Rich/poor class division in Disney

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Actually directly in front of the castle is a great place to be unless you are a child or very short adult. Been there for several shows and it is a great place to be...Ooops I don't think I should be giving out secrets like that now everyone will want to be there... and then Disney will start charging people to be there... and then my whole world will collapse.

I prefer to be back a bit closer to MSUSA

DisneyFans4Life

Being right in front of the castle is a relatively bad spot to be because you can't see the majority of the fireworks that are launched from behind the castle. Anything behind the partner's statue is a good spot to be in.

jakeman

Nope you are wrong. That is another designated area. This is rite infront of the castle.
giphy.gif

NormC

Nope you are wrong. That is another designated area. This is rite infront of the castle.
Whatever you say Jordan. We can't all be right all the time like you. Clearly reading comprehension is not your strength. I did not claim the Terrace Dessert event was the same as the corporate event you witnessed.

Right (not rite) in front of the castle is a bad spot to see the fireworks because some are behind it and low and you would not get to see them well.

If it were a regular designated area you would be able to purchase tickets to it. Show us the link to this designated area purchase on the Disney website please unless it is super secret for uber wealthy only.

Last edited:

thomas998

Being right in front of the castle is a relatively bad spot to be because you can't see the majority of the fireworks that are launched from behind the castle. Anything behind the partner's statue is a good spot to be in.
I thought we were talking about shows in front of the castle not fireworks... Best place to see fireworks is on Thunder Mountain.

ChinChiminey

In all seriousness and joking aside, how do I buy these tickets right in front of the castle?
(Not the desert party ones on the tomorrow land terrace)

Jon81uk

In all seriousness and joking aside, how do I buy these tickets right in front of the castle?
(Not the desert party ones on the tomorrow land terrace)

The spaces in front of the Plaza and Casey's are FastPass.

The other spaces would be corporate bookies only but it's hard to find info. There is some details on spaces that can be hired here http://disneycateredgroupandconventions.com/index.php?page=epcot-area-event-venues

At Epcot you can easily book spaces for a wedding, such as the United Kingdom waterside https://www.disneyweddings.com/florida/wishes/venues/united-kingdom-lochside/

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Just to chime in with my own observations over this Thanksgiving and following week, the poors are getting less visible. Not really looking for them, I think we ran across over 20 vip tour groups. During prime season that's an easy minimum of 5 grand each.

jazzinator

FWIW, I saw a lot of locals with FP cards during my recent week there (11/19-11/25), including a poor guy who waited 2 hours with his wife and son to ride Toy Story Mania.

Goofyernmost

Your diatribe about fat Americans might have pulled a little more punch if you knew how to use an apostrophe. "Americans" is correct - "American's" is not.
Having just spent a few weeks in Europe I can tell you why Europeans are thinner. Having been overweight most of my adult life I am very aware of how I am looked at. It's not because their diet is any better. What they eat is completely classified as unhealthy here. It's not because they are more fitness conscious. It is because they walk and walk and walk some more, out of necessity, not exercise. The streets are difficult to traverse due to cobblestone surfaces, there are hills and so many huge staircases that allow moving from one level to another either in natural landscape or subways, etc. They just do not sit on there butts and drive cars everywhere there is to go. The price of fuel is a major force in creating that life style and their public transportation system is so good that driving isn't really the best way to do things. However, getting to that transportation requires the flexing of muscle that Americans have not flexed in years. Poverty may contribute to obesity, but, it isn't the cause... it's lack of activity. But hey, it is always fun to look down our noses at fat people, it makes us all feel so much better about ourselves. (Yes, that was sarcasm)

I spent two weeks plus portions of 5 days walking the mean streets in France, Italy and Spain. Those last five days were Ports of Call from a Cruise Ship. I didn't have a way to weigh myself (or desire), but, the last fourteen days were on a transatlantic cruise. Anyone that has ever been on a cruise knows the lure of the sea is mostly unlimited food supply. In spite of that last 14 days, when I arrive home I was 5 lbs. lighter then when I left. ***

*** It is estimated that, on average, cruise passengers will gain 3 lbs. per day, due to inactivity and massive caloric input, so just doing a little math will tell you how much weight must have been lost during the beginning of the trip.

Last edited:

thomas998

I go by weight. Only in the US does obesity equal poor and the crowd was thinner last time I was at WDW about a month ago. Still some huge people but not like last year or maybe the year before. The foreign guests are making up a large part of the crowd over the last few years and they aren't fat like American's. I shouldn't say American's because that is incorrect, US dwellers would be more like it but it doesn't sound right. South American's aren't fat and they are also American's by definition.

I think the "poors" are less visible because they simply aren't coming to WDW as much any more. I assume the foreign guests are well to do if they made it to WDW. I know Brazil has rich people then they have the rest and the rest can't afford to come here.
You haven't spent much time in South America have you. The folks down south are moving toward the US versions. The very well off women tend to be thin... the middle class are not bad but the lower middle and upper poor are putting on pounds only the super poor are thin from lack of food. Fast food has crept into South America and its going to do the same thing to them that it did to the US.

thomas998

Having just spent a few in Europe I can tell you why Europeans are thinner. Having been overweight most of my adult life I am very aware of how I am looked at. It's not because their diet is any better. What they eat is completely classified as unhealthy here. It's not because they are more fitness conscious. It is because they walk and walk and walk some more, out of necessity, not exercise. The streets are difficult to traverse due to cobblestone surfaces, there are hills and so many huge staircases that allow moving from one level to another either in natural landscape or subways, etc. They just do not sit on there butts and drive cars everywhere there is to go. The price of fuel is a major force in creating that life style and their public transportation system is so good that driving isn't really the best way to do things. However, getting to that transportation requires the flexing of muscle that Americans have not flexed in years. Poverty may contribute to obesity, but, it isn't the cause... it's lack of activity. But hey, it is always fun to look down our noses at fat people, it makes us all feel so much better about ourselves. (Yes, that was sarcasm)

I spent two weeks plus portions of 5 days walking the mean streets in France, Italy and Spain. Those last five days were Ports of Call from a Cruise Ship. I didn't have a way to weigh myself (or desire), but, the last fourteen days were on a transatlantic cruise. Anyone that has ever been on a cruise knows the lure of the sea is mostly unlimited food supply. In spite of that last 14 days, when I arrive home I was 5 lbs. lighter then when I left. ***

*** It is estimated that, on average, cruise passengers will gain 3 lbs. per day, due to inactivity and massive caloric input, so just doing a little math will tell you how much weight must have been lost during the beginning of the trip.

Yep the walking help especially stairs. I moved into an apartment in grad school where I was on the 4th floor and had only stairs. Going up and down multiple times a day for classes and I dropped 10 pound the first semester with no change in my diet at all just from going up and down stairs.

Chef Mickey

You are going to Walt Disney World. That does not make you poor. Poor is the 50 year old salesperson who waited on us in at a Walmart in Georgia about 2 hours from the Florida border who had never been to Florida (let alone Disney World) in her life but she hoped to save enough gas money just to cross the state line to show her children what Florida was some day.
If she has a car, not very poor either. To truly see poor, you have to travel abroad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom