Resort Arcades, is it time for them to go?

fluffy

I agree 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000%
They need to maintain their pins more too.
The Fiesta Fun Center in its prime was one of my favorite places in WDW. We would go to the Contemporary just to visit it for a couple of hours every trip. It was truly an impressive spot. I think a retro arcade of that scale along with the mandatory ticket games (ugh) could still be quite viable. Pinball is enjoying a bit of a resurgence and I always appreciated that most of the Disney arcades have at least tried to keep 1 or 2 of them around.
That was my favorite place to be at night. Loved the pinball machines. So sad that it's closed. Have not been there for years.

fluffy

Perhaps they are empty a lot of the time because the games cost so much these days. Years ago one could play for hours on a pinball machine with $20. Not anymore. I don't even like the arcade games they have out today. GIve me the old 70 and 80's games any day.

NiarrNDisney

The only one I would change is the one at Beach Club. The arcade should be taken out or relocated so that the space can be used to extend Beaches and Cream. Currently, B&C seems smaller than the arcade next door to it!
I totally agree with that! There are a few spaces that could be used for the Fitness Center and the Arcade over their standing placement which would benefit Beaches & Cream space wise.

Bpmorley

I think, from a DVC standpoint, they should. DVC resort have video game players in the community halls, which leaves the arcades empty. But that being said, you know if they weren't making some kind of money they would be closed already.

nickys

Premium Member
I think, from a DVC standpoint, they should. DVC resort have video game players in the community halls, which leaves the arcades empty. But that being said, you know if they weren't making some kind of money they would be closed already.

Not all DVC resorts have community halls though. And Kidani does but doesn't' have video games, don't think Bay Lake has them either.

fluffy

I am amazed at how many people know the Disney Resorts inside and out....so much so that they feel invested in using the game room spaces for something else. LOL Only game room I was somewhat familiar with was at the Contemporary but I hear it's not there anymore. I can't imagine getting rid of ALL of them. They are useful on rainy days and down times. And like someone said, Disney's making money or they'd get rid of them all.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I've seen the arcades busy, I think they serve a purpose. If they were not generating revenue, or having a value, I think Disney would be rip them out. I think on occasion, my kids have enjoyed time there. Its not like we spend 24 hours a day at the parks, and so some other downtime is needed and this just one aspect of that downtime. Just my $.02

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't use the arcades often, but from time to time, they're nice to have. My younger son and I spent time in one last year, because he asked to it one evening after the pool closed and we were both too tired to consider going back to the park. It was busy, and he had a ball spending all of $5 in an hour.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's such a strange world we live in..Here we have attractions at Disney Springs where we can put on Virtual Reality Helmets to play in The Void..
Now guest want to know if it's time for Arcades to go since no one goes to them....

And yet they tear this down that did Both all in one complex...If all they did was update the place added The Void to it and made Dining as good as going to a Dave & Busters or Gameworks...This place could have had a few more years to it....
Disney-Quest_Full_19238.jpg

USofA scott

It's an upcharge in its current form, and it's an upcharge in my suggested form. Not really sure where you're going with this. I'm not forcing you to like my idea either. Move along.
Wow, "Move Along". Why do people think that on a DISCUSSION Board, if someone disagrees with them, the disagreeing party should just move along and ignore the post they disagree with? I think that would kind of make a one-sided discussion.

BraveGirl

My kids love the arcade, we just never have time to go in them because we are open to close park people. We usually go the day we are leaving, if we have a late enough flight.

WDW Dad 23

My kids always go to the arcade at the Beach Club. They usually get an ice cream from the Beaches and Cream take-out and then head in there to play air hockey. They may play one or two other things, but the air hockey provdes both "competition" and a way to relax in the evenings after long days in the park. We can then take a quick dip in the pool and off to bed...definitely wouldn't want to see them go.

Bronson55

Interesting old article in the Orlando Sentinel back in January 2015. Googles has other links on same subject.

Could this possibly have made a change in the popularity of these game rooms? I remember kids running around with fists full of redemption tickets back then

From that article:
Walt Disney World stopped dispensing prizes at its hotel video-game arcades, and Florida's ban on Internet cafes may be to blame.

Prize redemption counters at the resort's hotels, where kids turn in game points for toys and candy, are being closed. The hotels and other spots in the resort are also losing claw machines, the joystick-maneuvered games that inspired one of the most famous scenes in "Toy Story."

Disney acknowledged it is shutting down the redemption counters and claw machines but wouldn't say why. Some in Florida's arcade industry, though, say Disney appears to be avoiding the threat of legal action after the state's 2013 legislation banning Internet cafes. In its wake, opponents of the legislation have sued Dave & Buster's and Chuck E. Cheese's, arguing their arcade games also violate the broadly written law. Final rulings not been made in those lawsuits.

"I'm sure Disney's the last place in the world that wants to get accused of operating a gambling house," said Michael Wolf, an attorney representing the Florida Arcade and Bingo Association.

The prize redemption counter at the All-Star Music is already gone, with redemption counters slated for removal at the Contemporary, All-Star Sports, Pop Century and Art of Animation. The Tomorrow land Arcade in the Magic Kingdom is closing entirely on Feb. 8. At the resorts, the arcades might remain, though guests will no longer be able to play for prizes.

Cmdr_Crimson

Interesting old article in the Orlando Sentinel back in January 2015. Googles has other links on same subject.

Could this possibly have made a change in the popularity of these game rooms? I remember kids running around with fists full of redemption tickets back then

From that article:
Walt Disney World stopped dispensing prizes at its hotel video-game arcades, and Florida's ban on Internet cafes may be to blame.

Prize redemption counters at the resort's hotels, where kids turn in game points for toys and candy, are being closed. The hotels and other spots in the resort are also losing claw machines, the joystick-maneuvered games that inspired one of the most famous scenes in "Toy Story."

Disney acknowledged it is shutting down the redemption counters and claw machines but wouldn't say why. Some in Florida's arcade industry, though, say Disney appears to be avoiding the threat of legal action after the state's 2013 legislation banning Internet cafes. In its wake, opponents of the legislation have sued Dave & Buster's and Chuck E. Cheese's, arguing their arcade games also violate the broadly written law. Final rulings not been made in those lawsuits.

"I'm sure Disney's the last place in the world that wants to get accused of operating a gambling house," said Michael Wolf, an attorney representing the Florida Arcade and Bingo Association.

The prize redemption counter at the All-Star Music is already gone, with redemption counters slated for removal at the Contemporary, All-Star Sports, Pop Century and Art of Animation. The Tomorrow land Arcade in the Magic Kingdom is closing entirely on Feb. 8. At the resorts, the arcades might remain, though guests will no longer be able to play for prizes.

Most of the games that gave tickets or redemption's are still there....However they don't dispense points anymore and are more for just the fun of playing it instead....

It's a shame we also lost the Arcade in the Tomorrowland Light & Power Co Building since it's been walled off...This could have been used for another indoor Meet & Greet of Somekind since the space is so huge...
SpaceMtnCollage_0.jpg

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Wow, "Move Along". Why do people think that on a DISCUSSION Board, if someone disagrees with them, the disagreeing party should just move along and ignore the post they disagree with? I think that would kind of make a one-sided discussion.
It’s the way you first respond. I’m reasonable and polite. But if you’re going to be sassy or sarcastic with, don’t get upset when I’m the same back to you.

NiarrNDisney

Most of the games that gave tickets or redemption's are still there....However they don't dispense points anymore and are more for just the fun of playing it instead....

It's a shame we also lost the Arcade in the Tomorrowland Light & Power Co Building since it's been walled off...This could have been used for another indoor Meet & Greet of Somekind since the space is so huge...
SpaceMtnCollage_0.jpg

It could have been Flynn's and added in incorporating the new Tron coaster

LEAVE MY ARCADE ALONE! XD LOL

I love the arcade, I play in there a few times during my stay usually the star wars podracer at port Orleans love the podracing game best arcade star wars game by far! lol

we also play the air hockey games in the early evening ive been in the arcade when it is dead but normally on an early evening a lot of kids go there or at least that's my experience

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom