News Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster closing for refurbishment in February 2023

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The only "rough" steel coaster I've ridden was Vortex too many times. Others I haven't has much issues. Wood on the other hand, I feel like a ping pong ball.

Let me introduce you to some old Vekomas, Arrows, and B&Ms... I can point to quite a few older Vekoma SLCs and Boomerangs that I would quickly describe as "rough". And the older B&M stand-ups (even the ones that have since been converted to floorless) are a bit jarring.

For wood coasters, it's all about maintenance. Sure, most newer wooden coasters are still relatively smooth, but I've been on plenty of older well maintained wooden coasters that still run wonderfully (Phoenix at Knoebels and Comet at Hershey come to mind quickly)

_caleb

Let me introduce you to some old Vekomas, Arrows, and B&Ms... I can point to quite a few older Vekoma SLCs and Boomerangs that I would quickly describe as "rough". And the older B&M stand-ups (even the ones that have since been converted to floorless) are a bit jarring.

For wood coasters, it's all about maintenance. Sure, most newer wooden coasters are still relatively smooth, but I've been on plenty of older well maintained wooden coasters that still run wonderfully (Phoenix at Knoebels and Comet at Hershey come to mind quickly)
Whoever is responsible for maintenance on The Grizzly at King’s Dominion should be tried for assault.

zipadee999

Hopefully the queue gets some work during this refurb. I always thought it seemed very boring. They could easily make it a rock history museum rather than just hallways with some posters.

If they change the IP, I say they go with KISS. They could keep the 70s hard rock feel while going with a band that has greater appeal. KISS is such a pop-culture staple that people who can’t name a single song still rush out to buy their T-shirts. While Aerosmith is simply just a band (a really good one), KISS is a full blown icon and a brand. They could use the characters, Star-Child, Demon, Spaceman, and Catman, and incorporate them into the ride somehow so it’s less of a generic ride through LA.

Supposedly KISS was one of the original proposals and the top choice of Disney, but Gene wanted too much money so they went with Aerosmith as a backup. Now that KISS is wrapping up their touring and Gene has said he’s looking for ways to keep the band alive after they’re done performing, he might be more likely to throw a reasonable price. IMO KISS is the best of both worlds because it keeps the hard rock theme while also appealing to younger people as well as people who aren’t hard-core music fans

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Whoever is responsible for maintenance on The Grizzly at King’s Dominion should be tried for assault.

Fortunately, Kings Dominion has called in Gravity Group to do a pretty extensive overhaul on Grizzly for the 2023 season. They are replacing a large portion of the track with Gravity Group's pre-fabricated wooden track (something that was done quite successfully on King's Islands Beast and Racer in recent years which substantially improved those rides). It's pre-fabricated wooden segments (as opposed to replacing the wood with steel like RMC famously does or rebuilding the wooden track on site as is traditionally done). I'm cautiously optimistic that Grizzly will be much better in 2023 when it reopens. But yeah, prior to this year, Grizzly was getting pretty terrible.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Well whenever I feel down I just watch this to remind me that this never happened here...

BAHAHAHA OH Ho ho That's supposed to be outer space! Haaa It's trying so haaard!

That's dreadful.
I pray for the death in the interest of all things Marvel if it would prevent this from happening at WDW.
Long live Aerosmith.

Last edited:

J4546

I will say as dissapointing as the iron man coaster seems to be, the exterior looks pretty cool, esp at night with the eye looking over the land

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Imagine spending millions of dollars in 2023 towards an Aerosmith attraction.
I always find this sentiment *interesting* due to the fact that Aerosmith and Disney created such a symbiotic partnership. Honestly, for a length of time, one's success in specific circumstances heavily relied upon the other. Armageddon gave Aerosmith their first #1 single of the 90's and brought the band's recent successes to a younger audience. Meanwhile, Touchstone Pictures/Disney found Armageddon to be the highest grossing film of 1998. RnRC mutually benefitted both parties, with Aerosmith once again exposing their entire catalogue to a younger audience, while propelling the sales of their album Nine Lives. Disney gained a wildly popular attraction for pennies on the dollar, an instant classic.

Honestly, I think of Aerosmith and Hollywood Studios just as synonymously as The Twilight Zone. They're iconic pieces of Disney Parks history and one of the greatest bands in the history of modern music. It's music that deserves to live on with new generations and has its righteous place in a theme park that celebrates not only films, but the geographic culture of California and Hollywood life. It may not be as popular anymore, but Rock n Roll was an American staple, and you really can't get better ambassadors for that vibe than Aerosmith. Its a tragedy to think there are kids who haven't heard Angel or Sweet Emotion.

J4546

When disney does eventually expand onto the northwest quadrant of the studios park, hopefully rnrc will be scrapped as part of the expansion and replaced with something much better

No Name

Serious question: do you like “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon” at Universal?
No, not that much. It never had a line last time I was there so that’s cool.

I’m mostly curious why you asked the question. I’m going to assume you’re not trying to equate the two attractions, one which is an energetic coaster and one which is a humorous simulator.

_caleb

No, not that much. It never had a line last time I was there so that’s cool.

I’m mostly curious why you asked the question. I’m going to assume you’re not trying to equate the two attractions, one which is an energetic coaster and one which is a humorous simulator.
No, not comparing the rides at all! I ask because the queue theming and conceit is similar (TV studio vs. music studio), and I always thought these were unthemed. But in recent years I’ve had the chance to tour actual movie and music studios, and yep, that’s exactly what they look like!

I know you’re a fan of Rock N Roller Coaster, I was just curious about your thoughts on the queue. Fallon is perhaps a more modern version (with the “hang out in the lobby until your color group is called approach).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom