River Country Rumor!

PhilharMagician

Good riddance. It will never open again due to water issues and is a safety trap and visual eyesore. I think TDO/Glendale got ed at one too many rouge photo reports from the area.
I was under the impression that when RC closed shortly after 911 it was because of the huge drop in tourism and lack of people walking through the turnstiles. It's location also was part of it's demise. With 2 fairly new water parks in DD & TL it only made sense to close RC.

They already have that between the Contemporary and the Transportation and ticket center.

The area between the Contemporary and TTC failed testing and was deemed not stabile to build on. Maybe Martin can chime and better explain.

PurpleRose

I was under the impression that when RC closed shortly after 911 it was because of the huge drop in tourism and lack of people walking through the turnstiles. It's location also was part of it's demise. With 2 fairly new water parks in DD & TL it only made sense to close RC.

RC used the land's natural resource of water, the lake, to fill the water areas. No water filtration system, no pipes. Just water from the lake. New legislation came down in FL that they couldn't do that anymore. So it was closed.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
RC used the land's natural resource of water, the lake, to fill the water areas. No water filtration system, no pipes. Just water from the lake. New legislation came down in FL that they couldn't do that anymore. So it was closed.

And I believe the ligislation arose due to some dangerous bacteria in stagnant (not as in stagnant swamp, just non moving) water systems in Florida....

Monorail_Orange

The area between the Contemporary and TTC failed testing and was deemed not stabile to build on. Maybe Martin can chime and better explain.

Well, take a look where I live (about 5 feet below sea level and sinking about 3 inches every 10 years :eek:) and believe me when I tell you they could still build on that site. The catch is, construction would be far more expensive there than many other more stable areas that are undeveloped. Granted, they don't put you on the monorail route.

Just pointing out they CAN build on that site if they wanted to, it would just be more engineered to work in those soil conditions, which makes it a lot more expensive.

BalooChicago

I have heard through the CM grapevine from a friend that works in Glendale (I know us CM's aren't the most reliable sources sometimes but that is why I am saying rumor) that bull dozers will be heading to demolish the entire park soon. Can anyone confirm this?

I wonder if the whole area didn't have some sort of safety/risk audit after the bus accident.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, take a look where I live (about 5 feet below sea level and sinking about 3 inches every 10 years :eek:) and believe me when I tell you they could still build on that site. The catch is, construction would be far more expensive there than many other more stable areas that are undeveloped. Granted, they don't put you on the monorail route.

Just pointing out they CAN build on that site if they wanted to, it would just be more engineered to work in those soil conditions, which makes it a lot more expensive.
They`ve tried. 3 times so far as I know. The pillings got down to 220ft or there abouts and sank.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I had heard shortly after the permit was filed to remove the walkway that they are bulldozing the whole thing and building DVC cabins on the lake, the only rooms with direct lakeside access.

mickeysgal

I loved RC...although it was a pain to get there. If a hotel is built there, I can't see anything other than a DVC (maybe an expansion of WLV with some 3 bedroom villas).

I have seen those videos and pictures of Pop (Legendary Years) but never realized how visible they were to the entrance of the resort. I was shocked when our Disney Express bus pulled in there and there it was in all it's sad glory! Poor show by Disney on that part...they could have at least threw on some paint and made it look somewhat polished.

b94ronman

I never had a chance to go to river country, but my understanding & from seeing all the photos, it was directly connected to bay lake.....might be a stupid question, but could it be a safety hazzard to even try and rebuild something like that due to the gator population in florida? with video of them getting into splash mountain and other area's of the parks...could it be Disney just doesn't want to risk that type of accident? just a thought.

Thunder Fan

Pop Century other buildings

I think a new "Zombieland" themed hotel would be very cool for those abandoned buildings.

Building 1 - Cardio etc...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom