Rise of the Resistance

JIMINYCR

It's crazy that people plan trips and spend money to get into a park and might not even have the opportunity to ride one of the rides.
Nothing crazy about it. Any new attraction ( RotR, 7DMT, MMRRR, SD, and others) will be overly popular. Everyone entering the park wants to target that newly opened, publicized, over hyped attraction. Theres only so many seats on the attraction ride car and so only many riders that can ride in an hour. Cut those numbers down for stoppages or break downs and theres even less riders that will ever get to ride through in the time the parks are open. The longer a time your trip can be and the more days you get into a park, you have better possibilities that youll make it. Buying a ticket doesnt guarantee anyone a ride.

ppete1975

My fear is that when the hotel opens that they will black out huge sections of time in galaxys edge for only the hotel people (to keep up the cosplay) or blackout huge portions of the boarding passes.

My fear is that when the hotel opens that they will black out huge sections of time in galaxys edge for only the hotel people (to keep up the cosplay) or blackout huge portions of the boarding passes.
I hadn’t even thought that far ahead. I guess that’ll probably be one way to secure a boarding group. Guess we should start saving our pennies! 😁

plawren2

ROTR is a concern for our next trip as well. It's basically a lottery system as to who gets to ride it. Maybe you will...maybe you won't. Can only hope for the best.
same here for November trip, I have no idea (and could use advice) as to how to secure best chance we could experience it

Pepper's Ghost

It's really all quite silly. I've been a huge Star Wars fan (although not an uber-Star Wars fan since I've never dressed as a character) and the fact that an it's extremely slim clance of my getting to ride whenever my next trip is to me is quite ridiculous. Why build a ride that is so exclusive and allows so few people to ever ride it? Exclusivity? If that's the case, start charging $100 per ride and truly make it exclusive.

I'm so tired of Disney making everything so difficult all the time. FP+, boarding passes, park reservations... for pete's sake. Stop it already! It already costs an arm, a leg, and your first born to take a vacation there. Stop making so effing difficult to get the most out of an already expensive vacation.

Beacon Joe

Why not allow standby only? I know you FP fans will hate this idea, but just go with me on this one. If you're considering getting into line when the wait time posted says "5 hrs wait from this spot" and you're willing to get on, then that 5 hrs out of your vacation/visit is worth the ride. I assume the line will cap out with most people unwilling to wait an entire day for one ride, so let's say it caps out at 3 or 4 hours where no one else will get in line for those wait times. Once the wait time becomes longer than the hours to closing of the park, you cut the line off with no more riders. Anyone in line before cutoff is guaranteed to ride assuming their isn't a ride breakdown. If there is a breakdown that can't be fixed timely, everyone in line is given "special" FP for Rise. Assuming someone will figure out a way to make and sell these FP at some point, the paper used will have Mickey Mouse hair embedded in the paper to prevent counterfeit tickets from being created.

IMO, if you're willing to wait in that line, you're happy just to be guaranteed a ride. You're also sucking a huge group of people away from other ride lines allowing other guests to get on their rides quicker. And no one-person line holding for a large group either. In this case unless you traveled from far away and are leaving the next morning, you're guaranteed a ride if you really want to wait.

This makes a lot more sense to me. We were lucky enough to get on the thing, but we really only managed to get on it because bad thunderstorms cleared the line of everybody who had been already waiting for hours, which seemed to result in our Boarding Group getting bumped to the left.

I'm probably wrong, but what I observed as we walked past it several times throughout that morning and early -afternoon was that the whole system was basically backed up from the second it opened - when a new Boarding Group window opened, all those people in the Boarding Group would line up behind the already huge line, and then a new group would open and even more people would line up at the end of the huge line. I don't know if anybody I saw that day in the lines before the storms hit actually got on that ride after wasting their entire morning. I also think that the system and its inefficiency means that a lot of people after seeing the huge line, end up lining up well in advance of their estimated Boarding Group time, and then people who dutifully follow the whole Boarding Group window end up showing up when their group opens and they end up at the tail of a massive line which consists of people showing up earlier than their window.

Pepper's Ghost

This makes a lot more sense to me. We were lucky enough to get on the thing, but we really only managed to get on it because bad thunderstorms cleared the line of everybody who had been already waiting for hours, which seemed to result in our Boarding Group getting bumped to the left.

I'm probably wrong, but what I observed as we walked past it several times throughout that morning and early -afternoon was that the whole system was basically backed up from the second it opened - when a new Boarding Group window opened, all those people in the Boarding Group would line up behind the already huge line, and then a new group would open and even more people would line up at the end of the huge line. I don't know if anybody I saw that day in the lines before the storms hit actually got on that ride after wasting their entire morning. I also think that the system and its inefficiency means that a lot of people after seeing the huge line, end up lining up well in advance of their estimated Boarding Group time, and then people who dutifully follow the whole Boarding Group window end up showing up when their group opens and they end up at the tail of a massive line which consists of people showing up earlier than their window.
You're probably right about people entering the line earlier due to seeing how long the line is. However well intentioned the boarding group lines was meant to be, it's just an awful process from what I've read. It just leaves people guessing, trying to gain an advantage, etc. Just create a normal queue with good estimates of wait times on screens in line. If the ride breaks down as usual, then adjust the wait times on those screens so people can choose to leave the line if they want. They could even state that "all flights are grounded" when it breaks down.

It just makes more sense than a system which begs for people to try to cheat it somehow, some way. AND, if you really, really, really want to ride that ride, stand in the queue for 6 hrs if necessary, but you'll get on eventually. You don't have to worry about not being one of the fortunate ones to get a boarding group to then wait in line. So dumb. The last 10-15 years Disney seems to be intentionally thinking of ways to over-complicate everything. KISS!!!

Fsunolekrw

The main issue people are running into with this ride is one that doesn’t really have a solution. The parks have become so popular with so many people attending on a given day that the only way to meet capacity is either to build parks that realistically would be too large to run on a daily basis or cap the number of people allowed in. ROTR is still experiencing teething problems obviously. I have ridden it and it has earned all of the praise it has received. It is spectacular and really makes you feel like you have been dropped into the middle of one of the movies and are a part of all of the action. It is a technological marvel combining multiple ride systems and effects in ingenious ways. I really don’t know how you can have innovation like that and not have some of the problems I mentioned earlier due to the nature and popularity of Disney’s parks.

I’m curious—does anyone know how RotR hourly capacity compares to FoP? (If each ride was running with full capacity and no downtime, for example.)

phillip9698

First, I wouldn't call ROTR a "ride" - it's a whole lot more than that. We visited Disney 5 days after this attraction opened in 2019 and we got out of bed at 3:30am so we could stand in line by 5:00am to get boarding passes and experience what it was all about. For me, if I could do nothing else one day at Disney than go on the ROTR experience I would still be happy. It's reasons like this that make it so difficult to get a boarding pass.

I live in the St. Louis area and I frequently play the boarding pass game on my phone at the two magic times per day back home just for fun and to practice for whenever I return to Disney. I know how to get a boarding pass within 3 seconds of when the atomic clock time changes to 7:00 and 1:00 EDT. It still stops me from getting one because the system knows that I do not have a ticket reservation for that day, so I am not depriving anyone else from getting a pass who is actually there. It's still fun to play. :)

I would love for Disney to bring back the early park openings, like they did when ROTR first opened, and reward those of us who were willing to put forth the effort and stand there for several hours before sunrise.
Mind sharing your technique?

jpinkc

same here for November trip, I have no idea (and could use advice) as to how to secure best chance we could experience it
Yeah my Wife and Kids number one thing is to do ROTR and Smugglers Run. We are also going in Nov, so I hope we can get in.

Snake

Most people look at the virtual que all wrong. It's just like an actual que, it just allows you to do other things while your waiting instead of wasting your entire day TRYING to ride one ride. Even in a physical que you are not guaranteed to ride something. We did the early virtual que the last time we went last year, got to ride late in the day, but still did a full day of attractions in HS. I enjoyed that more than waiting 8-10 hours in a physical que just ride 1 ride. Plus the ride isnt really that thrilling, I'm a classic trilogy fan, so not that big a deal for me. Honestly I would rather ride Tower Terror than ride this Star Wars ride again. It's VERY tame, same ride system as the new Mickey Run away Rail Road, I could take a nap during both rides. Boring. Imagineers need to look at what universal is doing, the new Hagrid coaster blows both those new disney rides away, no contest. And I'm a big disney fan too, could care less about harry potter, its just that good. And that Millennium Falcon ride is terrible, its Star Tours but less thrilling. I expected to be doing barrel rolls and dodging tie fighters and star destroyer fire, not flying on some boring planet following a train . . . that star wars land is just some sort of sick joke and i'm not laughing. So ya, all the hype will die down after everyone knows how bad the rides are.

Last edited:

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Most people look at the virtual que all wrong. It's just like an actual que, it just allows you to do other things while your waiting instead of wasting your entire day TRYING to ride one ride. Even in a physical que you are not guaranteed to ride something. We did the early que the last time we went last year, got to ride late in the day, but still did a full day of attractions in HS. I enjoyed that more than waiting 8-10 hours in a physical que just ride 1 ride. Plus the ride isnt really that thrilling, I'm a classic trilogy fan, so not that big a deal for me. Honestly I would rather ride Tower Terror than ride this Star Wars ride again. It's VERY tame, same ride system as the new Mickey Run away Rail Road, I could take a nap during both rides. Boring. Imagineers need to look at what universal is doing, the new Hagrid coaster blows both those new disney rides away, no contest. And I'm a big disney fan too, could care less about harry potter, its just that good. And that Millennium Falcon ride is terrible, its Star Tours but less thrilling. I expected to be doing barrel rolls and dodging tie fighters and star destroyer fire, not flying on some boring planet following a train . . . that star wars land is just some sort of sick joke and i'm not laughing. So ya, all the hype will die down after everyone knows how bad the rides are.
Agreed, and part of what makes standby impossible right now is the downtime. If you have a queue of people that have been in line for six hours and the ride shuts down (which it frequently has) and they don’t get to ride at all that day, you’re going to have to deal with hundreds of angry people asking for their money back, fast passes, free tickets, and probably arguing they should get their room comped too for having a wasted day at the park. Standby doesn’t magically add capacity, demand will exceed supply by a great deal for the foreseeable future and, regardless of the system, there will be people upset that the method of getting people on the ride didn’t cater to their vacation style. The virtual queue is the only way to minimize the amount of potentially angry and disappointed guests and minimize the costs of having to issue comps and refunds when something goes wrong. It isn’t a perfect system, but it allows people to enjoy the other parts of the park without the risk of waiting in one line all day and maybe still missing the ride. Also, at least you have a good idea when boarding groups open whether you’ll ride, so you can plan the rest of the day accordingly without much stress.

Chef Mickey

I have been to Disney 50 days since re-open in July. I have ridden ROTR each time I’ve gone to HS, without incident…probably at least 15 different times for various numbers of guests.

While I think it’s sad guests are sometimes unable to ride, I’m not sure why some folks have trouble getting it. If you immediately check the queue, it works every time. I actually like it because I’ve never waited more than about 20min to do it.

Especially after Covid, there was no way to do a traditional line. Not much Disney can do. For what it is, I think it works well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom