Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddbowdoin

Because it is a nice thing to do for people who are very sick or have a lot of pain and can only stay in the parks for a few hours. Lets them do as much as possible.

Make-a-wish kids do get to go right to the front of the line. Also a nice thing.
Next time i go I'll just say my wife suffers fr anxiety and ill see how the GAC works in my favor "she's unstable in really long lines filled with annoying children"

FettFan

This story sounds like it's been embellished way too much. The thing that gets me is the 2 1/2 hour wait at It's a Small World.

There are only two attractions I'm aware of that have that kind of line: Soarin' and Toy Story Midway Mania.

And, as mentioned previously, just getting legitimate VIP treatments would be a whole helluva lot cheaper than $130 per hour.

ddbowdoin

There lies the problem. Everyone feels they are entitled to a higher level of service because of "x" problem/issue. It isnt enough to make it equal access it needs to be superior access. That creates massive amounts of abuse as evidenced on my last three trips to WDW. I don't get to do everything I want as much as I would like on my vacation, why is my vacation less important? On a side note, I have no problem with Make A Wish, does Disney not provide assistance through the parks for those guests(If not they should)?

On every trip I've taken since 2010 (which would be 4 trips) I've heard at least ONCE a day a guest gloat about using the card. Now, once a day may not seem like much but I'm only riding 12 attractions a day and I'm only near a particular part of that line for a limited amount of time.

luv

Well..... Given the circumstances, its the right thing to do.
ITA. I think adults with similar problems getting in the FP line is not a bad thing, either. I am always happy to wait for people who are worse off than I am.

I have NO PROBLEM with the GAC for people who really and truly need it. No problem at all.

It's the people who scam the system that I have a problem with...and not even because they make my wait longer. The problem is that at some point, Disney will have to change the way they handle the GAC, which will mean very sick people can't go. That es me off immeasurably...and is why I try to steer clear of this subject, generally, lol.

Bad luv. Bad Park Goddess. :D

Ariel Savage

When I was a cast member in 2006 at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad during my college program, when guests with disabilities came to the line we automatically sent them to the exit to get on the ride faster, no questions asked.
I'm not an expert, but I believe that partly had to do with wheelchair accessibility in the regular line. My sister uses a wheelchair and we used to be asked to use the exit as an entrance. that has since changed. This also happened a few times at RnR Coaster, where we were allowed to get on the ride at the exit so she could take her time getting on.

bsiev1977

Yep. Make a wish does a lot of great things with Disney and a lot of kids end up wishing to go to WDW. They absolutely should get to go to the front of the line. Sorry for the thread drift, but if anyone is interested, here's a little story of a wish granted relating to Disney. Although it was not a trip to WDW I think it's pretty cool that the kid got to see some of the new technology the Imagineers were working on for FLE last spring:

http://philadelphia.wish.org/2012/07/03/i-wish-to-meet-the-disney-imagineers/
That's a wonderful story. Now I want to read more of the Wish Stories in that site.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
OMG. You're like Dave Lite. In this context...it is not really a compliment.

I was a bouncer at a str...er...entertainment venue when my life crashed before I got a job teaching...also a very long story...

I have a VERY good idea (though not a first had one, I have no interest in cooties) of how it works. But, money pays bills. And those willing to pay today are higher priority contracts than those willing to pay tomorrow.

Ariel Savage

This article sounds fake simply because, as you can read all about in the thread about GAC changes, ANYONE can walk up to guest services, claim to have a vague and non-visible disability (like a "bad back" or a case of claustrophia, or simply rent a wheelchair or scooter to "look" like you need assistance) and receive a GAC without any questions asked. Hiring someone with a GAC makes no sense.

Also, I can't imagine that a rich NYC family who sends their children to private school (as stated in the article) would admit that they can't afford $300 for VIP service and would instead make a bargain for a guide with GAC pass.

This article just reeks of BS.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This article sounds fake simply because, as you can read all about in the thread about GAC changes, ANYONE can walk up to guest services, claim to have a vague and non-visible disability (like a "bad back" or a case of claustrophia, or simply rent a wheelchair or scooter to "look" like you need assistance) and receive a GAC without any questions asked. Hiring someone with a GAC makes no sense.

Also, I can't imagine that a rich NYC family who sends their children to private school (as stated in the article) would admit that they can't afford $300 for VIP service and would instead make a bargain for a guide with GAC pass.

You'd be surprised what the "fake rich" of the NE would do to pretend they are rich.

the.dreamfinder

Yep. Make a wish does a lot of great things with Disney and a lot of kids end up wishing to go to WDW. They absolutely should get to go to the front of the line. Sorry for the thread drift, but if anyone is interested, here's a little story of a wish granted relating to Disney. Although it was not a trip to WDW I think it's pretty cool that the kid got to see some of the new technology the Imagineers were working on for FLE last spring:

http://philadelphia.wish.org/2012/07/03/i-wish-to-meet-the-disney-imagineers/

Lucky the Dinosaur sighting!!!!!

PhotoDave219

I'm sorry, I have a much darker view of humanity and the guests that visit the Walt Disney World resort.

IMO rich mommies in Manhattan arent going to do any research, they're going to pay for whatever they need to in order to avoid the lines.

It makes sense to me.

PhotoDave219

I was a bouncer at a str...er...entertainment venue when my life crashed before I got a job teaching...also a very long story...

I have a VERY good idea (though not a first had one, I have no interest in cooties) of how it works. But, money pays bills. And those willing to pay today are higher priority contracts than those willing to pay tomorrow.

Ha! I knew people who worked in that line of work. We could trade stories LOL

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm sorry, I have a much darker view of humanity and the guests that visit the Walt Disney World resort.

IMO rich mommies in Manhattan arent going to do any research, they're going to pay for whatever they need to in order to avoid the lines.

It makes sense to me.

Oh don't get me started. I used to call those ignorant rich women "Mall Moms"...because their life existed of expensive shopping "meet ups" where they would "treat" their kids to our venue (some really cute and wonderful kids) while they complained about everything for a living, including their own luxurious existence while they charged everything to hubby's Amex black or silver.

They drove me nuts, and frankly, I'd rather have run stores in the ghetto where they tried to use EBT cards to pay for meals, than those stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom