Rich/poor class division in Disney

thomas998

No I have not been to SA since maybe 98 but I have spent a decent amount of time down there. Things do change and from the sounds of it not a good way. I have heard that the middle class has increased because when I was there, there wasn't much of a middle class in general. I was in Brazil, Columbia and a few times in Venezuela.
Venezuela is the only one of those three that the fast food-itis hasn't hit... Given that country is spiraling toward starvation it is probably the only one that wont be fattening up sooner than later.... But if they ever get another stable government you can probably count on them getting heavier.

rucifee

You hire even more gross poor people to deal with the gross poor people you already have to deal with. Problem solved.

Hmm, you should hire a gross leader to manage all that. Limits your personal interactions, let the peasants lead the peasants.

WDWVolFan

If people want to pay, let them pay.
If people want to stand in the Florida heat, even in the evening, let them!
If anything I would be laughing at them wearing suits and burning up while I'm feeling the heat a lot less in my shorts and flip flops.

Spikerdink

I am someone who over the past few years have moved from solidly middle class to damn, I can't pay the bills again this month. So I see life at Disney from the vantage points of I have money to do different things like behind the scenes tours to going to Disney and having a PBJ sandwich in my backpack to avoid the $10 burger.

Disney offers different experiences for people from the basic - come to our parks, enjoy the shows, the rides, the fireworks - to the experience plus concepts such as special tours, dining/dessert options, and special events. I don't think it is throwing the wealth in other's face as much as it is the ability to experience things differently. I have gone to the parks and done nothing special and had a great time. I had money and took the behind the scenes tour and had a great time. I have watched Illuminations from the fence line with the great unwashed and I have paid to experience the dessert party. Enjoyed both, but in no way would my experience be lessened if I walked past the people hiding behind the movable shrubbery enjoying a plastic glass of champagne and a rice crispie treat rather than being the person having the champagne.

My feeling is Disney caters to people of all incomes - from value resorts to deluxe villas. From Pecos Bill to Victoria and Albert's. From cattle herding viewing for shows to the ability to buy an add on to experience the show with less crowds and a few treats. The magic is created by you, not by Disney. Make of it what you will.

HappyCamper

Let me just add that some families can't afford to take their families to Disney for a vacation at all. I'm just grateful that we can swing it every few years and believe me, we enjoy every minute of it-without doing the over the top priced dessert parties! The Disney parks are one of the most amazing places I have ever been, but at the end of the day Disney is out to make money-and they are certainly good at coming up with fantastic ways to do that!

Goofyernmost

Let me just add that some families can't afford to take their families to Disney for a vacation at all. I'm just grateful that we can swing it every few years and believe me, we enjoy every minute of it-without doing the over the top priced dessert parties! The Disney parks are one of the most amazing places I have ever been, but at the end of the day Disney is out to make money-and they are certainly good at coming up with fantastic ways to do that!
I agree, and let's also point out that even during Walt's time, there were people that couldn't afford to see Disneyland unless they had a cushy wallet. All things are relative. We can look back at the price of things back "in the day" and think, wow, everyone could go then. Unfortunately, that was untrue. Families back when it was the norm to have just one income, could not afford to go to places like that. It was still those with available cash that were able to enjoy it, no matter how cheap it seemed. The absolute smallest part, which is still true today, was the park admission. It was transportation, lodging and food that became, and still is, the focal point. So, people can focus on park admissions until the cows come home, that wasn't the driving factor then and it isn't now. It's what it costs for the rest of the stuff that is keeping the less affluent away. Poor people didn't go to Disneyland back then either unless they lived next door and could scrape together the admission cost.

Even back when I graduated from High School in 1966, if you were to even dream about making $10,000.00 per year you were living in a high goal area. That would buy you a nice house and a very nice car to drive and perhaps some left over income to do the Disney type things. Today $10K, will keep you in the lower poverty levels. Also remember that back then minimum wage was less then $1.00 per hour. The poor have always been poor and, even today, judging by the number of people that are in attendance in the parks are much better off then they were back then and have a more realistic chance of being able to afford such a visit. The issue of affording to go to a Disney park at all, was and still is considered to be a "rich persons problem" depending on one's perspective.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Have an idea what a Disney wedding costs? Just a round figure per head for let's say 50 people? Just the fact that everyone would need a park ticket would be $100 right off the top so $5,000 to start. Booze another $100 a person so plus $5,000. Crappy buffet $50 a head plus $2,500. $12,500 right there. Wedding cake for 50? I'm guessing $2-3,000.

I have been to a wedding that cost at least $100,000, I'm just wondering if you are at that level if Disney could actually do it. In that can they actually put on a top notch wedding?

I sure hope so, since I'm paying about $35,000 for my daughter's. It was the Major Domo that put us past the $25,000 level. Just kidding...

LAKid53

Premium Member
While waiting for our breakfast reservation this AM at Whispering Canyons, the CM remarked when I asked if the pager's range was far enough to reach us in the gift shop (we were told to expect a 20 minute wait), she said, "Of course. Disney wants you to shop so they can make money, so your pager will certainly go off in the gift shop.". I must admit I was a little taken aback by her honesty. And she wasn't the first CM during this trip to mention Disney's clever skills in separating guests from their money. Have they put something in the water at the CM dormitories?

Goofyernmost

While waiting for our breakfast reservation this AM at Whispering Canyons, the CM remarked when I asked if the pager's range was far enough to reach us in the gift shop (we were told to expect a 20 minute wait), she said, "Of course. Disney wants you to shop so they can make money, so your pager will certainly go off in the gift shop.". I must admit I was a little taken aback by her honesty. And she wasn't the first CM during this trip to mention Disney's clever skills in separating guests from their money. Have they put something in the water at the CM dormitories?
I'm not sure why that would be anything to be taken aback by, only a person that just stepped out from under a rock wouldn't realize that Disney (or anyone else for that matter) want you to spend all the money you have. What might have been a bit of a shock would be if she said that the policy was that even if they have tables available, give them a pager, tell them it will be twenty minutes and suggest that they go to the gift shop and look around while they wait. I don't think Disney has dropped that low yet, but, anything is possible.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm not sure why that would be anything to be taken aback by, only a person that just stepped out from under a rock wouldn't realize that Disney (or anyone else for that matter) want you to spend all the money you have. What might have been a bit of a shock would be if she said that the policy was that even if they have tables available, give them a pager, tell them it will be twenty minutes and suggest that they go to the gift shop and look around while they wait. I don't think Disney has dropped that low yet, but, anything is possible.

I know Disney excels in separating us from our money. I was just surprised that a CM so readily admitted it to a guest. The restaurant was packed. And our ADR was at 10:30.

Goofyernmost

I know Disney excels in separating us from our money. I was just surprised that a CM so readily admitted it to a guest. The restaurant was packed. And our ADR was at 10:30.
I suppose, but, it similar to saying the water is wet. It's a given. I wouldn't even have asked if it extended to the gift shop. I would have been amazed if it didn't.

French Quarter

If she has a car, not very poor either. To truly see poor, you have to travel abroad.

She was pretty darn poor. A single mom working multiple low paying jobs with kids who had barely left their town. Just because you have a car doesn't mean you are rich. With lack of proper public transportstion in parts of North America, a car becomes a necessity for some working people. Many are willing to give up housing in favour of a car. There will always be someone worse off than you but that doesn't mean you aren't poor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom