Rude People at the World!

ThinkTink721

I think I posted this same incident on another thread, but I had an experience w/ a rude person at MGM:
It was during the parade & it was raining to make matters worse.
We were about 2 to 3 rows behind the front of the parade crowd.
A woman literally pushed people out of her way to try & make it to the front of the crowd.
She did not even bother to excuse herself.
She got as far as where I was & stood directly in front of me, determined to take pics.
I usually don't say anything to people in these types of situations, but after the parade was over, I turned to her & said, "I hope you got your picture!"
:mad:

sleepybear

Maybe I am just lucky, but on my last trip I only had one time where I ran into "rude" people. They weren't so much rude, but It was one of the "Im catching up to my friends" times. There was ONE girl about 5 people ahead of me, and then there were about 4-5 people trying to "catch up" to her. I stopped them as they tried to pass me and my Fiance and told them "Wouldnt it make more sence for her to go back to you FOUR instead of you 4 going up to HER???" and the girl ended up going back behind us, and she just kept to her friends and giving me attitude. One of the only times I wanted to actually punch someone while there...

Yeah, four kids tried that with me on Pirates. I just said, "I don't care. You WILL stand in line behind me." I look intimidating, so it worked. But they were bratty the rest of the time in line. Then they got on the same boat as us. It's a shame they didn't fall overboard.

dannytaylor

in the summer of 2005 when my family myself and a friend and his son that that had just got into a VERY LONG line for stitch due to one of the "pods"going down the wait time went from 20min to 1hr and 45 min.Well we have never been on it and the kids wanted to ride it so we waited in that line in 100deg.heat.Well to make this story short---as we got to the front there was 2 teenage girls and their grandmother standing just outside the rope line and as we were going through the turnstile the grandmother told the girls 'go ahead now its ok nobody is looking and i will be right here when you get out".Well the couple behind us just became bezerk and went off on the girls and told them'that they had been in this #@*!@&^line for a $%@#^%$ hr and a half and they could take thier behinds to the back of line where they had started"well there girls told them this was'nt there business and shutup and mind thier own business,after a small confrintation my friend and i obliged the couple in helping removing the 2 girls,I just think this was vey rude of the grandmother to do that and showing them the wrong thing in life to do to others.

Montyboy

It is true that rude people are everywhere. Yesterday when I was filling my gas tank up, a 20 something girl pulled up to the other pump with her nasty x-rated music playing so loud that people across the street could hear every word. She had it playing while she pumped her gas. I had my door open because my children were in there and I had been talking to them while I waited. The "F" word was all in that song and I was getting more mad by the second. I finally said to my kids, I don't want you hearing this nasty song, and I slammed my car door. The girl heard me and never skipped a beat. I got into the car and told my kids that you don't do things like that... it's very rude.

Why didn't you ask her to turn it down (or off)?

Montyboy

Okay, I didn't know that.

I figured she would have tried that before slamming the car door on her kids.

Does this apply to The South in general or just Alabama?

BTW, my daughter is old enough now that I can't watch "Family Guy" wth her in the room.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Okay, I didn't know that.

I figured she would have tried that before slamming the car door on her kids.

Does this apply to The South in general or just Alabama?

BTW, my daughter is old enough now that I can't watch "Family Guy" wth her in the room.

I would venture to say the South in general.

It's the same attitude that causes some of the "rudeness" at WDW.

rdour@techminds

Ah, this thread has gotten me thinking about some real issues I'll be having on my next trip. I'm blind and going solo to WDW in December.

Things I may do that just may seem rude, but I can't help it:

* Tripping little kids with my cane. I can't see them.
* Tapping people in line to see if the line has moved in the last 30 seconds. Or, standing there while people do move and having the people behind me get irritated.
* Appear to cut in line, as I didn't know where the line had started or the direction in which a non-roped line has queued.
* Not in a wheelchair but using the access lane at bus stops so I can peek in the doors when they open adn ask "which bus is this?" Since WDW isn't cool like most major cities with the talking bus doors. I'm probably spoiled here in Chicago.

The things I'm thinking will be done to me that are rude:

* People cutting in front of me in line because they know I can't see it. I hear you though, so don't think ya can get away with it unless you're stealthly.
* Getting run over by one of those electric carts.
* Being run into by people rushing while not paying any attention, assuming people will just get out of the way.
(and my big finish)
* People who will not pay attention to where they are walking, and will trip over my cane, snapping it in half in the process. This reason alone is why I plan to pack 5 canes while at WDW. If I even snap one, I'll be ordering another with overnight delivery. This one tool is so essential to my journey there that if I break all of my canes I'm going to get stuck in my hotel room waiting for an overnight delivery of another cane. I hope 5 is enough for 7 days.

I've traveled alone, but never to somewhere this crowded. WHen I was a teenager I used to work at SIx Flags Great America. I loved it, but snapped many canes and did my sharing of tripping little kids. In crowded places this just can't be avoided. However, there are two things I wish people would do. Watch where you're going, you can, I can't. Please mind your kids, they don't realize I won't walk around them. I wish I could, really I do.

Ryan

KingStefan

Ah, this thread has gotten me thinking about some real issues I'll be having on my next trip. I'm blind and going solo to WDW in December....
Ryan

Ryan, you are one cool guy. Hope you have a great time.

BTW, you type better than most people on this board, including me! :lol: How do you manage it? Do you use special tools? Just curious, don't mean to pry!

rdour@techminds

I guess I don't think too much about the technology I personally use to access a computer. I'm actually a business analyst, working as a consultant for several years.

I primarily use a Mac, but you won't see that as the first choice of many visually impaired individuals. It has a built-in screen reading component. If you've got a Mac, try it out:

1. Go to System Preferences.
2. Click on Universal Access
3. Check out "Voiceover" and open its utility and read the very short help section.

Now, try using it to read through these boards. It may seem difficult, but I'm doing it in my pjs in bed with my BT keyboard with the laptop on the desk on the other side of the room speaking to me. Yeah, I'm a geek, it sits right next to my pillow at night so when I first wake up I grab it and check my email. This is usually my second or third stop before I need to get up for the day. I've fallen asleep typing messages on here before.

Now, on Windows, and for most of my professional work, I use JAWS. It stands for Job Access With Speech, and it is a bolted on afterthought for Windows. I say that because it is clunkier than Voiceover, even though it costs $1100 per copy. Did I mention Voiceover was free?

Anyway, I also use other technologies such as braille embosser (braille printer), touch sensative tablets that allow me to label and feel things like UML diagrams, etc. For you database types, I do my own ER diagramming. Not easy, but it gets done.

To tell all of you the truth, I am waiting for Disney to do more when it comes to adapting things for the visually impaired. I think going on a solo trip may actually draw some attention to the subject. The ecxcuse could be that someone else is there to guide you if you're with others, but what about blind couples? Heck, I actually have met a few blind families where two parents had the same condition and passed it down to their kids. Yeah, I'll leave the agree or disagreement for a different forum. But, yeah they exist, and would love to go to WDW. They can't though, simply because taking that risk with kids isn't a good thing. I actually plan to document my trip in detail, because I'd love to publish things I learn while having fun on this trip.

Past trips have not been solo to WDW. Usually with family or a girlfriend. Now, I'm going simply because I love going, and nobody else wants to go. My girlfriend broke up with me about 3 months ago, but that doesn't mean I don't want to go. I'll also be spending some of my time with people. Paul Barry from Window to the Magic, Jana and Mike from Let's Talk About Disney. Let us not forget about Mousefest. I'll have plenty of people to meet, and will have a whole new bunch of people to email, call, and Skype by the end of this.

Ryan

PintoColvig

It wouldn't be a trip to WDW without an encounter with a rude person. Aren't they part of Streetmosphere?

Personally, I don't mind these threads. It gives people a place to get their bad experiences off of their chests.

grunter

I'll tell you who I'm really not fond of: flash photo-takers in dark rides.

Last February as we were taking our first Pirates of the Caribbean ride, this family of four in front of us decided they needed to literally document every 10' of the ride. They passed a flash camera back and forth across the boat - sometimes frantically - hoping to get an image of literally every animatronic character or distinctive "pirate" motif. They took upwards of 50 pictures, each with a giant flash that ruined many of the in-ride effects and that could not possibly have looked good on their digital camera. The Johnny Depp figures literally got a red carpet paparazzi flash-bombing - as did the "Dead Men tell no tales" projection on the fog screen.

I'm sorry, but it should be perfectly legal to snatch the cameras from these selfish insolent "guests" and toss it in the drink.

And we won't even get into the woman who on "It's a Small World" decided to answer her CELL PHONE and chat loudly over the theme song in a Massachusetts "drawl" about her grandmother's digestion problems and the proper mix of soft to dry foods to feed her dog.

WDWcouple

About a week before the F&WF my wife bought us shirts to wear that we thought would be a hoot. Mine said in big letters on the back "Will Sell Wife For Beer" and her's said "Will Sell Husband For Wine"

Well throughout the day the shorts brought in great comment and men offering me some wine for my wife... It was a blast.. Well the day had progressed nicely and my wife and I had just finished a great lunch at Biergarten. (Home of the Gallon O' Beer)

I was walking a little ahead to grab a Becks and apparently a lady said to her husband right in front of my wife "What kind of self respecting wh--e of a woman would let her husband wear that"

Not skipping a beat and with the courage of a tipsy Evil Keenevel my wife responded with a "Yo bit-h behind you!.. maybe if you gave you husband his b---s back our of that box you keep in your purse you two may start to enjoy yourselves a little more.... Have a Magical Day"

We then walked off together and the clueless husband said.... "Oh I get it honey they match.. Its not disrespectful"

Goes to show you never know who's around you

sandicinderelli

To tell all of you the truth, I am waiting for Disney to do more when it comes to adapting things for the visually impaired. I think going on a solo trip may actually draw some attention to the subject. The ecxcuse could be that someone else is there to guide you if you're with others, but what about blind couples? Heck, I actually have met a few blind families where two parents had the same condition and passed it down to their kids. Yeah, I'll leave the agree or disagreement for a different forum. But, yeah they exist, and would love to go to WDW. They can't though, simply because taking that risk with kids isn't a good thing. I actually plan to document my trip in detail, because I'd love to publish things I learn while having fun on this trip.

Thanks for sharing your point of view. In my time working at WDW, I rarely encountered visually impaired guests, so a publication about the challenges they face would be phenomenal. It could be incorporated in training, which would be awesome, so that cast members can be ready to assist.

WDW and the other theme parks should be accessible to EVERYONE. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with. Have fun on your trip! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom