Rock'n'Rollercoaster refurb official

Yankeeplex

That sucks...RRC, TOT, and ST are the only draws @ MGM right now. Disney has a real opportunity to update some of the older rides, hear me George Lucas, and make it a destination again instead of a 3-4 hour stop.

DDuckFan130

Hee hee...I'll be at MGM on September 3rd :ROFLOL:

Haven't been on RNRC in a while...should be fun to ride again :D

And I am also an Aerosmith fan :D :D :D

DisneyGigi

Hee hee...I'll be at MGM on September 3rd :ROFLOL:

Haven't been on RNRC in a while...should be fun to ride again :D

And I am also an Aerosmith fan :D :D :D

I will be there on the 2nd.... (maybe 3rd for a few more rides) :D

(Aerosmith fan too)

but I feel everyone elses pain...:(

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think people also get their expectations up way too high...

My trip to London had a good chunk of the city and nearly every single tourist attraction with some sort of refurbishment wall. There was no warning whatsoever, but no one seemed to care, even if these massive monuments were completely obscured.

So why do folks get so bent out of shape when a few out of hundreds of attractions and things to do at WDW are closed for their trip, during the discounted season with an obvious perk to attract more people...

*shrug* Peoples is picky.

jsfra209

Barely a month's notice for one of the biggest attractions at the resort? I don't think thats the best way to handle a rehab at all.

I agree completley...not very nice of them...not that it matters for me, but still, its sad for those who have already scheduled their vacations. Not cool... :mad:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I dare say this rehab came as a bit of a shock to the Mouse too - CMs who knew nothing about it indicates a rush to get it done. All the pointers are to something that needs doing sooner than later, something unexpected, and possibly linked to the launch issues earlier this year. This could be the earliest opportunity they have in getting the parts together, for a job that needs to be done ASAP. For whatever reason. It is unusual to have minimum warning, but in this case it looks like no-ones fault, short of a posting saying "RnRC will close for rehab sometime in the next 12 months".

dave2822

I dare say this rehab came as a bit of a shock to the Mouse too - CMs who knew nothing about it indicates a rush to get it done.

I find it funny how many people are on this board, with no knowledge of how or when the rehab was determined, proclaiming Disney "handled this rehab the wrong way" and "know" that they could have announced it sooner ...

Really? I'm glad everyone's so knowledgeable about roller coaster maintenance. I would think that the fact this rehab was tentaively thrown out there in June means they knew something was up, they didn't want to "officially" announce it, wanted to see if they could prolong the rehab, and then determined whatever it was was too serious to wait.

I agree with ya martin, the way this was rushed into rehab (coupled with the issues it had a month ago) makes me assume something needs to be done more than just a touch-up job ... but hey, what do I know, I'm sure Disney is just out to ruin everyone's trip :lookaroun

bassman

i cant believe how upset people are getting.

RnRC is 1 of my fav's (i love aerosmith) and sure its a bummer its going to be down for half of my trip,but so what,i always visit WDW september/october time and i am surprised if there isnt any attractions down for refurb.
when i get to WDW this year,i only have 2 days from landing to get on BTM,sure it sucks but so what.

at the end of the day,people need to think about what it will be like when its done.
think about what HM is going to be like when that opens back up with the new additions.

and RnRC for that matter,sure it may only be cosmetic,a little touch up here and there,but it will still be nice and clean and almost new.

gettingsmaller

i always visit WDW september/october time

This is possibly why you can have such an easy attitude about it. For those of us that get to go every 2, 5, or 10 years (or once in a lifetime), it's a little more of a bummer.

I'm willing to concede that it could have been an "emergency rehab" for Disney, but I still reserve the right to be bummed. A lot of people here have acted like Disney bought me off with free dining and that I should practically be happy that rides are shut down... I have also read people complain on these boards about guests having attitudes like "well, I paid to come here, so I should get to do whatever I want, including be rude to CMs, etc.". Well, I feel like some of you guys are like "Well, Disney gave you free dining, so they can do whatever the heck they want. Why should you expect the Magic Kingdom to be open anyway? Plenty of places to eat at Epcot!"

My trip to London had a good chunk of the city and nearly every single tourist attraction with some sort of refurbishment wall. There was no warning whatsoever, but no one seemed to care, even if these massive monuments were completely obscured.
If this was my once-in-a-lifetime trip to London (which it likely would be), I definitely WOULD care. I'd probably be seriously disappointed that I couldn't get some cool pictures, etc.. Would I still try to have a good time? Of course, but I'd still be disappointed about not being able to take some cool pictures of things. I don't expect the world (or the World) to revolve around me, but if I get some warning on things, I could at least plan ahead...

devoy1701

That sucks...RRC, TOT, and ST are the only draws @ MGM right now. Disney has a real opportunity to update some of the older rides, hear me George Lucas, and make it a destination again instead of a 3-4 hour stop.

I beg the differ on this... "Lights, Motors, Action" is a REALLY good show. I saw it for the first time this March and was skeptical because I was really bummed that they had abreviated the Backlot Tour (I hadn't been to MGM in a number of years...though I did go last Dec but skipped the show).

I highly recommend this show for anyone visiting MGM while RnR is down or anytime for that matter.

EPCOT.nut

I beg the differ on this... "Lights, Motors, Action" is a REALLY good show. I saw it for the first time this March and was skeptical because I was really bummed that they had abreviated the Backlot Tour (I hadn't been to MGM in a number of years...though I did go last Dec but skipped the show).

I highly recommend this show for anyone visiting MGM while RnR is down or anytime for that matter.

"Lights, Motors, Action" is a good show, but I would only want to see it once.
If you go while it is hot, I highly recommend that you stop at that outdoor bar and get some frozen drinks. The Pina Colada that I had during the show really added to the enjoyment factor. Also sitting up in the top rows was a nice view. The people-watching was excellent.

Pete C

Agree 100%...me and my friends LOVED this show. If you are into cars it is pure adrenaline junkie goodness. The drivers are insanely talented. This show gets bashed way too much around here by those that would rather watch people singing and dancing. To each their own.

TopRowSeat

I'm guessing most guests, with even 6 months notice, wouldn't have changed their entire plans over the unfortunate incident of one attraction being down.

I actually did that once. We were planning a trip in January/February 06 and were talking about that being rehab season. I had joked about the fact that as long as Buzz Lightyear was running we could live without just about any other attraction.

My 4 year old was a complete Buzz freak at the time.

Sure enough, we learned that Buzz Lightyear was going to be down.

Made a few phone calls, got lucky with the airlines and we were able to move our trip back a few weeks until Buzz reopened without it costing us any money.

We rode Buzz 18 times in 6 days. (and we didn't go to the MK every day)

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone but for our family it was the right thing to do.

CrackerJack

We are going in less than a month. Was already looking at a shorter day at MGM -- now that we won't be going on RnRC, I guess it will be even shorter.

My list of necessary things to do at MGM:
Tower of Terror
Great Movie Ride
Lights, Motor, Action (since we have not seen this yet)
Fantasmic

Anything else, we've either seen numerous times (i.e. Muppetvision) or is just plain annoying (i.e. Sounds Dangerous).

Maybe do a waterpark in the AM and MGM in the PM.

devoy1701

We are going in less than a month. Was already looking at a shorter day at MGM -- now that we won't be going on RnRC, I guess it will be even shorter.

My list of necessary things to do at MGM:
Tower of Terror
Great Movie Ride
Lights, Motor, Action (since we have not seen this yet)
Fantasmic

Anything else, we've either seen numerous times (i.e. Muppetvision) or is just plain annoying (i.e. Sounds Dangerous).

Maybe do a waterpark in the AM and MGM in the PM.

Depending on what age your kids are (assuming you have kids since you're stopping at a water park), another nice stop is the Sci Fi Dine-In Theater. You gotta make reservations for it, but it isn't too expensive (website says $15-$29 a person) and it's definitely unique dining experience with each group getting their own car as a table and watching clips of old sci fi movies. It's always on my must do list.

If you have a larger family or really young kids who probably wouldn't be interested in it...please disregard my advice :animwink:

Disneyfan1981

MGM definitely needs new E-Ticket and a couple of D-Tickets because as of right now on light days we finish it up in about 3 hours and only come back for Fantasmic and to ride ToT and RRC multiple times...

PintoColvig

So why do folks get so bent out of shape when a few out of hundreds of attractions and things to do at WDW are closed for their trip, during the discounted season with an obvious perk to attract more people...
Not everyone going to WDW during the refurb will have the obvious perk. The offer was being extended up through the last part of June. Those booking trips after are stuck with numerous refurbs without the free dining.

I'm bummed just a little but not too much. For the record, I planned my trip so that I could visit HM after its rehab. RnRC is a great ride and all but I doubt I would've moved my trip up by a few days to ride it before it went down. The wife and I had already discussed just stopping by the Studios to ride it and ToT. Now I guess our visit there will be more brief. It's time that we hear an announcement that a DCA-sized recovery program be instilled at the Studios.

nibblesandbits

I see both sides of the coin. I understand those of you who are saying that yes, we are indeed still getting a perk by getting the free dining and yes, we are going during a slow period, which is typically when refurbs happen.

However, I still think that Disney should have posted the refurb before now. It has at least been "known" about for a month...as it has been stated here. So, while it wouldn't have made much of a difference, (meaning, I still would have gone, no matter what) I still would have liked the so called "official" word sooner. The only reason I can think that it wasn't announced earlier though (which, could be a plausable explaination) is that Disney knew it was going down...just didn't know when exactly...because it was waiting on a part or something of the sort.

I don't know...all I know is yes, I'm gonna be bummed...and yes I have a right to be...but also, it has to happen and there's nothing I can do about it. I am getting a pretty fabulous perk in free dining-so it's kinda hard to be 100% upset.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom