Reservation expansion

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am not a DVC member but this whole experience reinforces my "get it in writing" mindset.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like the availability of discounted APs is something that was used as a selling tool for DVC but because Disney was not contractually bound to keep providing that "perk" they were able to cut it off for everyone.
DVC has always been right up front about the non-guaranteed nature of the discounted APs and other non-contractual benefits of membership. You've got to give them that.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
How much fun is it to enter a line expecting a 30 minute wait but winding up waiting an hour?
Not sure where you are going with this but obviously not too much fun. But if you are insinuating wait times happened that way bc of Fp i will respectfully disagree. Heck its been argued here Disney if anything inflates wait times not the reverse. Obviously when a ride goes down while in line nothing anyone can do about that…

CntrlFlPete

Those prices are for Parkhopper+ which includes the waterparks too. My pricing is just for parkhoppers only (no water parks)
thanks, that makes more sense. I imagine one on a long stay that wants to see the Water parks, the hopping becomes rather inexpensive -- which is sort of like the favor they did for us when they split hoppers out as it kept increases down that year and gave consumers a choice.

SteveAZee

Park hopping was included in all tickets prior to 1989 or so. I remember hearing some choice words when they started charging for it
So it was added when they opened Disney-MGM? I didn't visit much in between EPCOT opening and MGM opening... maybe once. I guess I didn't think about it much on my 1990 trip either.

hopemax

Park hopping was included in all tickets prior to 1989 or so. I remember hearing some choice words when they started charging for it
What are you people even talking about? All multi-day tickets were non-expiring, PARK HOPPERS thru 2004. The different ticket options was if you wanted the “unlimited “ which included the stuff in the “Water Parks and more.” No you couldn’t park hop on a 1-day ticket, but that was it.

Edit: Sorry, 2004. It was December 2004 when they unveiled "Magic Your Way."

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
What are you people even talking about? All multi-day tickets were non-expiring, PARK HOPPERS thru 2005. The different ticket options was if you wanted the “unlimited “ which included the stuff in the “Water Parks and more.” No you couldn’t park hop on a 1-day ticket, but that was it.
Sorry you're right. Now I'm trying to remember what the 89/90 rant was about:hilarious:

Chi84

Premium Member
What are you people even talking about? All multi-day tickets were non-expiring, PARK HOPPERS thru 2004. The different ticket options was if you wanted the “unlimited “ which included the stuff in the “Water Parks and more.” No you couldn’t park hop on a 1-day ticket, but that was it.

Edit: Sorry, 2004. It was December 2004 when they unveiled "Magic Your Way."

Thanks for clarifying. We loved the water parks so we always bought the “unlimited.”I’m sure that’s what I was remembering as being extra.

Even so, in the context of the discussion, I don’t think changes that happened 18 years ago can be lumped in with the recent monetization of resort parking and fast passes. Park hopping seemed to be much more “optional” and a lot of people didn’t feel the need for it.

DisneyfanMA

You can also take a nice break from the parks mid day, by taking that 90 minute, relaxing, jaunt back to your resort room for a nap! To then wake up and do it again to go to a new park.
Haha. Not sure if this is serious or sarcasm. I get the people with young kids who are on property that do this, but I'm glad it won't apply to us (youngest will be 6.5)...I know he'll be a zombie by close though.

mmascari

Yes. 4 days of park tickets for family of 5 with Genie + = just shy of $3,000. I want my money's worth. For everyone that's probably a different meaning. No rope drop for us, no running around from ride to ride to squeeze in the most. But also not taking 60- 90 minutes plus to walk to park exit, wait for transport, travel to another park then wait again to get into and experience a 2nd park in 1 day. And shell out another $500 for the pleasure? I'm there 9 days so speaking for me, and me only there is no compelling reason to do it.
You kind of took the same 60-90 minute or more break, you just did it first instead of in the middle. Which is fine, everyone should work their day the way they want to.

That 4 day ticket, while not the crazy price of a 1 day ticket, isn't exactly a huge discount. The substantial discount on the per day cost doesn't hit until 6 days. A 6 day ticket starting on 9/1/22 is only $53 more than a 4 day ticket starting on 9/1/22. The 6 day park hopper plus, so you can hit a water park at least once, is "only" $158 more than the 4 day single park only ticket. If you're going to go to a water park at all, there's clearly value in that combination.

Generally speaking, yes. It often depends on resort and length of stay (from what I understand: shorter stays less likely, deluxe resorts more likely). Day ticket guests without a resort stay are far less likely to purchase hoppers.
With longer stays, where the ticket discount really kicks in, the extra hopper cost feels quite low. It looks like 6 or 7 days is the sweet spot on per day reduction. With the larger drops starting at 5 and flattening at 8. I would guess that guests at deluxe resorts and those with easy park access tend to stay longer than guests at other resorts. Giving the double benefit of reducing the per day park/hop cost and making it easier to hop. Of course, Disney makes it up on the larger extra day resort cost.

PS: Yes, I'm sure I've chased a $100 discounted ticket ($25 * 4) by spending an extra $300 for the extra room night plus the extra meals that requires then. Plus the extra enjoyment too. :cool:

Disney Glimpses

The sign and the frame look weathered, but that could be a plastic cover over the sign underneath. It has language that suggests it is Covid-era (capacity restrictions on hopping and social distancing), but I do not believe I've seen or heard of this before.
Sorry, I deleted my post because I am pretty sure it is from 2020. But is it possible they are checking hopping abilities on busses again?

Disney Glimpses

Alright so apparently the signs are still in use but they are not checking on the busses as the sign states.

1658159088646.png

Purduevian

Once you’re on property, you’re at Disney World. Being outside the park gates themselves is just a technicality. The feeling of being there and experiencing it all extends far beyond the park gates.
This is an opinion. I view the boats, monorails, ferries, and busses and a means to an end... get me to the parks or get me back to my hotel. I don't mind the boat or skyliner too much, but it's definitely not the same feeling as being in the park.

Also as people have said everyone tours differently. I personally don't like park hopping because I do feel like I'm wasting my time on transportation when I could be riding a ride or seeing a show. Animal Kingdom is the only park I don't feel like I can spend open to close in.

Also people staying 6-10 days that like to have pool time on park days, I envy you. The WDW hotels and tickets are so expensive, I can't really afford to stay that long with that many days of tickets. For me if I'm in Orlando (and paying for Disney hotels and Tickets), I plan to go 12+ hours in the park that day. As soon as I am able to see and do all i can afford for that trip, I drive a few hours to a beach and enjoy a relaxing 3-5 days much cheaper. I wouldn't park hop even if it was free!

So for me, yes hopping is a waste of money because now I only get 11 hours in a park instead of 12. However if you were only going to spend 8 park hours anyway with a break in the middle, I think hopping to a new park in the evening would be very fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom