Rise of the Resistance

Trackmaster

Its funny that the Disney guests squabble and insult each because half the group want Boarding Groups/Fast Pass and half the group want standby only. The problem is not the system, the problem is that Disney thought it was smart to stop doing omnimovers and to start making major attractions based on insanely popular IPs that sit send out sets of two cars of 8 people occasionally (and with Covid, that meant sometimes down to one person per car). On top of that, DHS is so underbuilt even now and just doesn't have enough attractions. I know people are going to moan and say "Oh I don't go for rides, stop building rides" well great then, please stay off my rides because you don't want them and you're causing the lines.

Disney needs to stop obsessing over what systems their using and start getting high capacity rides and not saying "oh let's a new ride, oh wait, well better bulldoze something else, God forbid we actually have a net positive ride gain afterwards." Meanwhile they're shoving upcharge food and drinks and retail down on throats instead of giving us what we already paid for. What kind of a nutcase would pay $140 to go to shopping mall and then you spend money on overpriced stuff on top?

Rockishcoco

Disney needs to stop obsessing over what systems their using and start getting high capacity rides and not saying "oh let's a new ride, oh wait, well better bulldoze something else, God forbid we actually have a net positive ride gain afterwards."
Hard agree on this. Especially at WDW. It’s sorta understandable at land constricted DL but any attraction or expansion plan at WDW that doesn’t take their biggest asset, insane amounts of land, into account is just shortsighted.

Trackmaster

Hard agree on this. Especially at WDW. It’s sorta understandable at land constricted DL but any attraction or expansion plan at WDW that doesn’t take their biggest asset, insane amounts of land, into account is just shortsighted.

And the ironic thing is that DLR has been doing positive gains with their ride line-up. They'll keep the old stuff and add new stuff. WDW is where they usually just update a building with a ride ride or even just update the IP and theming and just call it a new ride. The demand has been there for sure. People were still packing themselves in high numbers in DHS when Slinky was the #1 ride before even Galaxy's Edge. And the same thing with that park: Galaxy's Edge replaced that stunt show that was pretty fun, and Micky and Minnie Replaced the GMMR that really anchored the park down and brought together the theming of the park that's getting very, very loose now. From the production of movies to... well OK you're a movie, you can be in the park I guess.

Club Cooloholic

There are always some rides that are just designed poorly from a logistics point of view for a mass of riders. This so far is one of them. I think if you design a ride that can't be ridden by a patient guest at some point in the day, then that ride has failed to be a "good" theme park ride. Maybe a good ride overall, but not for a theme park.

bdearl41

Its funny that the Disney guests squabble and insult each because half the group want Boarding Groups/Fast Pass and half the group want standby only. The problem is not the system, the problem is that Disney thought it was smart to stop doing omnimovers and to start making major attractions based on insanely popular IPs that sit send out sets of two cars of 8 people occasionally (and with Covid, that meant sometimes down to one person per car). On top of that, DHS is so underbuilt even now and just doesn't have enough attractions. I know people are going to moan and say "Oh I don't go for rides, stop building rides" well great then, please stay off my rides because you don't want them and you're causing the lines.

Disney needs to stop obsessing over what systems their using and start getting high capacity rides and not saying "oh let's a new ride, oh wait, well better bulldoze something else, God forbid we actually have a net positive ride gain afterwards." Meanwhile they're shoving upcharge food and drinks and retail down on throats instead of giving us what we already paid for. What kind of a nutcase would pay $140 to go to shopping mall and then you spend money on overpriced stuff on top?
A lot of truth bombs in here.

NickMaio

It's really all quite silly. I've been a huge Star Wars fan (although not an uber-Star Wars fan since I've never dressed as a character) and the fact that an it's extremely slim clance of my getting to ride whenever my next trip is to me is quite ridiculous. Why build a ride that is so exclusive and allows so few people to ever ride it? Exclusivity? If that's the case, start charging $100 per ride and truly make it exclusive.

I'm so tired of Disney making everything so difficult all the time. FP+, boarding passes, park reservations... for pete's sake. Stop it already! It already costs an arm, a leg, and your first born to take a vacation there. Stop making so effing difficult to get the most out of an already expensive vacation.
They should design a system where customers who have not ridden ROTR get first dibs when booking their boarding passes.
Just a thought.

Pepper's Ghost

They should design a system where customers who have not ridden ROTR get first dibs when booking their boarding passes.
Just a thought.
While my heart is with your sentiment, that's obviously a really difficult system to build without DNA samples, and a whole lot of trust and data storage. 😁 It should just be much more simple, and build the ride to eat up lines. Don't build it to handle 10% of riders that other rides handle, or 25% of the demand for it.

DisneyMusician2

Can't speak for anyone else, but I rode 3 times on two trips over the past 6 months and got a spot at the 7 AM twice and once at the 1 PM opening. To me the idea of the virtual queue system is probably the future of theme park entertainment and will be rolled out as a line and queue control....but maybe I'm wrong?

Dave B

We just went and got passes at 7am for all three days we had, in fact we changed our days the last two days because we didn't think getting up at 650 am was worth the ride, I will take Flight of Passage all day, any day over this ride, it is fun , but nothing special

NickMaio

While my heart is with your sentiment, that's obviously a really difficult system to build without DNA samples, and a whole lot of trust and data storage. 😁 It should just be much more simple, and build the ride to eat up lines. Don't build it to handle 10% of riders that other rides handle, or 25% of the demand for it.
Magic bands tied to your accounts?

DfromATX

I agree with you in that the way to get a boarding pass can be a little stressful. I did all my research before going (watching "how to" YouTube videos, etc.) We went last February and I was not able to get one for the 7:00 round. Boy was I disappointed! But, later in the park I was able to get on during the 1 pm round with no issues.

ppete1975

they could limit boarding passes to once a week or month since it goes through the app... if youve been a boarding group that actually got called you wouldnt be in the first wave of boarding passes, if after 10 seconds or so there are some left you could get one.
or limit aps to certain days or quantity.. only 20 percent goes to ap etc
with the app lots of things are possible

kingdead

What gets me is all the research needed to ride. I get that it's popular, I get that it's a new ride so it's unreliable, but I don't get why you should need to watch YouTube instructional videos and buy a watch that tells atomic time just so you can press a button at the exact right time to get on a theme park ride.

It just seems really fraught, especially if you're not a pass holder and this is your one big expensive Disney vacation. It's also probably unfair to old folks and people with cheaper phones, but maybe Disney doesn't want those groups?

DfromATX

What gets me is all the research needed to ride. I get that it's popular, I get that it's a new ride so it's unreliable, but I don't get why you should need to watch YouTube instructional videos and buy a watch that tells atomic time just so you can press a button at the exact right time to get on a theme park ride.

It just seems really fraught, especially if you're not a pass holder and this is your one big expensive Disney vacation. It's also probably unfair to old folks and people with cheaper phones, but maybe Disney doesn't want those groups?

I agree with you. At the end of the day, it is just a ride and it shouldn't be that stressful to do. With that said, after getting my boarding pass, I thought "Ok, that wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be," but you don't know that until you do it.

Also, I have a coworker who recently went and until I told him, he had no idea a boarding pass was required. I think it's safe to say that most of us on here are Disney nerds, so we are constantly reading and watching videos about Disney - at least I do - but "normal" people don't usually do that. Some people go thinking it was the same way they went years before or maybe it's just like a big Six Flags.

ppete1975

the issue is the abysmal capacity... should have never been built. They could have created the same immersion with a different ride system

RoadiJeff

I'm one of the atomic watch people but I already had the watch before the ROTR pass thing, so it was just a perk. Since this seems to be the way Disney wants to do things for now I figure I have to play the game if I want to get it.

I mentioned before in this thread but I wish they would bring back the way they used to do it when ROTR first opened and reward those of us who were willing to put in the effort and stand in line at 4:30-5am for several hours at the main gate to be able to get a pass as soon as we were inside the park.

Ghost93

I went to Hollywood Studios the year prior to Galaxy's Edge opening so I've never been on Rise of the Resistance, but reading about the difficult way you have to virtually sign up for it is upsetting. I could only imagine how frustrating it would be if someone made an entire trip to Florida mainly to see the new Star Wars attractions only to find out they missed their chance and they can't even wait a long time in line to get on the ride/attraction.

Maybe if Disney opens up another E-ticket Star Wars ride and an interactive restaurant or show that might lower the wait times for Rise of the Resistance and maybe eliminate the need for the boarding pass/virtual check-in system.

ppete1975

Omni-mover?
I honestly cant fathom why the capacity is so low.
omni mover or even something like a roller coaster but really slow (so the track not the momentum characteristics) you wouldnt need a lift hill or anything with magnets it could go pretty slow... kind of guardians tech where the carts would move to show you what to look at. The ride vehicles and complexity are causing the issues... of course disneyworld appears to have been rushed since disneyland isnt having the same issues. But even there, its not the capacity thats needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom