Resort Arcades, is it time for them to go?

DisneyFreak

I think most of the games in arcades have lost their luster because of the hand held systems and homing systems. I would miss air hockey and pinball though.

slappy magoo

I'm sure if Disney could figure out another, better way to monetize the space...or if it reaches the point where it's more expensive to maintain and power the games than the money they generate...they'll go away. But I will say that even though many handheld devices can hook up to the internet and give you someone to compete with, the arcade affords a sense of community, you're not playing with a friend back home or a stranger around the world, you can play with a kid right next to you and maybe, if even for a a few minute or an hour or an afternoon, make a new friend. I only ever went to WDW as an adult with the exception of my senior class trip, but I'll bet some people here can tell a story of meeting someone in one of the arcades.

Tom Morrow

There really isn't much that can fit into those spaces that can also serve the number of guests at the resorts.

Escape games themed to the resorts would be cool, but there are too many guests at each resort. The wait list would be way too long..

1990sWDW

I used to love the Dolphin arcade when I was young. I had an insatiable curiosity so I think I just loved setting up at a 4 player game like Simpsons and having some other kids come up to talk about where they were from, favorite park/ride, etc...

We always had a fish bowl at the house for loose change, and whenever it was time for a Disney trip, my dad would turn that into rolls of quarters for us to play in the arcade while he did early morning work calls and what not.

surfsupdon

I think the arcades are necessary. A pleasant diversion during a thunderstorm, after a meal, or to just walk through.

What is completely crazy to me is the lack of fitness centers at the Value and Moderate Resorts. For Disney prices, some free weights, mirrors, and machinery would be appreciated while on vacation. Especially with fitness trends.

Spash007

Stopping at the arcade our first night on our trip was one of my favorite memories. No rushing, worrying about lines, etc. Just good old fashioned fun!

Animaniac93-98

What is completely crazy to me is the lack of fitness centers at the Value and Moderate Resorts. For Disney prices, some free weights, mirrors, and machinery would be appreciated while on vacation. Especially with fitness trends.

Coronado Springs has one, but the deluxe Polynesian does not.

While it's becoming a more common feature in chain hotels, it's obviously not a priority for Disney.

Rsj88

We love the arcade too! My kids would be so disappointed if they got rid of them. We usually play the first night we drive in or when we take an afternoon off from the parks.

Time41

I have this thought every once and awhile, when we are at WDW we always notice the arcades are always empty. We were also watching some of TheTimTracker resort tour videos on youtube recently, and every time he goes into the arcades they are empty. Maybe I'm wrong, but, it seems like these spaces could be better used for something else. What do we think, do you and your family visit the resort arcades still?

Time41

I have this thought every once and awhile, when we are at WDW we always notice the arcades are always empty. We were also watching some of TheTimTracker resort tour videos on youtube recently, and every time he goes into the arcades they are empty. Maybe I'm wrong, but, it seems like these spaces could be better used for something else. What do we think, do you and your family visit the resort arcades still?
Well one of the things about being at Disney land is the ability to be a kid again. To have fun and unwind. The great thing about arcades is no lines , entertainment , while waiting for another ride or show. There is a difference between adult arcades and children arcades of today. While I would enjoy seeing a big main section of 70's, 80's and 90's arcade games like pinball machines, Pac man games and well just all of them. Miss playing Tron. Miss trying to beat high scores. If they could hire a person to maintain games daily and make it to were kids didn't have a need to break into them or get free plays. I think it could be a great place to hang out. Especially with vertical reality games. There should be an indoor section to theme park. I mean an indoor jumping gym, indoor arcade with the most to choose from aside from the resorts. Sit down arcade areas for maybe a treasure hunt of Some kind. Maybe a indoor scuba dive. Slides to drop down levels of indoor options. Indoor laser tag. Then an arcade for younger kids with a couple adult games for hanging out with kids while they play there games. Yet this may not be worth while because of how a growing number of kids treat things these days. Cost to up keep maybe to high.

Sad to say while I would really enjoy some time playing a few video games for a couple hours each day I spent there. Like I said I really enjoyed theme older arcade games and you can't find a lot of the ones I use to play anymore. May not be economical. The new arcades are not geared towards the older generation. Not even teen generations. They are more like chuckee cheese games. Just not as fun.

nickys

Premium Member
So now the Beach Club arcade is going, to make room for the expansion of Beaches and Cream.

The Contemporary one is gone. And although the kids’ activity event is also going, I somehow doubt they will be reinstating the arcade machines, sadly.

I suspect Disney think they’re too old school and if they can make “better use” of the space they will - and obviously that really means if they can make more money from the space. 😢

Randyland

It is a matter of methods of operations.

Arcades are a tool to entertain, or just to gather pocket money.

If you make the Arcade a destination point of interest, you will find people there...

If you place equipment just to take money if and when Guests are there, then it becomes empty unless folks happen in...

Either way it is a service provided for Guests and has earned a place in our culture, even if underutilized.

BWDVCkidsince96

Curious what would be a better use for these limited recreational spaces.

Well, they turned the ESPN club arcade into the Ample Hills Creamery. That wasn't technically a resort arcade I guess though since there is another boardwalk arcade. I liked the ESPN club arcade/shopping area though....but I also like ice cream so its a wash lol

ppete1975

They need to either retro them and make them feel like flynns... or totally make them modern with vr... right now they are kind of a sad small mall arcade (the few malls that still have one)

Time41

The arcades are so spread out and really if there was a dedicated spot for the older machines I think there would be a lot more people there playing. If you added a Disney themed roll playing game like Disney's Kingdom hearts. If it was geared more to adults after hours. The money could be there especially if they had the rare arcades. Even if there were some Raspberry PI stations.

Bpmorley

Don't most of the DVC community centers have video game players. I know I've seen them at SSR and BWV. don't know about the others.

WDWTank

Well one of the things about being at Disney land is the ability to be a kid again. To have fun and unwind. The great thing about arcades is no lines , entertainment , while waiting for another ride or show. There is a difference between adult arcades and children arcades of today. While I would enjoy seeing a big main section of 70's, 80's and 90's arcade games like pinball machines, Pac man games and well just all of them. Miss playing Tron. Miss trying to beat high scores. If they could hire a person to maintain games daily and make it to were kids didn't have a need to break into them or get free plays. I think it could be a great place to hang out. Especially with vertical reality games. There should be an indoor section to theme park. I mean an indoor jumping gym, indoor arcade with the most to choose from aside from the resorts. Sit down arcade areas for maybe a treasure hunt of Some kind. Maybe a indoor scuba dive. Slides to drop down levels of indoor options. Indoor laser tag. Then an arcade for younger kids with a couple adult games for hanging out with kids while they play there games. Yet this may not be worth while because of how a growing number of kids treat things these days. Cost to up keep maybe to high.

Sad to say while I would really enjoy some time playing a few video games for a couple hours each day I spent there. Like I said I really enjoyed theme older arcade games and you can't find a lot of the ones I use to play anymore. May not be economical. The new arcades are not geared towards the older generation. Not even teen generations. They are more like chuckee cheese games. Just not as fun.
I agree :) And pinball is going through a huge resurgence right now and it would be a shame if they got rid it. And Wreck-it-Ralph and TRON are Disney movies, everyone would think they could utilize it in some way :) If only Disneyquest was replaced by an authentic large Pizza Planet instead of NBA, that would’ve been so awesome :D

nickys

Premium Member
Don't most of the DVC community centers have video game players. I know I've seen them at SSR and BWV. don't know about the others.

There is a difference though between gaming machines like an Xbox and the arcades. I have a stack of the cards that my youngest collected at the Contemporary arcade when he was around 12. He loved going across from BLT in the evening to play, and tried collecting as many as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom