Room Security Checks

DisneyFanatic12

When I was at OKW a while back, security brought a dog and something that appeared to be similar to a vacuum around. It looked as if they sucked out a little air from the room, stood there for a little, and then went to the next door. The "vacuum" wasn't really audible, though. Certainly not the most common room check system, and I haven't seen them do it since, but I found it interesting.

Cariad

Keep your guns and drugs in your locked suitcase- problem solved.

I honestly don't think coyotes are booking rooms at the Grand Floridian for purposes of human trafficking. I may be wrong though. I have very little experience in human trafficking.
I doubt they want to spend the money on a room at Disney for anything nefarious. Beside all they ever did was look in the bathroom, so under the bed would be all you needed to hide stuff, they never even vacuum under there.

JIMINYCR

When I was at OKW a while back, security brought a dog and something that appeared to be similar to a vacuum around. It looked as if they sucked out a little air from the room, stood there for a little, and then went to the next door. The "vacuum" wasn't really audible, though. Certainly not the most common room check system, and I haven't seen them do it since, but I found it interesting.
There has been upgrades to technology surrounding explosives detection. For a long time trained explosive dogs were utilized on scene but they now have hand held vapor detecting instruments that suck in scents and analyze them for minute traces of materials used in explosives. These hand held devices are very sensitive and are being used more frequently as preventative measures and security. You get an instantaneous reading that alerts you if something is present.

KDM31091

I'm sorry, but with the amount of senseless mass shooting tragedies we have had, I am all for a little bit of inconvenience in the name of caution. This little bit of inconvenience could have saved 50+ lives in Vegas in 2017.

Lilofan

I'm sorry, but with the amount of senseless mass shooting tragedies we have had, I am all for a little bit of inconvenience in the name of caution. This little bit of inconvenience could have saved 50+ lives in Vegas in 2017.
Security measures are improved AFTER an incident happens - Fact

cbarry26

I stayed at a hotel opposite Disneyland last year, serviced properly every day so no need for a room check. Then went to Pop and the room was never properly serviced, the bed was only made once and that was on request. I ended up ordering a swiffer and Clorox wipes from Instacart to sweep the floor and clean the room as two weeks without dusting or vacuuming or a clean bathroom is unhealthy.
I stay at hotels regularly and Disney is the only one that has a total lack of regular housekeeping. But, I didn't have any room checks.
I've been at Disney hotels, all levels, a lot over the past two years and haven't had that issue at all. Value and Moderate is supposed to be every other day. Deluxe is every day. That's been pretty consistent as far as I can tell.

NelleBelle

it’s kind of a strange practice because nobody wants to be disturbed when using a hotel they paid for. I’ve never been in the room when anyone came by at a Disney hotel though.
This is my experience as well. We always come back to the room for a rest break/pool time and have never been interrupted. However, we have had housekeeping knock on our room at 8:00ish to see if they could make the room up. We usually just tell them we'll be out of the room shortly and when we expect to return.

Tom P.

It's security theater and nothing more. It's designed to shield Disney from lawsuit liability. That's it. It would be so trivially easy for anyone doing something nefarious to avoid detection. It's just another inconvenience we've decided to accept in the name of "security" that is accomplishing nothing.

castlecake2.0

That sounds more like a bed bug check

JIMINYCR

Could be the case but Disneys k9 team does check resorts for bed bugs among other things.
In that case they would have had to have entered the room . Bed bug detecting dogs are specifically trained for detecting for that and must enter a space to scent out the bug or bug eggs. The OP stated that the security stood in one spot, used his device and left. The dog did not enter the room for a search pattern. Also it would be highly unlikely that a k9 accompanying a security officer would be trained for that.

JIMINYCR

Yea, it was WDW security. If it was one of those hand held detectors, it’s crazy how much security changes over time! Thanks for the insight!
You're welcome. As a professional dog trainer with multi training background including years of K9 experience, I know some things others dont know. Also maintaining contact with K9 handlers Im kept in the loop of new devices and up to date training techniques being employed.

reptar77

You can call housekeeping and request a certain time for them to check the room. We give them the time we want for our entire stay, they are very accommodating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom