Resort Parking Charges

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s true, and it’s only because they haven’t increased prices enough to make it effective and/or price increases have had some effect because demand would probably be even higher with older pricing models.

I predicted demand based pricing and perhaps more of that would deter some of the insane crowds. I would support increasing ticket prices by 50% or even more. I hate it, but the failure to expand meaningfully created the problem. I just hope they see it as a problem.

Frankly, I’m surprised people complain about parking fees at all. They should be complaining about the crowds. That is a WAY bigger and far more unavoidable problem. At least with fees, you decide to pay or not and move on. The crowds are just in your face all the time and the only thing I believe can ruin a Disney experience.
When they said they were increasing prices to deter crowds...they outright lied to you.

That’s not illegal...it just victimized gullability.

They need parks to generate more profit and OI...and there’s only one way to do it: charge more people higher prices.

Disney parks are not “luxury” destinations and never will be. They are pricey...but the company philosophy on labor and services is to limit them by not supplying what is necessary for luxury. And they’re amusement parks...in the end. Sometimes a cake is a cake.

There will never be a quaint exclusive crowd. It doesn’t work for what they need and the pool isn’t big enough to sustain itself.

Chef Mickey

When they said they were increasing prices to deter crowds...they outright lied to you.

That’s not illegal...it just victimized gullability.

They need parks to generate more profit and OI...and there’s only one way to do it: charge more people higher prices.

Disney parks are not “luxury” destinations and never will be. They are pricey...but the company philosophy on labor and services is to limit them by not supplying what is necessary for luxury. And they’re amusement parks...in the end. Sometimes a cake is a cake.

There will never be a quaint exclusive crowd. It doesn’t work for what they need and the pool isn’t big enough to sustain itself.
I’m long DIS, so I need they want butts in the parks.

Regarding crowds...I didn’t Even know they said that or if they did. I said that.

I don’t think anyone called Disney “luxury” either, bt they are certainly the best amusement parks, so we are going to pay up for them.

I take other vacations if I want luxury.mi go to Disney because I love the parks and the content.

They don’t need to cut the crowds for only the super rich or something. They just need to take some of insanity out so it doesn’t become a beating to go. They still do a tremendous job managing the crowds, but there is a point it’s too much.

I do think Disney thinks about guest experience in relation to crowd levels. They obviously want as many people there as possible, but there is some concern about happy guests and not just bodies. I personally like events like a Disney after hours and other special event tickets to restore some normalcy to crowd levels.

I actually just avoid Disney during peak crowds.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t think anyone is NOT advocating voting with your wallet. You should

Then you should avoid belittling people as if 'maybe they can't afford it' if they actually pay attention to it (like you did here -
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/resort-parking-charges.944655/post-8282720) or challenging people who were willing to say 'enough is enough' (Like you did here https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/resort-parking-charges.944655/post-8282236)

I hope you can still enjoy Disney and not give up over something this minor.

Consensus spoke... next full family one will be back on a cruise, not at the parks. I just gotta work out how I'm getting to SW:GE ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m long DIS, so I need they want butts in the parks.

Regarding crowds...I didn’t Even know they said that or if they did. I said that.

I don’t think anyone called Disney “luxury” either, bt they are certainly the best amusement parks, so we are going to pay up for them.

I take other vacations if I want luxury.mi go to Disney because I love the parks and the content.

They don’t need to cut the crowds for only the super rich or something. They just need to take some of insanity out so it doesn’t become a beating to go. They still do a tremendous job managing the crowds, but there is a point it’s too much.

I do think Disney thinks about guest experience in relation to crowd levels. They obviously want as many people there as possible, but there is some concern about happy guests and not just bodies. I personally like events like a Disney after hours and other special event tickets to restore some normalcy to crowd levels.

I actually just avoid Disney during peak crowds.

You’ve stumbled onto the real, unsolvable problem.

The “reported” attendance in 2000...after dak...was 44,000,000 people

The number in 2017? 55,000,000

They’ve added NOTHING to handle that kind of crowd volume increase...a larger downtown, avatar and more pavement in magic kingdom doesn’t make a dent.

The crowds won’t diminish where you want them to go and can’t...it’s a mathematic numbers game and Iger squandered the footprint advantage that the two previous regimes built in Orlando.

And Disney doesn’t want them to reduce...because they are adding capacity, lodging and for the first time in forever - new transportation and parking capacity.

The writings on the wall.

You can pay $400 for after hours magic and the crowds are going to grow.

You sound like me: wish for a recession...a big one. Then you get less crowds and I get to keep some money during those smaller crowds.

Winner winner

Chef Mickey

You’ve stumbled onto the real, unsolvable problem.

The “reported” attendance in 2000...after dak...was 44,000,000 people

The number in 2017? 55,000,000

They’ve added NOTHING to handle that kind of crowd volume increase...a larger downtown, avatar and more pavement in magic kingdom doesn’t make a dent.

The crowds won’t diminish where you want them to go and can’t...it’s a mathematic numbers game and Iger squandered the footprint advantage that the two previous regimes built in Orlando.

And Disney doesn’t want them to reduce...because they are adding capacity, lodging and for the first time in forever - new transportation and parking capacity.

The writings on the wall.

You can pay $400 for after hours magic and the crowds are going to grow.

You sound like me: wish for a recession...a big one. Then you get less crowds and I get to keep some money during those smaller crowds.

Winner winner
We are agree on their failure to expand. I've been pounding that since I joined this board.

Price will impact attendance, but Disney doesn't have the guts to do what's really necessary to thin them out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We are agree on their failure to expand. I've been pounding that since I joined this board.

...I’ve been pounding that on the candyland boards and interstupidity before that since the day it started...roughly the start of the Eisner ouster...

Falling behind In amusements - even on the grand expensive scale of Disney - has been disasterous in history 100% of the time.

homerdance

...I’ve been pounding that on the candyland boards and interstupidity before that since the day it started...roughly the start of the Eisner ouster...

Falling behind In amusements - even on the grand expensive scale of Disney - has been disasterous in history 100% of the time.

Ticket/hotel increases need to happen if only to get the funds for expansion (and that supply/demand thing) but I will once again re-iterate parking fees at a hotel when only certain people are charged to park is bs. But the problem with past increases is they have been used to fund stock buy back which mainly benefit iger

Chef Mickey

I don't think it will mean any kind of disaster for Disney. They can always "catch up" like they are sort of doing lately with the EPCOT announcements, Star Wars, Toy Story, and Avatar. My bigger issue is it could/should be so much more already and they should practically never close attractions like Snow White, The Great Movie Ride, Mr. Toad, etc. They need "stuff" to do and it doesn't all have to be IP. Oh and don't be afraid to update rides without scrapping them.

D M C

Price will impact attendance, but Disney doesn't have the guts to do what's really necessary to thin them out.
Ok, if they can't thin them out why are they adding more rooms into the equation? The parks are so miserably crowded that it seems to be at dangerous levels. I was at MK in March and there wasn't room to move. I felt so surrounded that I couldn't stay for the fireworks. I guess you could say I had my 1st panic attack of my life. When they build all the new resorts where will all those guests be going? Parks already overcrowded..... I just don't see their plan to fix a worse situation that is being created.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think it will mean any kind of disaster for Disney. They can always "catch up" like they are sort of doing lately with the EPCOT announcements, Star Wars, Toy Story, and Avatar. My bigger issue is it could/should be so much more already and they should practically never close attractions like Snow White, The Great Movie Ride, Mr. Toad, etc. They need "stuff" to do and it doesn't all have to be IP. Oh and don't be afraid to update rides without scrapping them.

If Disney gets a street rep as a severely overpriced, overcrowded nightmare where you can only go on 3 rides...it’s a disaster

Loss in consumer respect/confidence in a good is rarely a roll down the hill...it’s typically a cliff.

Beware

Chef Mickey

If Disney gets a street rep as a severely overpriced, overcrowded nightmare where you can only go on 3 rides...it’s a disaster

Loss in consumer respect/confidence in a good is rarely a roll down the hill...it’s typically a cliff.

Beware
Disney is a powerful, powerful brand with so many tentacles. I doubt very much the sentiment is anything close to what you describe. We have no idea and really no data to show any respect/confidence has been lost other than anecdotal rants on this forum. The numbers show ESPN is struggling, but many people don't even realize that's Disney. The Parks are certainly not struggling.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ticket/hotel increases need to happen if only to get the funds for expansion (and that supply/demand thing) but I will once again re-iterate parking fees at a hotel when only certain people are charged to park is bs. But the problem with past increases is they have been used to fund stock buy back which mainly benefit iger

No argument....

And what’s sad is when people are completely unaware of the buybacks and support the price increases...thinking they’ll benefit.

Buybacks help no one walking through the turnstile at magic kingdom that has to fight a crowd...never has and never will.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Ok, if they can't thin them out why are they adding more rooms into the equation? The parks are so miserably crowded that it seems to be at dangerous levels. I was at MK in March and there wasn't room to move. I felt so surrounded that I couldn't stay for the fireworks. I guess you could say I had my 1st panic attack of my life. When they build all the new resorts where will all those guests be going? Parks already overcrowded..... I just don't see their plan to fix a worse situation that is being created.
They are in the process of building out DHS and EPCOT is next. There needs to be more space to move, but that won't happen overnight. They are starting to invest in WDW, but it takes time.

You'll see them control crowds with price increases if nothing else. Fireworks are a crowded time. I find avoiding MK during peak holidays and early evenings still makes it manageable.

Chef Mickey

No argument....

And what’s said is when people are completely unaware of the buybacks and support the price increases...thinking they’ll benefit.

Buybacks help no one walking through the turnstile at magic kingdom that has to fight a crowd...never has and never will.
Buybacks are great when executed well...

Apple's has been outstanding. Berkshire's will be outstanding and the greatest investor of all time supports them.

Disney's buyback is suspended while they are bidding on Fox, BTW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Buybacks are great when executed well...

Apple's has been outstanding. Berkshire's will be outstanding and the greatest investor of all time supports them.

Disney's buyback is suspended while they are bidding on Fox, BTW.

I’m not talking about the investment angle. Though, like dividends, buybacks are used to manipulate “values” and probably should be severely limited.

I’m saying a stock buyback supported by higher ticket costs does NOTHING to give value to the person paying the prices at Disney parks. It benefits iger and the California public employees pension fund by propping up the stock price.

If anything...it hurts the traveler. The corporate hustlers see how easy it is for them to make personal wealth and they keep going back to the price trough to get more.

Which ends up with more people in the parks, payibg more to do the same or less things.

And now the circle is complete

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They are in the process of building out DHS and EPCOT is next. There needs to be more space to move, but that won't happen overnight. They are starting to invest in WDW, but it takes time.

You'll see them control crowds with price increases if nothing else. Fireworks are a crowded time. I find avoiding MK during peak holidays and early evenings still makes it manageable.
Buildouts are meant to increase attendance...not provide more value to fewer attending...

You can’t possibly be naive enough to think they want to level attendance, right?

The goal is increase attendance with fewer employees...the “holy grail” of American business

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney is a powerful, powerful brand with so many tentacles. I doubt very much the sentiment is anything close to what you describe. We have no idea and really no data to show any respect/confidence has been lost other than anecdotal rants on this forum. The numbers show ESPN is struggling, but many people don't even realize that's Disney. The Parks are certainly not struggling.

You just made the “Rome could never fall” statement.

Nobody ever believes something can happen...till it pops up on their twitter feed the day after it happens.

The nfl is going to fall...a lot sooner than anyone thinks. But nobody believes that.

I use two recent example of companies with huge brand rep that have fallen: Kodak and GE.

In the 1980’s...nobody would have not laughed at that. Same would have been said of sears 20 years prior.

Apple will fall.

Disney has an amazing advantage in name recognition. But travel and media are incredibly volatile. A turn on product could happen much more quickly than a behemoth corporation can adjust to it. It’s not impossible at all.

Chef Mickey

Buildouts are meant to increase attendance...not provide more value to fewer attending...

You can’t possibly be naive enough to think they want to level attendance, right?

The goal is increase attendance with fewer employees...the “holy grail” of American business
Of course they want to increase attendance, but the bodies per square foot could be reduced, particularly in the off peak times. I believe a new 3-4 lands that supports 10,000 people can have a relieving effect to the rest of the park. You won't have an increase in attendance that keeps pace with the new space...at least, that's my opinion.

It's the reason MK is so crowded at night now...best fireworks and nighttime activities and latest hours at times.

More space is all good to me, even if they obtain their goal of more yearly guests. It will be a net positive to crowd levels, particularly in the older areas.

Chef Mickey

You just made the “Rome could never fall” statement.

Nobody ever believes something can happen...till it pops up on their twitter feed the day after it happens.

The nfl is going to fall...a lot sooner than anyone thinks. But nobody believes that.

I use two recent example of companies with huge brand rep that have fallen: Kodak and GE.

In the 1980’s...nobody would have not laughed at that. Same would have been said of sears 20 years prior.

Apple will fall.

Disney has an amazing advantage in name recognition. But travel and media are incredibly volatile. A turn on product could happen much more quickly than a behemoth corporation can adjust to it. It’s not impossible at all.
GM is another.

What I'm trying to tell you and the other chicken littles is you have to see cracks in the numbers first and they aren't there in Apple or DIS. They are stronger, not weaker.

Kodak, GM, and GE had hundreds of warning signs in their earnings that told investors the facts are changing. Disney has some warning signs in ESPN, but definitely not in Parks or Studios.

Everyone falls, but you don't short great companies because they will eventually fall. You wait for facts to back up your claim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom