Pirates is awesome!"? Not very.

hokielutz

Wow! I don't think I've ever had anything I started shamelessly promoted! By way of full disclosure - you should know that I am a Florida State Seminole - I can plainly see that your a Hokie. Are we starting a new era of conference rivals helping each other out?

Sure... we can help each other out, until the week of Nov 10th.

haveyoumetmark

Oooh. A general discussion turned head_mouse thread. I love these, they sure are entertaining. I do sympathize with our moderators though, as these threads probably put them to work. They have to be actively watching because these threads generally have the tendency to turn ugly.

:D

Seriously though, I enjoyed the PotC rehab. It breathed life into a slowly dying ride who's counter-part movie was topping the charts. However, I thought the Davy Jones fog effect was kind of lame, all it was was fog with a projected Davy Jones on it synchronized to sound. Something a local Haunted House did ages ago -- built by neighborhood children/teens.

The Jack AA's were over the top though, beyond amazing.:wave:

justducky78

I, too, consider myself a traditionalist...and I was REALLY worried about the ride changes. My husband and I literally held our breath when we rode it for the first time (since the changes) this past February. I was pleasantly surprised and although I still love the original - the changes didn't ruin it for me. It was certainly a little different, but still a great ride. That said, I can understand how you feel and you have the right to feel that way. It sucks when things change.

cloudboy

Again, it's amazing how bad we think something was now that we have it changed, yet I don't remember any dwindling ridership OR any numbers pointing to any further dissatisfaction, OTHER than the mentioned tie in with a trendy movie. But like almost any movie, they very rarely last long, and what is going to happen in 5 years when no one knows Jack Sparrow's name.

It's too bad that people don't remember the magic of Disney. And I don't mean all the characters or you favorite movie or anything like that - there was a time when Disney was not a movie tie in. I suppose some people need that change for excitement - the only way to get it, I suppose. But for some of us it's not that it has changed, it's that we have lost a little more of what little magic is left.

head mouse

WINNER!!!!:sohappy:
Dumbest comment of the week. Congratulations.
So inaccurate, I can't even start to refute it other than to say that the guest compliment to complaint ratio is running in excess of 100 to 1.

Look around. (other then just this board) and see how many people dislike the changes.

You have zero concept of the amount of people that go to Walt Disney World. Using terms like "hundreds" and "thousands" to describe ridership of Pirates of the Caribbean are a clear sign that you are uninformed. Even ten thousand people not liking the changes is completely insignificant. Heck, you can even say that 100,000 people not liking it would be completely insignificant. MK attendance for 06 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 17.5 MILLION. The hugely inflated 100,000 people is less than 1% of the total. And you know what? A certain percentage of the guests are going to not enjoy ANY attraction. That is something Disney knows and is prepared to deal with.

WELL EXCUSE ME let me put it in terms you might understand then

Replace hundreds with "MILLIONS" and thousands with "BILLIONS"

Better???? :hammer:

Do you know why? People are much more likely to complain then praise. Do you really think people all come and post threads on how much they LOVE every ride they enjoyed? No, they don't. But if they have a problem, they'll post about it. Not only to vent, and to tell others about the issue, but because problems are the things that stick in your mind. You always see more complaints then compliments. Always.

Do you even read the threads? Did you not see the news footage showing one of the members here saying "I love..." Members will praise just as much as the complain.

You people are so out of touch with the real world. It's amazing how you all live in this little WDWMAGIC world. Go visit a few other places and see how REAL Disney fans feel. I can't begin to tell how many "I hate the new PotC" or "The new Stich sucks" or "The gold crap all over the castle (during HCOE) looks like crap."

Any true Disney fan would not just say "Well, they changed it. I liked it the old way but nothing I can do. Guess I'll just like it the new way. rainbows and lollipops."

Get a life. Change is not all good. If you change everything, then there are no more classics, no more historical preservation. Like I said before. There is enough land for them to add all the attractions they can dream up WITH OUT destroying the great classics that made Disney what it is.

I now return to the real world...:wave:

Champion

Again, it's amazing how bad we think something was now that we have it changed, yet I don't remember any dwindling ridership OR any numbers pointing to any further dissatisfaction, OTHER than the mentioned tie in with a trendy movie. But like almost any movie, they very rarely last long, and what is going to happen in 5 years when no one knows Jack Sparrow's name.

The ridership was NOTHING like it is now. It was a walk on or less than 10 minutes basically ALWAYS before the first refurb. Not that I minded, it was (still is) my favorite classic attraction.
It wasn't "dwindling" but it also wasn't drawing a crowd. Now it draws a crowd.

And you're right. Movies don't last long. Lets pull out all the movie based attractions. Because, you know, Fantasyland isn't ever busy with all the movie based attractions there.

Going to say "I meant live action"? I'm going to say Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and of course Great Movie Ride. None of which are ever hurting for crowds, though they all could use sprucing up, a la this refurb.

It's too bad that people don't remember the magic of Disney. And I don't mean all the characters or you favorite movie or anything like that - there was a time when Disney was not a movie tie in. I suppose some people need that change for excitement - the only way to get it, I suppose. But for some of us it's not that it has changed, it's that we have lost a little more of what little magic is left.

When was this fabled period when "Disney was not a movie tie in"?

It definitely wasn't early Disneyland, because there were opening day attractions based on movies. In fact, most of them were. Not to mention the castle.

It also can't be before Disneyland, because before then you ONLY had movies and cartoons.

So please. Enlighten me.

And before you even start to say "I meant not everything has to be movie based." Let me remind you that the last major attraction to open was not movie based. (EE)

goofyfan13

I disagree, I think Jack Sparrow has the potential to become a timeless live action Disney Character much like Marry Poppins. This is my opinion, however, looking at how successful the first two movies were, I think Jack will reign supreme among live action Disney characters.

goofyfan13

So inaccurate, I can't even start to refute it other than to say that the guest compliment to complaint ratio is running in excess of 100 to 1.

I think this can be nominated for best post of the week! Well done Lee! :ROFLOL:

Disneyfanman

Well, I can't comment on the "timelessness of Jack Sparrow", or anything so deep, but I CAN say that we all loved the changes. Not the additional characters so much, although they were fun, but the ride was darker, scarier, and better sounding. We really were impressed with the mist screen. The caves were creepier. And their seemed to be just a little less of a quality difference between DL and WDW.

I never really got worked up about the PC changes years ago, and I certainly have enough to worry about without questioning the long term "strategy" of a theme park attraction, but I can say if I like something and the POTC changes were a hit with me.

I also heard many guests chatting about it while in line at several attractions and several parks. Everyone I heard talking was complimenting the changes. Just the fact that it was a big topic of chat is a compliment to Disney IMHO. How often to you get to "reboot" a classic? And we waited 25 minutes in line on an off season day. I haven't waited for Pirates in 10 years, even on the most crowded afternoons. That was really nice to see! And there was kind of an "electric excitement" in the crowd.

I look forward to the HM upgrades, if they pan out.

Go Disney.

Iakona

Maybe the samething that happened to Jungle Cruise when everyone forgot the tv show/movie it was based on?

BG Rugger

The ridership was NOTHING like it is now. It was a walk on or less than 10 minutes basically ALWAYS before the first refurb. Not that I minded, it was (still is) my favorite classic attraction.
It wasn't "dwindling" but it also wasn't drawing a crowd. Now it draws a crowd.

And you're right. Movies don't last long. Lets pull out all the movie based attractions. Because, you know, Fantasyland isn't ever busy with all the movie based attractions there.

Going to say "I meant live action"? I'm going to say Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and of course Great Movie Ride. None of which are ever hurting for crowds, though they all could use sprucing up, a la this refurb.

To be fair, Fantasyland is always busy in part because the rides designed for younger children are concentrated in that area. Also, Star Wars, Indiana Jones & the films in the Great Movie Ride have made a profound impact on cinema and/or solidified their staying power through the years. PotC may have been summer blockbusters, but their staying power is yet to be determined (although I hope they stand the test of time). I totally agree that it was sad to see the dwindling attendence for the ride. Even though I prefer the older version, I appreciate the refurb for the renewed interest. It's great to see a whole new generation experiencing this wonderful attraction. The last time I was at MK I rode PotC three times and was lucky enough to be with a few first-timers each trip. It was great:king:

cloudboy

Again, I have never seen this "dwindling ridership" that you are talking about. Do you have ridership figures that show how much it had dwindled? I have been going to the parks for almost 20 years, and I have not seen any change in lines since Fast Pass was added.

Now as far as movie based rides, with the exception of Tom Sawyers Island and Swiss Familly Robinson treehouse, nothing outside of FantasyLand was ever made after a movie. People sometimes think that since Disney made movies inspired by the lands for their TV show, there must have been a movie the ride was based on, but in fact there never was.

hokielutz

Again, I have never seen this "dwindling ridership" that you are talking about. Do you have ridership figures that show how much it had dwindled? I have been going to the parks for almost 20 years, and I have not seen any change in lines since Fast Pass was added.

I don't have ridership figures to quote you, but I can tell you for certain that during my trips to Disney in December of 94,& 97; and May of 99, 03, 04, & 05; I can say that Pirates was a relative walk on, or at least only a 10 minute wait. there were no gates setup outside of the main doors to the attraction. I do recall back in the 1980's there were lines that totaled 20-40 minutes.

When I last went on the ride, the wait was 20-30 minutes in the morning hours during the second week of this past December. So I do see some truth in what others are saying about higher ridership numbers for Pirates since it reopened compared to its last couple years before the famed rehab

MickeyTigg

Got in late last night from WDW. The Imaginears...messed up POTC. now I know that people love jack sparrow. Lots of angry posts to follow will say how wrong I am. I like the movies and I like the ride. One inspired the other but while similar they are seperate and thats how they should have stayed. I am a tradionalist. I want to take my three kids to the ride I went on if I want them to see capin jack I will turn on the DVDs.
This was the last ride Walt supervised. The gift shop even has asian themed "artifacts" to go along with the "asian pirate" in the auction scene. all for the new movie. I am fine with progress and I know I am late to the party with this referb happining long ago. I am fine with little changes but the skull before the drop is gone and the whole last room shrunk. My wife bought me the soundtrack which includes the float through to shut me up... It didn't work.

WDW and DL are not museums.....they will forever be changing and evolving.

The fact of the matter is most people know the movies and not the original ride. People were asking where Jack was....it had to be done.

Frankly, I like the changes.

head mouse

ROFL!! Well put Lee!! :lol:

I think this can be nominated for best post of the week! Well done Lee! :ROFLOL:

You know, there is no need to be rude. You do not own this place, you do not know half of what you think you know. so untill you actually research and find facts. I suggest you zip it. Thats all 3 of you.

Thank you! I just can't abide false information. It really just annoys the heck out of me.

Then study more facts and find out what the TRUTH is rather then just believing what you read on one little web board. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom