Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboJones123

It does seem that some people will do anything to appear to get an advantage over other people.

We are pretty new DVC owners and Thanksgiving 2012 we were able to come to Disney and use our ownership for the first time. I did not know anything about GAC or what it entailed. I was using a cane due to a near fatal car accident I was in at Easter 2012. A nice Cast member told me about getting a GAC pass and how it would make touring the Parks easier. She was right it did help but I was convinced that it was something offered by Disney to help guest. But I guess that some feel that it is a way to get ahead. Fast forward to June of this year. We are coming to visit again. I just recently had a major surgery on my ankle to repair 2 torn tendons and a torn ligament left over from my car accident from last year. My Dr. gave me explicit instructions that I have to use a wheelchair. At first I thought that I would be able to get a GAC to help with our trip, but now after hearing what has happened I am hesitant about getting one. The pain that I am in is not worth a GAC if people are going to abuse the courtesy that Disney extends. I would rather wait with all of the guest. Some people feel that they are "owed" or "entitled" to special services just because of who they are or think that they are. I disagree with that.

We have used GAC with a disability that one cannot visualy see. We resisted uaing it for way too long. Other guests do not really care at all. Most passes through just run you through the Fastpass line and the GAC card is shown only for a few seconds.

We have only run into 2-3 snarky CMs after using it for over 100 attractions. None actually asking what the disability was, just funny glances. CMs are well aware of the needs of guests with GAC.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Man, EPCOT really needs to get the Super Habit Heroes sweatathon going this July. I tend to dominate the World Showcase Promenade sprint since I force my fellow tourists into all the misplaced food kiosks that litter the landscape with my NASCAR paint rubbing running style.

71jason

I don't agree. I see no reason why a healthy person (or group of healthy people) should not be able to hire a disabled person as a tour guide. As an added bonus the entire group gets to use a GAC so that the tour guide will not be separated from their customers.

It would be a hardship on the disabled tour guide and the group not to use a GAC. The evil would be to deny a GAC to a disabled tour guide.

Why would a professional tour guide ride a ride with guests? This isn't the same thing as "giving a tour" to your aunt and uncle from Omaha. A guide should give their guests some privacy while riding, holdign their personal items if necessary, then meet them at the exit with their stroller ready to go (and maybe use that time to secure Fastpasses or buy the clients a couple cold bottles of water).

Axle1986

Why would a professional tour guide ride a ride with guests? This isn't the same thing as "giving a tour" to your aunt and uncle from Omaha. A guide should give their guests some privacy while riding, holdign their personal items if necessary, then meet them at the exit with their stroller ready to go (and maybe use that time to secure Fastpasses or buy the clients a couple cold bottles of water).
I think you missed the point mate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why would a professional tour guide ride a ride with guests?

I agree with the ride itself - but if you had a hour wait in line... it would make sense for the guide to stay with them in line. And oh wait... my guide can't do the normal line.. so we should do a line she can do... ca-ching!

Clever Name

Who said anything about the tour guide riding attractions with guests? The tour guides would accompany the guests in the queue. While Fastpass queues are shorter than standby queues, there is still plenty of time for a tour guide to provide worthwhile services.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Who said anything about the tour guide riding attractions with guests? The tour guides would accompany the guests in the queue. While Fastpass queues are shorter than standby queues, there is still plenty of time for a tour guide to provide worthwhile services.
To use GAC the guest with the card MUST ride. So in this case the Tour Guide is handicapped so they would have to ride to get the family that paid them on.

jklakeview

I have been actively calling on Disney to do just this, hoping with FP+/MM+ they implement a system that is fair to guests with disabilities but not provide an advantage, even a percieved one and end the entire issue of GAC abuse.
I think that if they did this with a return time, you should not be able to go on another ride while you are waiting. Think about it, if i'm waiting online, do I get told a return time to come back to it? Not unless I use my limited number of fast passes. If the person with disabilities, can not wait in a cool, relaxed designated area, I'm fine with allowing them to walk the park and come back at a designated time. However I do not think that their party should be able to go ride attractions with lesser wait times, until their time is met. That system is still unfair. Most people with disabilities just want to be treated fairly. They should not get these extra perks like being loaded onto buses without waiting inline or getting to the front of every line. You have to make the system equal and then no one will abuse it. If you can have a return time and still go on other attractions, people will still abuse the system. With RFID they can keep that from happening and anyone that is against that equality, simply wants to get to the front of a line.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I think that if they did this with a return time, you should not be able to go on another ride while you are waiting. Think about it, if i'm waiting online, do I get told a return time to come back to it? Not unless I use my limited number of fast passes. If the person with disabilities, can not wait in a cool, relaxed designated area, I'm fine with allowing them to walk the park and come back at a designated time. However I do not think that their party should be able to go ride attractions with lesser wait times, until their time is met. That system is still unfair. Most people with disabilities just want to be treated fairly. They should not get these extra perks like being loaded onto buses without waiting inline or getting to the front of every line. You have to make the system equal and then no one will abuse it. If you can have a return time and still go on other attractions, people will still abuse the system. With RFID they can keep that from happening and anyone that is against that equality, simply wants to get to the front of a line.

Many amusement parks use the return time system and they don't have all the problems with abuse Disney Parks do. Also many guests who really need the GAC aren't doing the parks from open until close. They physically can't do it. I'm hoping with RFID they can at least do a return time (only holding one at a time) that would really help cut down in abuse. Also the return time is no the same thing as a FP take Soarin' or TSMM. If I walk up and get a return time it could be for 3 hours from now. But with a FP the window to get another FP is much shorter.

jklakeview

Many amusement parks use the return time system and they don't have all the problems with abuse Disney Parks do. Also many guests who really need the GAC aren't doing the parks from open until close. They physically can't do it. I'm hoping with RFID they can at least do a return time (only holding one at a time) that would really help cut down in abuse. Also the return time is no the same thing as a FP take Soarin' or TSMM. If I walk up and get a return time it could be for 3 hours from now. But with a FP the window to get another FP is much shorter.
Ok so you honestly don't think that someone will walk up to Buzz light year, take a return time of 1 hour, go to TTA, go to Carousel of progress, while their waiting grab a FP for Space Mountain, and then return to Buzz. I definitely see that being exploited. But I do like what you said about only one place being held at a time. I think it's just as easy to say, "Sorry you can not ride this attraction at this time because you're presently on line a buzz lightyear. Please return in 1 hour. Thanks"

flynnibus

Premium Member
However I do not think that their party should be able to go ride attractions with lesser wait times, until their time is met. That system is still unfair

It's not unfair - it's simply to avoid penalizing the disabled guest. Imagine if you went to the park with your wife.. and someone said 'Sir, you can ride.. but you can't ride with your wife. She will have to ride separately'. That would really make someone's vacation far less enjoyable - so keeping the group together is serving that purpose. The scenario is just extended so the example isn't 'just your wife.. but what about my kids.. or my parents', etc.

Keeping the group together is about letting people enjoy their trip together. The problem becomes is when the 'group' becomes extended everything.. so that's why they put a limit on the # of people for the card and why they ask for the size of your party when giving out the card.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Ok so you honestly don't think that someone will walk up to Buzz light year, take a return time of 1 hour, go to TTA, go to Carousel of progress, while their waiting grab a FP for Space Mountain, and then return to Buzz. I definitely see that being exploited. But I do like what you said about only one place being held at a time. I think it's just as easy to say, "Sorry you can not ride this attraction at this time because you're presently on line a buzz lightyear. Please return in 1 hour. Thanks"

Of course they will. The point I am trying to make is many people using GAC are really sick. They may only ride 5 things in a day even with the GAC. These people can't be in in the parks all day like my family can. We could hit 20 attractions in a day and do open, to close. We are healthy. We can be park commandos if we want.

The people who truly need the GAC, many of them are in the parks for half the time it is open or even less. I don't want to punish those people. It's the "front of the line pass" that need to change except in extreme cases like Make A Wish Families.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

I concur 100% on the ride passes, hopefully Disney works on this with MM+/FP+ for all GAC types to limit the fraud that does occur as the fraud hurts everyone and the guests that need the GAC the most. IMO the perception will not change though as regular guests will only see the wheelchairs move through the FP line and continue to get bent out of shape as though a GAC is a front of the line pass. There may be a small group that disagrees but I can attest my wife would MUCH rather get to partake in the new enhanced queues, and wait in lines than sit in a chair with little to no visibility except guests rear ends, not be shuffled to wheelchair areas where family members are LIMITED for parades/fireworks/Fantasmic/etc. and be able to walk around and enjoy vacation without guests staring at her, resenting her because they think she is getting something special.

The bus loading is a simple ease of access rule, if the disabled guest goes through the line, when it is their turn the bus driver would then have to stop, close and lock the front door, ask any guest sitting in the designated areas to move and then load the guest which can take as long or longer than allowing them to load first. Also, something everyone that brings this up forgets is that while you are running off to the parks or your room, we are on the bus another 5-10 minutes while we wait for ALL guests to unload and then the driver has time to let us off yet I NEVER hear anyone complain about getting to get off the bus first. I would NEVER consider getting to spend an extra 15 minutes, including the time it takes for us to unload, on a bus a PERK, is is insulting that you consider this is a benefit.

If there are more guests in line waiting than there is room before the disabled guest arrives, they should wait for the next bus and this has been requested by attendants at the stops at times when we have been there over Christmas breaks over the past few years.

More often though, we have been at resorts such as CB with multiple stops and repeatedly had guests refuse to move or drivers refuse to even ask or simply state there is not enough room to pick us up with my wife in her wheelchair even though she almost always offers to transfer. I personally feel that guests in parties with wheelchairs should NOT sit if their party is already taking three slots for one, ECVs are even worse as the guest is not even allowed to sit in them in transit. We have had waits of over 45 minutes unless we go to the first stop regularly and we are not the only guests that have had this happen.

To my point.... no matter what Disney does, there will be a perception that someone is getting something others are not, whether it is GAC, bus access, etc.

Yankee Mouse

Have you ever done the parks in a wheelchair? Because if you had you would know that most people who are forced to tour that way would gladly give up these "perks" to be able to enjoy the parks like everyone else. And for every one of these "perks" there are plenty of drawbacks.

Nmoody1

Brings a new meaning to the 'hire me' signs you get on the rented ECVs!!!!

I don't understand why a family cannot wait in line and leave one family member with the disabled guest to return at a later time using a pager system. The pager could be alerted from where fast passes are handed in - giving time to return to the attraction, but discouraging people to travel too far.

As for the busses... Don't get me started - it's a real head scratcher. And so frustrating!!! I do not have a problem with wheelchairs at all... But rented ECVs get my back up.... Big time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom