News Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster closing for refurbishment in February 2023

JoeCamel

Aerosmith does seem to be fading, but rock is still alive. Queen, Elvis, and Elton John are continuing to enjoy their post biopic popularity bump. The Beatles continue to be popular as well. The Boss continues to sell out stadiums. Taste changes, but it would be nice if some new bands could crack into pop awareness the way the classic bands do.
When Tyler dies they will get a bump......
About that Queen comment…

Apparently, there are some in the company who think a dead lead singer is preferable since there are no further skeletons to discover in a closet.

Not sure how the story would work though. We aren’t going to see Freddie dropping tracks…
I saw an interview (here??) with the guy who did the sound engineer part of the preshow and he threw out Queen as the redo so I don't know how much he knows. Says the job paid 5K for one day and was in 1998, how much contact with those who would know of a retheme is unknown so I think that is where it is coming from

sullyinMT

Do you get Adam Lambert or deepfake Freddie? I’d personally enjoy a spin around the track to Innuendo or The Show Must Go On. I don’t buy it, though, so it’s probably moot.

I said it in the other thread, but the Foo Fighters have a pretty solid catalog, are immensely popular and contemporary, and acting chops for a preshow story. And they seem to be carrying on with show dates this summer after the death of drummer Taylor Hawkins.

Tha Realest

About that Queen comment…

Apparently, there are some in the company who think a dead lead singer is preferable since there are no further skeletons to discover in a closet.

Not sure how the story would work though. We aren’t going to see Freddie dropping tracks…
Rami Malek’s not busy

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I do like Queen but I’m almost 40 and by the time I discovered them their lead singer was dead.

If you were prime music discovery age (16) when Queen had their first hit with Seven Seas of Rhye, you are in your mid 60s.

It would be such a bummer to actually go and replace a group of old geezers with a group of old fogies.

Hopefully they’re wildly changing the theming while they’re changing the music (classic rock works just fine on Guardians), otherwise put the damn thing out of its misery.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I saw an interview (here??) with the guy who did the sound engineer part of the preshow and he threw out Queen as the redo so I don't know how much he knows. Says the job paid 5K for one day and was in 1998, how much contact with those who would know of a retheme is unknown so I think that is where it is coming from
And now he explains exactly how rumors get started --- TLDR: he has no idea what might be a retheme and just "heard somewhere" it might be Queen and threw it out there...

Sir_Cliff

I do like Queen but I’m almost 40 and by the time I discovered them their lead singer was dead.

If you were prime music discovery age (16) when Queen had their first hit with Seven Seas of Rhye, you are in your mid 60s.

It would be such a bummer to actually go and replace a group of old geezers with a group of old fogies.

Hopefully they’re wildly changing the theming while they’re changing the music (classic rock works just fine on Guardians), otherwise put the damn thing out of its misery.
Maybe this is different in America, but I feel that if you're not into Aerosmith the theme does seem a bit dated more than 'classic' or timeless'. I don't necessarily love the idea of a Queen coaster, but I can see why that would appeal as a catalogue of songs that has outlived the lead singer, sparked a film, seemed to have worked their way into the culture, etc. more so than Aerosmith. Again, that may be talking from a non-US perspective, where I don't know if Aerosmith songs are also considered classics. Or maybe it's just me!

There's also something about a ride being set around going to the concert of a band that still exists and for which all the footage was filmed back in the 1990s that adds to the ride feeling a little dated. If you were going to re-record the footage now, though, I doubt anyone would be looking to bring 2023 Aerosmith in to re-launch the attraction. Finding a setting that doesn't require them to film an actual band that will inevitably date would be a good idea, IMO. Honestly, I like the idea of dropping the "get to the concert" conceit and making it something like a cruising through California ride, perhaps with music like the Beach Boys.

As for the Iron Man version in Paris, at least the exterior and the queue are good! The ride itself is mostly just darkness which is odd, but the one plus is that the theme doesn't feel as tired as Aerosmith did.

ToTBellHop

Not sure why he would know anything.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I'd go with someone contemporary who is interesting, has music everyone knows worldwide and will remain relevant in 20 years. For me, that's Lady Gaga. She also has a enough avant-garde history to make something fun with the pre-show and in the ride itself.

Incomudro

I'd go with someone contemporary who is interesting, has music everyone knows worldwide and will remain relevant in 20 years. For me, that's Lady Gaga. She also has a enough avant-garde history to make something fun with the pre-show and in the ride itself.
So many people miss the point that the ride is supposed to be radical and dangerous for a Disney Coaster.
That's why it works as Rock and Roll and Aerosmith, and wouldn't work for Gaga.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom