Richard Petty Driving Experience to close

DisneyCane

When they refurbished Talladega Super Speedway here, they even sold off the seats in sections of 4 as well as squares of the tarmac.

Just to be technical because it is a strange pet peeve of mine, roads are not paved with tarmac (neither is anything at an airport). The black material used to make roads is asphalt concrete. Tarmac is an old road building material from the early 1900's.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
image.jpg

image.jpg

Cinkadeus

Just to be technical because it is a strange pet peeve of mine, roads are not paved with tarmac (neither is anything at an airport). The black material used to make roads is asphalt concrete. Tarmac is an old road building material from the early 1900's.
Sorry, I watch a lot of Top Gear. They say tarmac all the time.

flynnibus

Premium Member

We also call planes.. 'birds' - they aren't
We also call ships female - they aren't
We call it a kleenex - its a tissue
We call it a parkway - but its not really anymore..

Some uses aren't so LITERAL but are used out of other origins or past usage. Lighten up Francis

DocAlan02

So happy the marathon won't be running through there this January. Fun seeing all the cars but those slopes were just too rough on the legs.

I only ran the marathon once (in 2013) but I don't rememeber slopes. I know I ran on the apron. Maybe there was a slope to get down to it? Running again in January and very curious as to what will change on the course (without the speedway and with the construction in the Studios).

Texas84

I only ran the marathon once (in 2013) but I don't rememeber slopes. I know I ran on the apron. Maybe there was a slope to get down to it? Running again in January and very curious as to what will change on the course (without the speedway and with the construction in the Studios).

You enter the racetrack through a tunnel with a severe downslope. Very short but a lot of runners were having trouble with it. Then back up to the top of the track and down to the bottom.

And in full disclosure, I was running up and down the slope to get a better look at the cars. :D

Tom

Beta Return

So, was that part of a filing with SFWMD? I didn't figure they'd have to file with them, since they're utilizing the Mickey-shaped retention pond that was already designed to accommodate the watershed from that same surface area.

Sorry, I watch a lot of Top Gear. They say tarmac all the time.

Tarmac is an old term, like "cinder blocks". I think they might still use the term Tarmac overseas, but it's not used here in the US (or at least by those in the industry of installing pavements). It's either concrete or asphalt used for pavements here.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Tarmac is an old term, like "cinder blocks". I think they might still use the term Tarmac overseas, but it's not used here in the US (or at least by those in the industry of installing pavements). It's either concrete or asphalt used for pavements here.
What's the difference in chip seal and tarmac?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So, was that part of a filing with SFWMD? I didn't figure they'd have to file with them, since they're utilizing the Mickey-shaped retention pond that was already designed to accommodate the watershed from that same surface area.

It must not have been enough for the new configuration since they are also adding new, small dry detention pond.

Texas84

"Tarmac" is still used by flight crew and maintenance in the US. It's a generic term like Kleenex.

"Where's Sgt. Jones?"
"Out on the tarmac."

dstrawn9889

So is the parking lot expansion and auto plaza reconfiguration the same project, or is the reconfiguration going to happen later on?
by the CoW that @danlb_2000 posted, the Scope of Work is only the immediate surrounding area of the original track walls, except where the original parking lot touches...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So is the parking lot expansion and auto plaza reconfiguration the same project, or is the reconfiguration going to happen later on?

Separate projects. There was a permit filed recently to do some exploratory work for a main entrance flyover road. The one is still in the planning phase and hasn't gone for an actual construction permit yet.

Monorail_Red_77

Just got back from a day trip to the World this Sat 10/24. Progress is moving extremely fast for Disney. I almost stopped and told the construction guys to stop and slow down a bit. This is Disney after all. I guess they got the point because I could not find any workers on-site. LOL
Anyway here are a heap of pics from the Speedway to parking lot conversion. It is massive looking in person. My guess is it will add more than 1/4 overall MK parking lot addition. not including area where a proposed new toll plaza and access roads will be.

Warning there are a lot of pictures.

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom