Ride, Attraction, Resort, Restaraunt Merch...

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
What ride, attraction, resort, or restaraunt needs more merch, or better merch, or ANY merch at all?

I know for me I would LOVE to come home rocking a Le Celier T-Shirt, a mini snowglobe, or mug from the resort I stay in...

I would LOVE some better HM merch, or a COP shirt.

Jasonflz

Timekeeper. Alien Encounter had a truckload of cool merch. and TK had bubkis.
Agree on the Horizons merchandise.

wolf359

I think Walt Disney World has some kind of mental block when it comes to fully understanding how popular the individual attractions (or sometimes even the individual parks) are and how much they mean to visitors. And in return, what that can mean in merchandise sales for them. Promoting everything in Florida as being part of one big "Disney World" is necessary when trying to get people to come for the first time. But once you're there, and especially if you keep coming back, they have to keep offering something that takes those changing interests into account.

Sure on your first visit you'll be pretty darn happy with that generic "characters and balloons in front of the castle" kind of T-shirt, but repeat visitors aren't going to keep buying the same generic junk over and over again, just because it has the current year plastered over it.

Repeat visitors have favorite attractions, shows, parks, and yes, even restaurants. So why not try catering to that demographic? They're already printing SO many shirts and whatnot, it couldn't possibly hurt if they mixed in some unique attraction-based stuff.

Maybe they don't need to print up a million Tiki Room or Country Bears T-shirts, but Disney ought to know what their popular attractions are, and create at least a few specific items for them.

About the only things I buy at Disney World are attraction-related, which means I leave empty-handed a lot, because all of my favorite attractions are very under-represented in merchandise. And it's not like all of my favorites are sleeper "fan favorite" kinds of things, either. Sure, I'd love a Horizons shirt or a Carousel of Progress hat, but even huge attractions like Spaceship Earth, Space Mountain, and Haunted Mansion are really lacking any good merchandise.

And I don't understand it. :shrug:

You are absolutely correct. I would love to see some really cool attraction-based merchandise. I have enough generic Disney stuff to last a lifetime! Also, I'd love to see more resort-themed merchanise. The Polynesian, for example, used to have a cute shop that had lots of hawaiian style souviener stuff and Poly-logo stuff, but now there is just a little of this in the (generic) Bou-tiki. It's disappointing.

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I think Walt Disney World has some kind of mental block when it comes to fully understanding how popular the individual attractions (or sometimes even the individual parks) are and how much they mean to visitors. And in return, what that can mean in merchandise sales for them. Promoting everything in Florida as being part of one big "Disney World" is necessary when trying to get people to come for the first time. But once you're there, and especially if you keep coming back, they have to keep offering something that takes those changing interests into account.

Sure on your first visit you'll be pretty darn happy with that generic "characters and balloons in front of the castle" kind of T-shirt, but repeat visitors aren't going to keep buying the same generic junk over and over again, just because it has the current year plastered over it.

Repeat visitors have favorite attractions, shows, parks, and yes, even restaurants. So why not try catering to that demographic? They're already printing SO many shirts and whatnot, it couldn't possibly hurt if they mixed in some unique attraction-based stuff.

Maybe they don't need to print up a million Tiki Room or Country Bears T-shirts, but Disney ought to know what their popular attractions are, and create at least a few specific items for them.

About the only things I buy at Disney World are attraction-related, which means I leave empty-handed a lot, because all of my favorite attractions are very under-represented in merchandise. And it's not like all of my favorites are sleeper "fan favorite" kinds of things, either. Sure, I'd love a Horizons shirt or a Carousel of Progress hat, but even huge attractions like Spaceship Earth, Space Mountain, and Haunted Mansion are really lacking any good merchandise.

Youre right. It PUZZELS me like no other. They want to make money, so I dont see why they arent making more merch for more popular things?

Everytime I turn around I can find some stupid Nightmare Before Christmas anything really. But the best CoP item I can get is a picture I have to take myself?

I guess why it bothers me so much is that Im a collector. I like to collect decent things. I have a Port Orleans snowblobe. Id love to have one from each resort. Not a keychain, or post card.

Id love a HM beach towel. I would buy 2 or 3 just so I have 1 or 2 to use and one to put away, or display. Even PotC has that HUGE store when you come out, but its like ALLLLLLLL movie stuff. No attraction stuff really. Give me a shirt with the guy half in boat, half on land with the treasure...the jail guys with the dog!!!

CoP shirt with "Dad" on it saying "Theyll never make it"

There is SOOOOO much more I could sit and spit off. Stuff that honestly I would LOVE to have but everyone who is a return Disney fanatic would like too. It seriously does seem like they cater more to the people who will be there once and buy stuff cause they dont know any better as opposed to people who come back year after year.

wolf359

Well, at least Pirates' gigantic gift shop has merchandise from the Pirates movie...Poor Space Mountain's gift shop is clogged up with junk that has nothing to do with Space Mountain, or even Tomorrowland in general.

Yet I've been to other theme parks that have multiple T-shirt and hat designs for each of their rollercoasters, but Disney is missing a very obvious opportunity.

They don't seem to recognize fully that to many people their signature attractions are characters in their own right, just as much as a princess, or Mickey Mouse, or Buzz Lightyear, and they can treat them as such. Their classic rides already have brand recognition, and it doesn't need a character overlay or a movie tie-in to suddenly make it marketable.

I'd buy a T-shirt from Jungle Cruise or Small World if they existed, but I can't. But I'm not going to buy anything High School Musical or American Idol to make up for it, I'm simply walking away empty handed.

1disneydood

More posters/prints dealing with individual attractions/parks. I don't see why Mission Space has a poster but SM, HM, and Pirates dosen't. At least not ride specific, NOT something with characters drawn on the rides with dopey expressions on their faces.

A simple but quality print of Space Mountain, no words or characters on it, just the mountain in the Florida sky. How 'bout wall signs that look like the sign for each land at different parks. Smaller signs made to look like the attraction signs from each attraction. A poster featuring every different trashcan at WDW. :D

HM gargoyle candellobras and stanchion(sp?) bats.

T shirts with disney catch phrases, Only fans would get it.
I'd love a "Have a magical day" t shirt. :lookaroun

DisneyPrincess5

Definitely Soarin. They have a lame tshirt and a mug and some other stuff...it's one of the most popular rides in all of WDW and it needs more.

Mr.EPCOT

But the best CoP item I can get is a picture I have to take myself?

They sold a pin once. :lookaroun

This is why the new Design-a-Tee shop befuddles me. I can understand the possibility that there might be a hefty expense and much less profit margin with creating more attraction specific merchandise and stuff, but that's where your true potential comes in with Design-a-Tee. It must cost next to nothing to load and store images in the design program, so you could provide a near infinite amount of options. And it would also help if the shop wasn't hidden in a far corner of Downtown Disney. They could easily put kiosks in the stores at the parks. Imagine you design and order a shirt at a kiosk in Liberty Square, that has an impressive selection of designs featuring The Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Belle, etc. You then select whether to pick it up at the front of the park, sent to your Resort, or sent home. Your t-shirt would then be made at a central facility for the park, probably near the entrance where package pick-up is. I think the logistics of that is fairly easy, maybe the most challenging thing would be expansion of the package pick-up facilities to handle more traffic.

More posters/prints dealing with individual attractions/parks. I don't see why Mission Space has a poster but SM, HM, and Pirates dosen't. At least not ride specific, NOT something with characters drawn on the rides with dopey expressions on their faces.

The attraction posters from the front of the park are available in the Art on Demand kiosks at the Art of Disney on Main Street and at Downtown Disney. I have the Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Big Thunder ones myself.

Test Track and Monorail tees, would be nice.

I think they have those, too. I have an orange Test Track shirt (because it features the World of Motion building on it :D) from a couple of years ago, and I want to say I've seen a few different ones in there recently, although with characters, I think. And there have been a couple of Monorail shirts recently, although one of them has Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle with what looks to be like a Mark IV Monorail and says Walt Disney World. :brick:

EPCOT Explorer

SSE, THE RIDE.

I want something that SAYS it, not just shows it. The only thing I have with that, is my SSE07 WDI pin and a few retro books.:shrug:

Mr.EPCOT

SSE, THE RIDE.

I want something that SAYS it, not just shows it. The only thing I have with that, is my SSE07 WDI pin and a few retro books.:shrug:

I would quite possibly kill to have the poster that used to be displayed at the queue entrance.

"Ride the Time Machine
From the Dawn of Civilization
To the Beginning of Our Tomorrow
SPACESHIP EARTH"

Scooter

I'd Love to see Big Thunder Mountain Railroad & Splash Mountain Snow Globes.
Haunted Mansion definitely needs more merchandise.
A COP Snowglobe would be pretty cool too.
I also think they should make Soarin over California Viewmaster discs.

Ad also like to see LESS kitchen merchandise ie Mickey Mouse Blenders, Toasters, wafflemakers, etc in the shops and more area specific stuff.

I remember when Frontierland shops only carried Frontierland type stuff... Skin Caps, kiddie muskets, old fasioned candy etc.
I'd like to see that all come back.

wolf359

I would quite possibly kill to have the poster that used to be displayed at the queue entrance.

"Ride the Time Machine
SPACESHIP EARTH"

Ah yes, one of my Holy Grail items as well.

I'm constantly surprised how few EPCOT posters there are, and what there is, is so hard to find.

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Maybe if all of us made our OWN shirts and showed up at WDW with them on and got arrested for copyright they design people at WDW will at least say HMMMMMMMM maybe we should make....Naaaaa keep pumping NBC merch!

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

"Ride the Time Machine
SPACESHIP EARTH"

That would be awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom