Reservation expansion

UNCgolf

I don't think I've ever gone to the parks without doing at least a couple of attractions, but I do enjoy just wandering around.

Of course it was better before they ruined the shopping (both through lack of merchandise and de-emphasis on theme) -- they've now eliminated part of the fun of wandering around the parks.

There are also numerous attractions, including headliners, that don't interest me and I probably wouldn't bother riding if they were a walk-on, so that helps.

Disney Glimpses

I don't think I've ever gone to the parks without doing at least a couple of attractions, but I do enjoy just wandering around.
It's rare but it has happened on particularly busy days. Usually spending some time at EPCOT, grabbing a bite and a drink then hopping over to MK for dinner, watch a parade and then watch fireworks. Not saying I prefer this but I don't view the time not on an attraction as wasted.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
It's rare but it has happened on particularly busy days. Usually spending some time at EPCOT, grabbing a bite and a drink then hopping over to MK for dinner, watch a parade and then watch fireworks. Not saying I prefer this but I don't view the time not on an attraction as wasted.
Years ago I broke my neck and when I got the halo collar off, my neck muscles were like jelly. My doctor told me to go to WDW for at least 3 hours a day. Between the people watching and dodging crazy tourists with strollers my neck muscles eventually got stronger. going on rides at that point was out of the question.

bhg469

My wife and I go to Epcot after work often for a walk around world showcase. It's a nice picturesque walk with no bugs. I'm sure we're not the only ones who do it either.

UNCgolf

Locals aren't the only one who do Disney this way. It doesn't always have to be a sprint.

Yeah, I've been to Disney twice in the past decade. As I said, some of the attractions, including major ones, aren't good and/or interesting to me -- I'd rather wander around the World Showcase and the Animal Kingdom trails than ride stuff like Toy Story Mania and Frozen Ever After, especially if they required waiting in any kind of line.

correcaminos

I definitely have gone into parks just for food, or pictures, or whatever. There are times when riding things become tough (even climbing in and out) and sometimes I just want to walk and watch. If lines become too much, I find other things to do. Hunting for the 50th statues was our favorite in March. Not a local, but if I were, I'd treat it like the zoo we have at home.

JoeCamel

I definitely have gone into parks just for food, or pictures, or whatever. There are times when riding things become tough (even climbing in and out) and sometimes I just want to walk and watch. If lines become too much, I find other things to do. Hunting for the 50th statues was our favorite in March. Not a local, but if I were, I'd treat it like the zoo we have at home.
People watching, never gets old.

bhg469

I'm sorry, is this thread about locals humble bragging going to expensive parks to do nothing?
Wow... You're quite something.. as a matter of fact, before I was a local, I would travel to Florida for 3 weeks a year. As I came through central Florida I would try to carve out time to go to one of the parks. I would also hop between them and sometimes not even go on an attraction... But I feel like giving you a response was beneath me anyway so take that exactly how it sounded..

Last edited:

Touchdown

In the before times I have absolutely started at DHS doing rides, headed over to Epcot and only hit the festival booths (or Le Celier before a holiday party) for lunch and then continued on to MK with never riding a ride. I have also managed to watch Fantasmic, walked over to Epcot caught Candlelight and Illuminations and then monorailed in time to ride Splash and see Once Upon a Time. So again, no riding at Epcot.

And it’s not just Epcot, I’ve also gotten a breakfast reservation at Crystal Palace and then turned around, walked out of MK and opened a water park instead.

It isn’t just locals who go to a park and not ride

Last edited:

pdude81

I'm sorry, is this thread about locals humble bragging going to expensive parks to do nothing?
6khz07.jpg

MickeyLuv'r

I've done it at Epcot. We tend to hit at least 1 attraction, but have done days where we didn't, especially if it was arrival/departure day and we arrived after 9am/have to leave before 9pm.

It is easier to do during the festivals, or was. Attending a festival class or event eats a good chunk of time. In prior years, it was fun to spend a day touring all the special stuff, and much of it was free (included w/admission to Epcot). One I recall was the Sam Adams Beer show. It was free, and someone from the company gave a 30min presentation on history/how SA makes beer. A solid chunk of it was like watching an infomercial, but they gave everyone a free flight of specialty beers for attending. Another time I attended a drawing class. It wasn't completely free, but it wasn't much extra, and they gave us some nice art supplies for attending. It was a little like the free drawing class (now at AK), but longer and more in-depth. At the end the animator/artist stayed and signed autographs, except he personalized each signature with a drawing. The experience was well worth the time and nominal fee.

Years ago, the holiday lights/decor/special storytelling were worth a slow walk. Not a full day perhaps, but a solid chunk of time.

I was going to say that I don't think I have ever entered MK and done zero rides, but then I recalled a time we entered MK (just) at night for a scavenger hunt. That was back when adding day 7 to a 6-day ticket was under $10. I wouldn't do that at today's pricing.

MickeyLuv'r

I wouldn't do it now with a regular ticket.

Nor would I say no rides = doing nothing, at least not in the past. Now, I am much more inclined to agree with you.

It is sad that WDW has gone so far in this direction. I now feel like I have to make the most of every minute, or much more that way.

Like it pains me to think of paying $100 to enter Epcot, then spend time in line buying overpriced festival food. Outside of WDW, it is easy to find similar offerings for a fraction of what WDW charges, without the $100 entrance fee. at 2022 prices, I need to concentrate my time doing things that can only be done at WDW.

To me, like...if I'm already paying to be in Epcot, then the festival food ought to be free, or nearly free. Instead, the prices are pretty absurd.

So on top of charging absurd prices, WDW now wants to make it even harder to enter the park? Ugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom