Resort alarm clocks being replaced by USB/Power hubs?

Cmdr_Crimson

Always wondered why there were no wall clocks. They probably walk away.

Used to carry one of these back in the day. Now I use my phone and watch. Good to see USB ports showing up.
View attachment 119419

Especially if they looked like this....
7501002529665.jpg

Mouse_Trap

It appears resort alarm clocks are in the process of being replaced by USB/Power hubs. Not sure if this is around all the resorts or just DVC resort however - can anyone confirm

CTExcYZUcAAnOQc.jpg

Wow, that is ugly. Looks like they picked up the cheapest chineese rubbish fleabay has to offer.
That's the standard I would expect from a bog standard value motel. I'd expect far higher from Disney - even in their 'value' motel rooms.

I think its a very retrograde step removing the alarm clock. Whilst I really like the idea of providing more convenient power and usb plugs, what they should have is them integrated either into the furniture or into the alarm clock. At least that hub should be screwed down or against the wall.

Having the time clearly displayed in the room is the most basic of essential features for a hotel room. I don't want to be finding my phone and putting the screen on just to check the time. Good design is to have it easily viewed at a quick glance from almost anywhere in the room.

The alarm on the cell phone is no good at night to me. I turn my cell phones off before I go to bed and them them charge. When I am at WDW, I leave my cell phone for 13 to 14 straight hours and I don't charge mine inside the theme parks.

Many phones still sound any set alarms if turned off. Sometimes they ask about a soft off or full off, the soft being where the alarm will still sound.

True, but that article is a bit scaremongering. The liklihood is minimal, but can be completely circumvented by using a charge-only usb cable. That's what I use if using untrusted ports.

Maybe the "ticking" noise those clocks make would annoy some guests? I would think it would be a neat addition to the rooms to have those clocks!

It would annoy me, but theres plenty of clocks (usually slightly more expensive) which are silent (or as near to that you won't hear).

docdebbi

i guess i am the only one who still likes having a phone to call the front desk, or concierge, or bell services to come get my bags, or have the valet bring my car up before i get there. maybe i am just spoiled........
we did stay at boardwalk last month and it had the integrated chargers both in the tv stand and the desk and they were highly convenient. but i still want my phone

ABQ

i guess i am the only one who still likes having a phone to call the front desk, or concierge, or bell services to come get my bags, or have the valet bring my car up before i get there. maybe i am just spoiled........
we did stay at boardwalk last month and it had the integrated chargers both in the tv stand and the desk and they were highly convenient. but i still want my phone
I don't think anyone stated that phones are being removed.

docdebbi

I'm 45 and I probably used a pay phone before last time I used an alarm clock.

In all seriousness, they could remove the PHONES from a hotel room and 1% of guests would care. However, the liability of not being able to call 911 in an emergency is too great, so you will always get to have a $9/minute phone in your hotel room. Local calls are free, though!! Which is great considering I'm 1000 miles from home and I have nobody local to call.

Moving on.......

I don't think anyone stated that phones are being removed.

someone did, well at least that it would be ok with 99% of folks, i am that 1%. i want my phone

G00fyDad

Nobody has said that Disney is removing phones.

I stated that I have been to non-Disney hotels in recent years that have removed their phones.

Sorry for the confusion.

Lol. Confusion? You're lucky people didn't think you were trying to say that Disney's getting rid of value resorts. About Disney ever going to try to get rid of the phones though. Of the resorts you stayed in that did not have a phone, how did you get a hold of the front desk?

Dwarful

Do you not have a cell phone from the last 15 or so years. Alarms are standard on all cell phones.

My cell is a Samsung Galaxy S6 and I can honestly say I have never set the alarm feature on it in the 5 1/2 months I've owned it. I use an alarm clock in my bedroom...I don't take my cellphone to bed. I leave it on my counter to charge at night...anyone who needs me in an emergency knows my landline number...yep I got one of those old babies too...lol I always bring a power strip for charging..guess I need to add an alarm clock. We always do the wake up call, but I have it set later so the kids can hear the call. lol. I am sure this is a plus for most people, I just hope they keep some available for those of us that like alarm clocks.

allgiggles

Add me to the list of "old fogies" who prefer an alarm clock rather than using a phone alarm or the wake-up call. I occasionally use my phone alarm, but it's not as easy to hit the snooze button on my phone as it is to hit one on the alarm clock. :) Plus, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I don't want to have to "wake" my phone to see what time it is. Nor do I want to have to walk across the room to my phone to see what time it is during the day. I just want to look at the clock.

I've used the wake-up calls a few times...mostly for the kids...but when we were at AoA in June, I never received my scheduled wake-up call on 2 different days (thankfully we had our alarm clock set as well). It's nice to see the USB hubs in the resort rooms but we've had 2 portable ones that we've traveled with for a few years now so the in-room ones aren't necessities for us. The alarm clock is, though. I guess I'll add 1 or 2 of those to our travel bag now. <sigh>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom