Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
You sure are an optimist... No way the percentage of those abusing is 1 percent.
It is probably closer to the other way around.

If I thought about it that way I would never be able to enjoy my trip to WDW. I would be the person glaring at every person in a wheelchair/scooter and shouting at people that they aren't really handicapped when they used their GAC.

luv

If I thought about it that way I would never be able to enjoy my trip to WDW. I would be the person glaring at every person in a wheelchair/scooter and shouting at people that they aren't really handicapped when they used their GAC.
Most people who abuse the GAC do not bother to rent a scooter or wheelchair, lol. They don't even bother to pretend to limp or anything, so unless you stand at the FP entrance and watch, you won't know. But if you go on a busy day, spend ten of fifteen minutes at the FP entrance...and prepare to bite your tongue!!

luv

Well it seems like there are plenty of doctors in this thread who would be willing to weed out those who don't really need one, simply based on appearances, guess Disney could hire them.
It's not just based on appearances, lol. It's also based on personally knowing knowing loads of people who do it.

sweetpee_1993

I can't tell you how many people have told me to do this. Disney employees included - "Everyone else does."

I'd be too worried that karma would bite me in the tookus for fudging a reason to get a GAC. Yeah, it'd be great for that day .. then have an accident on the way home that really does render me disabled or worse yet a family member. Noooo thanks. I need all the good karma I can get. ;)

luv

I'd be too worried that karma would bite me in the tookus for fudging a reason to get a GAC. Yeah, it'd be great for that day .. then have an accident on the way home that really does render me disabled or worse yet a family member. Noooo thanks. I need all the good karma I can get. ;)
I'm not even worried about karma. I just will not participate in something that will hurt people.

I get the whole, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" thing...but it isn't about the abusers to me. It's about the people who get hurt most - people who have REAL disabilities.

So sad.

Those people - and I know some of them are on this board - should be ashamed of themselves!

Darth Tater

This entire controversy would make for a good South Park episode.

Does anyone else see Eric Cartman trying this?

sweetpee_1993

I'm not even worried about karma. I just will not participate in something that will hurt people.

I get the whole, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" thing...but it isn't about the abusers to me. It's about the people who get hurt most - people who have REAL disabilities.

So sad.
Agreed. I personally couldn't do that on principle alone but for those who don't have a conscience about it, they should keep good ol' karma in mind because she is the great equalizer in her own time.

JordanNite

It's open to abuse ... but we can't let a few bad eggs spoil it for everyone. Some disabled people really won't otherwise be able to ride if they didn't have this system in place.

Even if there are that abuse the system, they aren't drastically going to spoil it for everyone .. perhaps add an extra minute of waiting to your line waiting time.

However, if they get caught they should be named and shamed, and banned for life.

HouCuseChickie

It's so strange for me having this come up right now. I was helping a coworker with a trip to WDW just a couple of weeks ago and he wound up getting 2 GACs for his group. His son has an autoimmune disorder, so they got one for him...then he (the coworker) is retired military and got an additional one for some of the injuries he had treated after coming back from Iraq. (party of 10 total) Now...my issue was he didn't really think they needed them for any of this stuff, but that it would just make their trip that much easier...which bugged me. I feel for his son and obviously, I'm grateful for his time serving the US - I just see an issue when even he made it sound like they probably didn't need them. Of course, I don't know how his injury issues might flare up or how it might impact his son, so I feel guilty on the flip side for questioning the whole thing.

PirateFrank

You know, this whole story flies in the face of anyone here or any other Disney website that claimed there was never a significant advantage to having a scooter, GAC or some other indicator that a person was "handicapped" or with someone who was. I also proves that handicapped access is blatantly abused in the parks. Sickening. Truly sickening.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This puts the mouse in a weird spot. How do you weed out abusers?
I don't know.

I am so seriously torn on this. :(

This is the real problem. Disney as a company could make the system more difficult to use or make you jump through additional hoops to get a GAC. The problem with that is you are alienating the very people you set out to help. Making them feel like they are doing something wrong. The abusers won't care anyway. If they are faking it now they will jump through additional hoops to keep abusing it. I really don't see a better way to do this.
You sure are an optimist... No way the percentage of those abusing is 1 percent.
It is probably closer to the other way around.
I don't have scientific evidence to prove it, but I do believe the abusers make up a statistically significant portion of the total GAC users. As a lot of people said they know people who did/do it. My completely unscientific guess would be 75/25 split between legit users and abusers. Keep in mind you can't always see someone's disability just looking at them. You could also be seeing 5 healthy able bodied people walk to the front of the line, but they are with the guy in front of them in the wheelchair. There is no way they will or should make families or groups split up to go on rides so that can't really be helped.

Yankee Mouse

While I don't doubt that some abuse the system, I don't think it is as widespread as people think it is. I would also reiterate that as someone who has used a wheelchair in the park it isn't as much of an advantage as people think. I also see the term GAC being tossed around here a lot so I pulled this info from another disney fan site:

"This is a reply someone got recently when they wrote WDW requesting information about GACs:
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

We are pleased that you and your family will be vacationing with us and we appreciate your desire to make your visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

The Guest Assistance Card is a tool provided at all four WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort Theme Parks to enhance the service we provide to our Guests with disabilities. It was designed to alert our Cast about those Guests who may need additional assistance. The intent of these cards is to keep Guests from having to explain their service needs each time they visit an attraction.

The Guest Assistance Card is available to our Guests with non-apparent, special assistance needs. However, the intention of this card has never been to bypass attraction wait times, or to be used by Guests with a noticeable service need.

Guests with an apparent mobility concern, such as Guests using wheelchairs, canes, crutches, etc., or Guests with service animals, do NOT need a Guest Assistance Card. These Guests should be directed to follow the attraction entrance procedures for guests using wheelchairs, as outlined in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities.

A Guest with a specific need for assistance can request a Guest Assistance Card at any Theme Park Guest Relations location. To accommodate the individual needs of our Guests, we ask that all Guests discuss their assistance requests with a Guest Relations cast member prior to the card being issued. The Guest Relations Cast Member will discuss the available service options with the Guest and provide written instructions for our cast on the Guest Assistance Card. The Guest will be directed to present the Guest Assistance Card to the Greeter or first available Cast Member at the attraction and await further directions for their experience."

If you are still reading, I would also add that as already stated there aren't too many rides left where a wheelchair allows front of the line access. For example, when I went in 2009 in a wheelchair I had to do half of the line outside of HM before they moved me to the accessible entrance near the hearst. This meant we missed the stretching room while "skipping to the front of the line." Not really a great tradeoff if you ask me, since the stretching room as been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Then when we went last year, after the refurb, with my MIL in a wheelchair we went through the whole queue, into the stretching room and then were taken to the exit where we had to wait about 15 more minutes (felt longer than that though) . The reason being that my MIL has severe parkinsons, can barely walk and needed the omnimover belt stopped so she could ride, because they had just stopped it for a guest we had to wait a very long time. How many people have had to wait at least 15 minutes after the stretching room to get on a doombuggy? Sure doesn't seem faster to me. Another example was POTC. In 2009 I had to leave the wheelchair outside the building, not a big deal because I could walk that distance, we went back in 2012 and I didn' t think my MIL would be able to ride because it would be a very long walk for her. We were told that now you can take wheelchairs all the way down to the boat. I believe Space Mountain is the same way now, but I don't ride that. Toy Story? You wait in line till the stairs and then they take you around the corner to a special loading area, but there is still a wait there. New queue in IASW is the same way. Figment is another example of bringing the wheelchair all the way through the queue up to the ride machine, and we all know how long that wait can be. ;)

Point is it seems like they are designing new queues and redesigned queues to be more handicapped accessible so in the future this won't even be an issue on almost every ride.

And honestly, as some one else pointed out, this woman is stupid for spending $130 an hour for a disabled guide just to get her to the front of the line when she could rent a wheelchair for a week for half the price of an hour. If she really thought that was a quicker way to get on, which it really isn't. Which means the story is probably sensationalized (Post) and just another reason to end this discussion.

loboftbl

I still havent read why the GAC allows unlimited front of the line access all day? Why can't the GAC card allow a person with the health issue to "check in" at the ride and wait somewhere else? They can come back and ride when they would have normally by standing in the line. One ride per GAC card at a time and they get to use the Fastpass system like everyone else. Would that not be equal access for all and cut down on the abuse? Or is everyone that gets a GAC card entitled to unlimited front of the line all day?

Goofyernmost

You know, this whole story flies in the face of anyone here or any other Disney website that claimed there was never a significant advantage to having a scooter, GAC or some other indicator that a person was "handicapped" or with someone who was. I also proves that handicapped access is blatantly abused in the parks. Sickening. Truly sickening.
How does that prove anything. I commented on it a couple of time and I did that because I was either with someone that had a disability or for the brief time when I had one myself and knew (from legitimate experience) what a hassle it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom