Ring removed from pavement at Haunted Mansion

Lokheed

Original Poster
So, I was at the Magic Kingdom today and discovered that the Bride's ring embedded in the pavement as you exit the Haunted Mansion had been removed. Where it used to be, there is a fresh concrete patch. I proposed to my wife on that spot, and so I have kind of a sentimental attachment to that ring. Does anyone know why it was removed?

dandaman

...You do realize that was part of an old gate, right?

I'm just saying it's not really a "detail" so much as a "mistake". :lol:

SteveUK

I think that is the likely explanation - it was never actually an intended 'feature', just a product of over-excitable imaginations. Disney has such a reputation for detail, that people will insist on finding hidden messages and features where there really aren't any.

Lokheed

Original Poster
Oh, I know its origins and that it was not intentionally placed there. But anyone who ever looked at it could plainly see a wedding band with a gemstone, and not just some arbitrary circle from an old gate. It was an accidental detail, but one that resonated with the attraction, to the point where you could ask any CM in the area where to find the ring in the pavement and they would show you. It had been there for many years, so why take it out now? It just seems like a weird decision.

mitchk

Yup, it was only part of an old gate. If you look around that area there is a few of them imbedded in the concrete. I do love the idea of the ring imbedded in the cement. Wasn't that supposed to be where the bride landed when she jumped from the mansions roof to her death? Great story, but no truth to it at all.

Legacy

Oh, I know its origins and that it was not intentionally placed there. But anyone who ever looked at it could plainly see a wedding band with a gemstone, and not just some arbitrary circle from an old gate. It was an accidental detail, but one that resonated with the attraction, to the point where you could ask any CM in the area where to find the ring in the pavement and they would show you. It had been there for many years, so why take it out now? It just seems like a weird decision.

If it originally wasn't suppose to be there... why keep it?

;)

mitchk

:D

We all complain about Disney is letting maintainence slip... but now when Disney fixes something that was a maintainence slip we miss it, and start a thread about how tragic it is.

So...

I'm gonna go ride bikes.

O...K :veryconfu :veryconfu

scottnj1966

pics of ring

When did they remove it? I was there last week.

And no its was not part of a gate. Does this look anything like a gate part or fence or anything like that? and do you see any others around if it was a gate.

hauntedmansionring.jpg

hauntedmansionringzoom.jpg

cpt.jacksluv

Hmmm...

O...K :veryconfu :veryconfu
Wait how are you so sure that this was accidental? Did a CM tell you? Was this information enclosed by a WDW imagineer or worker? I am sure that the messge of this "accidental" ring in the ground coincided with the story of the bride who jumped to her death. I hope that you aren't letting your own opinion interfere with Disney "MAGIC". If it is true I would see no reason in covering it up unless they covered up the other rings.:brick:

RonAnnArbor

That "ring" is completely part of the old metal gate that used to be there -- that is the leftover ring from where the lock slid down into the ground to keep the gate from swinging open when latched shut. Trust me - I have old photos from the 70's with the old gate and stuff there before they did the wrought-iron look -- I also have the same "ring" in my driveway where my old gate was removed a few years ago - leaving that portion because it is embedded several inches into the cement by the "jewel" portion of the ring.

Lokheed

Original Poster
When did they remove it? I was there last week.

Huh. Let me back up a second. My wife and I were out to dinner a few nights ago, and overheard some people at another table talking about the ring being removed. I was in the park earlier today with my son, but he won't set foot anywhere near the HM (he's autistic, it's more than just simply telling him to suck it up and walk over with me, he would be in an absolute panic). So while he and his mom were finishing up eating at the Columbia Harbor House, I ran over to the HM exit and looked really quickly. I thought I saw the spot where the ring should be filled in with a fresh patch of concrete. That being said, I probably spent fewer than five seconds looking at it. I'll have to look again more carefully the next time we are in the park.

scottnj1966

That "ring" is completely part of the old metal gate that used to be there -- that is the leftover ring from where the lock slid down into the ground to keep the gate from swinging open when latched shut. Trust me - I have old photos from the 70's with the old gate and stuff there before they did the wrought-iron look -- I also have the same "ring" in my driveway where my old gate was removed a few years ago - leaving that portion because it is embedded several inches into the cement by the "jewel" portion of the ring.

Lets see the pics.

RonAnnArbor

I'll look for them -- they are at my parents house somewhere from 30 years ago -- If I feel like going to see them for the holiday I will get them and scan them in. If not, I'll get them next time I go see my parents.

mitchk

Wait how are you so sure that this was accidental? Did a CM tell you? Was this information enclosed by a WDW imagineer or worker? I am sure that the messge of this "accidental" ring in the ground coincided with the story of the bride who jumped to her death. I hope that you aren't letting your own opinion interfere with Disney "MAGIC". If it is true I would see no reason in covering it up unless they covered up the other rings.:brick:

I know because that is all it was, a piece of an old gate. I guess you also think the story about the mansions tops being chess pieces (that is confirmed, of not being true, by Jason S. in "The Haunted Mansion from the Magic Kingdom to the movies" book released in 2004) Pleases chill, young buck :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom