Resort Refillable Mug Bar Codes???!!???

dannysbelle

Ok....I've heard a bazillion rumors about the resorts putting bar codes on new refillable mugs so they are only good for length of stay. I'm going next week and really hadn't planned on spending the money again, but if I have to, I guess I will. Anyone hear any TRUTH to this or been to an AS resort in the last week and can give a truthful update?:brick: All I've read has people all frustrated over this, but no one seems to know the actual story on it. Thanks!

db

Seano846

Let me get this straight, some people Actually make it a point to pack their mugs from previous trips to get over on free soda? SPEND THE 9 BUCK AGAIN, YOU ARE ON VACATION :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

tiggerlover1971

we just bring a couple of twelve packs of soda and water from home get ice from the ice machine and drink with out even going into the food court because by the time we get back to the hotel from the park we just want to colapse . we do buy the drinks when we get breakfast and i have always had good attentions by bringing a water bottle with me drink it and refill it but i always end up buying cold ones in the park:wave:

Upvote 0

gjpjtj

One thing about this post that nobody has seemed to answer is, how will Disney enforce this? Will they move the soda island behind the registers? Will there be a soda patrol? Does anyone know?:(

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by tiggerlover1971
we just bring a couple of twelve packs of soda and water from home get ice from the ice machine and drink with out even going into the food court because by the time we get back to the hotel from the park we just want to colapse . we do buy the drinks when we get breakfast and i have always had good attentions by bringing a water bottle with me drink it and refill it but i always end up buying cold ones in the park:wave:

that is what we do, kinda. except my dad does the two 24 packs of diet coke. he just switches out the pop in the room for the warm ones, and does that every day. and since he is addicted to diet coke, it saves a few bucks!!

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by gjpjtj
One thing about this post that nobody has semmend to answer is, how will Disney enforce this? Will they move the soda island behind the registers? Will there be a soda patrol? Does anyone know?:(

hopefully someone will answer that after they go on vacation...soon? I dont think they have started it yet, thus I am sure they havent done much in the way of telling people about it.

who knows, maybe it wont work, and they will go back to the old system!:lookaroun

Upvote 0

McArcDes

Are we sure that they will make us go thru the check out line before we refill? It would be easier to put the bar code scanner on right at the soda machine so you just swipe your cup and fill up. That way they dont have to patrol the soda machine, they keep the soda machine in the same place and you dont have to waste time in the check out line.

Personally we but two new cups every time we go down and share them between the six of us. (2 adults and 4 kids) It saves us a bunch of money and we too fill up comming and going to and from the parks, at each meal etc. We get a lot of use out of them.

I really think this would be more to keep people who dont by the cups from refilling than having people come back and reuse the ones they bought on previous trips.

Upvote 0

danamarie27

I don't think this is being "cheap". I spend ALOT of money on this trip. Being a single parent, it takes me two years to save enough for the trip and spending money. Disney is not a cheap trip. I don't think it is impossible to have a sorta...big sorta....freebie soda . You should have to buy new cups each trip and I do. But, the thought of waiting in line to refill is RIDICULOUS!!! The suggestions someone made about swipeing your cup b4 a refill sounds the most efficient. I have no intention of standing in line for a drink after standing in line all day for rides, entrance to the park, busses....I mean COME ON enoguh already. They cannot be serious with this. In all fairness, as much as the resorts etc cost they should give you the cup for staying there. Fountain soda is about one cent per 6 oz cost to them. Unbelievable.....:mad:

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by danamarie27
I don't think this is being "cheap". I spend ALOT of money on this trip. Being a single parent, it takes me two years to save enough for the trip and spending money. Disney is not a cheap trip. I don't think it is impossible to have a sorta...big sorta....freebie soda . You should have to buy new cups each trip and I do. But, the thought of waiting in line to refill is RIDICULOUS!!! The suggestions someone made about swipeing your cup b4 a refill sounds the most efficient. I have no intention of standing in line for a drink after standing in line all day for rides, entrance to the park, busses....I mean COME ON enoguh already. They cannot be serious with this. In all fairness, as much as the resorts etc cost they should give you the cup for staying there. Fountain soda is about one cent per 6 oz cost to them. Unbelievable.....:mad:

I totally agree with her. there is no reason NOT to cut corners. hey, I am apoor college student, I know what it is like to scrimp for a long time to get somewhere! power to the "old cup" people!

Upvote 0

Bdis86

Account Suspended
This is the way I see it being done. Barcode scanners will be built into the soda machines. Get your ice by pushing a button once, and a previously determined amount of ice will enter your cup. After you get your ice, scan the cup under the drink's name. The drink's logo will light up. Press the logo, and it fills up. Note that this will limit how much drink you get in a cup. And Ice will be limited as well. I think this Idea stinks, but that's the only way I see it being done. And No ice? Either a different button to push or you get less soda.
:(:fork:

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Bdis86
This is the way I see it being done. Barcode scanners will be built into the soda machines. Get your ice by pushing a button once, and a previously determined amount of ice will enter your cup. After you get your ice, scan the cup under the drink's name. The drink's logo will light up. Press the logo, and it fills up. Note that this will limit how much drink you get in a cup. And Ice will be limited as well. I think this Idea stinks, but that's the only way I see it being done. And No ice? Either a different button to push or you get less soda.
:(:fork:

Also just so people don't buy one mug and then pour the contents into another person's cup and keep refilling....

"Limit One Re-Fill Every 15 Minutes" :drevil:

Upvote 0

Dr. Dom

I was at WDW last week and didn't see anything at Port Orleans, Polynesian, Contemporary, or Boardwalk to indicate that there would be a new refillable mug program. Now, if the All-Stars and Caribbean Beach are getting the pilot systems first, then, of course, I wouldn't have seen them. However, at Typhoon Lagoon, there is a system in place for the all-day refillable mug that uses a bar-code scanner at the drink station itself. In fact, while in line at Leaning Palms waiting for my lunch order, I heard a CM tell someone behind me to take the mug right over to the scanner-supplied drink station. If Disney will limit refillable mugs to length-of-stay at the resorts, the system would probably be based on the one at Typhoon Lagoon, rather than making people stand in line at the cashier stations.

Whether or not a person buys a new mug each trip or reuses a mug from a previous trip, having a system that limits the amount of refills to the length of stay may seem unfair. One other way to think about it, though, is to consider that a regular soda is $1.79 to $1.99. Unless a person only has a few Cokes, the refillable mugs still pay for themselves fairly quickly.

Upvote 0

bearboysnc

Note that this will limit how much drink you get in a cup. And Ice will be limited as well. I think this Idea stinks, but that's the only way I see it being done. And No ice? Either a different button to push or you get less soda.

They aren't going to invest that much money to "limit" your soda/ice. Soda costs pennies.

After ice, the cups barely holds 8 oz of soda (cans holds 12). I needed 3 refills just to eat my meal. Soda Vending machines charge $1. You would need roughly 15 refills to justify the $10 mug charge.

If you hang out by the pool, or are in a room near the food court it may be worth it. It wasn't worth the hassle to me. I'd rather get a can from the machine.

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by illuminations25

Also just so people don't buy one mug and then pour the contents into another person's cup and keep refilling....

"Limit One Re-Fill Every 15 Minutes" :drevil:

but I am addicted to coca-cola! I drink it faster than 15 minutes!!!! haha. but these are really good ideas, especially if they actually use a different system and it fails. though, how bout you don't mention it to anyone...... I dont think I can handle the 15 minute wait!!! ;)

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Yeah limiting the number of refills sort of defeats the refill purpose of the cup. Like I said before this was our first time buying the cups...we flew this time and only brought along bottled water for the baby. Still those cups dont hold all that much....my husband drank one while waiting in line to pay for the food, then immediately refilled for dinner and refilled again while eatting...but filled with ice the way I like it I just measured my cup out and got just less than 6 ounces of water in the cup with ice in it. Unless we get super cheap airfare for next year we will be driving again and bringing our own drinks again...using ice from ice machine. If they go to the scanner on the machines do they really limit time wise how often you can refill? All of these cut backs etc will hurt Disney with the repeat customers...which seems like most people here....how much money do they think they will save???

Upvote 0

leeocean

I think it would cost them more to put the scanning machines out and track how many refills for EVERY mug in WDW than to just keep it the way it is. Who is going to stop you from refilling if you get rejected? Is a CM going to stand at every scanner? I don't think that scanning will happen, logistically speaking.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

If they go to a system like this, then they really can't charge by the mugs they would have to charge by how long your stay is. If I am staying at a resort for three days, I don't think I should have to pay the same price as someone staying for nine days. It wouldn't be fair to the person staying at the resort the shorter length of time.

Truthfully I don't see a system like this happening. The refillable mug system will probably stay the same as it is now.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Ohhhh great point DisneyInsider.....I never even thought about that part! Of course maybe Disney is thinking that most guests wont think about it either...well we have now~

Upvote 0

Hurricane

Not to be elitist, but will this apply to Deluxe resorts? When you're paying 300 bucks a night to sleep in a room that, apart from a little themeing, is on par with your average 2 star holiday inn, complete with <150 thread count sheets (are there any other highly regarded hotels out there that have such low quality sheets as disneys? I guess i travel too much) you expect some perks. I have personally used my wilderness lodge mugs for the past 3 years, and can say that between my family and I they have probably saved me well over a thousand dollars in drinks. And while I'm all for saving money I think that i've gotten my moneys worth and will be willing to pay for new mugs, this is not the case for some. I guess I'd prefer to be scanned than to go back to pre-mug days when you had to pay for every drink.

My only concern is will the price be based on the length of stay and what will happen if visitors wish to buy mugs who are not staying on property?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom