Revenge of the Mummy extended refurbishment

EricsBiscuit

I went to USH last week thinking I’d ride the Mummy and… it too was closed for refurbishment. When I went to USF the week before, it closed for the day around 2 pm before I got there. No luck so far lol

JT3000

The ride has been down a lot. I finally got to ride this week and... the first AA was in B mode. 😒 The second one looked spruced up a little, but nothing earth-shattering. In fact, disappointingly, the only big change I noticed in terms of show was that the scarab scene is entirely screen-based now, which I think is a downgrade. Not sure why they even made this change, but I liked the practical scarabs falling out of the holes in the wall. Bring them back. One thing I was hoping this refurb would restore were the weapons held by the mummy warriors in the treasure room, which disappeared inexplicably a few years ago. It did not. Some of the mummies still look like they're angrily shaking their fists at you like grumpy old men, which isn't terribly scary.

There's been some concern here over the launch, but on my ride, it actually seemed a little more powerful than usual. Similarly, the second drop out of the fake unload had some extra oomph to it. I don't recall the last time I've gotten that much airtime on this ride, if ever. Unfortunately, it's not all good news for the actual ride experience either, as both coaster sections felt much rougher than I remember them being. I'm not sure which sections of the track they supposedly replaced, but they might as well replace the whole thing if it's going to ride like this. The first coaster section used to be pure fun once you got past that first drop awkwardly trying to throw you into the person to your right, but this time I found myself bracing the entire time, not knowing when the next bump in the road would come. I understand this refurb was more for operational purposes than anything, but from a rider's point of view, it left a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

cheezbat

Just rode it the other day….really wasn’t too different all around. The scarab room was the most noticeable change. The launch felt the same, the animatronics looked the same, fire effect as hot as ever, and the coaster rose almost exactly as it did before.

Clearly this was more a technical upgrade than anything.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I wonder what the hold up is. Can anyone report if the ride experience has improved from the awkward stops and messed up pacing reported earlier?

jmv5010

I rode it on Saturday. To be completely honest, it is hard for me to remember how it was before because I hadn't rode it in about 2 years. It did remind me of how short the ride is, though.

As for awkward stops, I didn't have any on my ride -- everything seemed just fine.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
The gift shop was rethemed to be a gift shop for the ancient Egyptian museum exhibit that the queue takes place in and mentions it to be a recreation of the archeological dig site the (cursed) artifacts were recovered from. So that sort of changes the queue from being a film set to an “on location” shoot.

But yeah other than that, it’s all the same. Sort of seems like a complete reworking of the story was in the cards but got cut.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Rode again after a few months. The pacing is still off. You spend a longer time in the treasure room, which is fine, but you're in there long enough for the scene to finish and reset as the slab door starts to lower.

The new scarab scene looks worse than it did when the ride was newer many years ago.

You come to a softer stop at the scarab scene and false ending, I'm not sure if this is because of different braking methods or if because your overall speed is slower, because...

The launch I'm like 70% sure is not as powerful as it used to be.

Some of the audio, especially the onboard audio, seems a bit too low. This is a common issue at Disney but rare at Universal.

I know it's not "finished" still (what's the holdup?) but this ride deserved a complete modernization but instead as it is, it's worse than pre-refurbishment.

EricsBiscuit

Rode again after a few months. The pacing is still off. You spend a longer time in the treasure room, which is fine, but you're in there long enough for the scene to finish and reset as the slab door starts to lower.

The new scarab scene looks worse than it did when the ride was newer many years ago.

You come to a softer stop at the scarab scene and false ending, I'm not sure if this is because of different braking methods or if because your overall speed is slower, because...

The launch I'm like 70% sure is not as powerful as it used to be.

Some of the audio, especially the onboard audio, seems a bit too low. This is a common issue at Disney but rare at Universal.

I know it's not "finished" still (what's the holdup?) but this ride deserved a complete modernization but instead as it is, it's worse than pre-refurbishment.
I’ve ridden this ride multiple times over the last month and I disagree with you in basically each point lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom