Room Security Checks

Tom P.

You can call housekeeping and request a certain time for them to check the room. We give them the time we want for our entire stay, they are very accommodating.
Call me cynical, but doesn't this kinda defeat the purpose of a spot check? I mean, if someone has intentions of doing something bad, can't they just call and request a specific check time and make sure the room is in good condition to pass inspection at that particular time?

Cariad

I'm sorry, but with the amount of senseless mass shooting tragedies we have had, I am all for a little bit of inconvenience in the name of caution. This little bit of inconvenience could have saved 50+ lives in Vegas in 2017.
I have no problem with room checks, but I feel they should be done during the mornings when the likelihood of interrupting a much needed nap is unlikely. It shouldn't take the place of housekeeping either.

Cariad

Ever considered that device was checking for drugs?
I recently stayed at the hotel for military in London and my room was serviced to high standard daily, why is Disney seemingly the only hospitality provider that treats guests so badly when it comes to facilities and services at their resorts?

KDM31091

Call me cynical, but doesn't this kinda defeat the purpose of a spot check? I mean, if someone has intentions of doing something bad, can't they just call and request a specific check time and make sure the room is in good condition to pass inspection at that particular time?
This exactly. Makes no sense to me that you can request a time.

bwr827

Good to know we can request a time range for this. We got interrupted once during an afternoon rest last year. Didn’t realize it was a “thing”.

We are guaranteed to be out of our rooms from 7am until noon, and again from 3 or 4pm until late evening.

Cariad

This is how you know they’re checking a box.
I have asked front desk as to why they do it and that it is more of a security risk than an aid and tbe CM couldn't give me an answer. No other hotel does it and to me it's an excuse not to do daily housekeeping. To be honest Disney are the dirtiest hotel chain out there, they won't change bedding, dust, clean bathrooms or vacuum despite their premium prices.

John park hopper

So what is the point of room check if a bad person wanted to do harm they could drive and keep whatever in their car. This is nothing more than a feel good move on Disney's part accomplishes nothing

EOD K9

There has been upgrades to technology surrounding explosives detection. For a long time trained explosive dogs were utilized on scene but they now have hand held vapor detecting instruments that suck in scents and analyze them for minute traces of materials used in explosives. These hand held devices are very sensitive and are being used more frequently as preventative measures and security. You get an instantaneous reading that alerts you if something is present.
True, but the dog is still your best tool.

JIMINYCR

True, but the dog is still your best tool.
I was explaining what the device was, not saying a dog wasnt the best option. Yes. As dog trainers we know the dog is always the best option.... but that is always determined on how aware the handler is and how they can read their dog. Theres a lot of times the handler misses the cues the dog is desperately sending out. Handler error is always a factor.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

So what is the point of room check if a bad person wanted to do harm they could drive and keep whatever in their car. This is nothing more than a feel good move on Disney's part accomplishes nothing
Nothing is going to be fool proof. Over the years their security measures have improved and if they wanted to they could be more draconian. You put into action a plan that you hope deters/stops some of the bad things from happening. They could go much further but then youre really going to be affecting guests enjoyment even more.

G00fyDad

These are noting more than a PR stunt. They are not deterring anything. That Vegas shooter was a freak incident where he rented a room and laid all of his weapons out on the bed. Disney is doing this to say "We are doing our part to keep you safe." while actually accomplishing nothing other than ticking people off who are trying to take a break mid-day.

Lilofan

These are noting more than a PR stunt. They are not deterring anything. That Vegas shooter was a freak incident where he rented a room and laid all of his weapons out on the bed. Disney is doing this to say "We are doing our part to keep you safe." while actually accomplishing nothing other than ticking people off who are trying to take a break mid-day.
Theatre is better than no theatre. Security presence deterred the bad guy who cased out Springs. He then went to Pulse to go on his rampage which also cost the life of a MK CM.

erstwo

Couldn’t This same logic could be applied to every aspect of our lives?
Why have TSA? Bad guys can find a way around it and bring weapons on a plane.
Why lock your doors? Bad guys can find another way in your house.

TrainsOfDisney

Couldn’t This same logic could be applied to every aspect of our lives?
Why have TSA? Bad guys can find a way around it and bring weapons on a plane.
Why lock your doors? Bad guys can find another way in your house.
Yes…. And it’s true in both of those cases. I think the room checks are silly and unnecessary, but I personally have yet to even encounter one so I can’t say they have affected me at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom