Reservation expansion

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm not wading into this argument regarding whether it's better or not, but that comparison is faulty.

The way people perceive the passage of time is relative. 60 minutes is 60 minutes, but how we perceive that time varies wildly.
But if the reason I don’t want to stand in line is because I want to see a show, have lunch or even go on more rides, what does it matter how the 60 minutes is perceived?

UNCgolf

But if the reason I don’t want to stand in line is because I want to see a show, have lunch or even go on more rides, what does it matter how the 60 minutes is perceived?

Then you don't stand in the line? As I said, I'm not joining the argument regarding standby vs. line skipping systems so my comment isn't suggesting line skipping systems should be eliminated.

I'm just pointing out that saying 60 minutes is 60 minutes isn't accurate when it comes to something like this. If the line is 60 minutes either way, a line that constantly moves is likely to be a more pleasant experience for the majority of guests. That actually matters because it affects guest satisfaction.

bhg469

Then you don't stand in the line? I'm not sure I get your point. As I said, I'm not joining that argument regarding standby vs. line skipping systems so my comment has nothing to do with it.

I'm just pointing out that saying 60 minutes is 60 minutes isn't accurate when it comes to something like this. If the line is 60 minutes either way, a line that constantly moves is likely to be a more pleasant experience for the majority of guests. That actually matters because it affects guest satisfaction.
60 minutes in the FOP queue is also a lot nicer than 60 minutes in the slinky dog queue. It's all subjective but perception is pretty important.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Then you don't stand in the line? As I said, I'm not joining the argument regarding standby vs. line skipping systems so my comment isn't suggesting line skipping systems should be eliminated.

Im just waiting for the next group of complaints that Disney "forced" them to constantly move for 60-90-120 minutes bc the stand by didnt allow them to rest at any point bc it was constantly moving ;)

Chi84

Premium Member

Got it. I thought it was ultimately all about line skipping.

Chi84

Premium Member
seems like we have moved the goal posts here again... where have i seen this happen before?
I mean, if there’s any value to arguing about whether people prefer to move constantly or stand in one place, I’ll go along with moving constantly. But I don’t want to be in that line at all - a sentiment shared by many.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Basic math would suggest that for something with an all day line, and a starting wait of 50 minutes when you direct people to a line skipping program (assuming those people end up waiting about 10 minutes in their shorter line) that you should see around a 10 minute increase in wait times for every 20% you direct that way.

I got all my data from TouringPlans, they track daily and have been since 2010. The fallicy with this argument is that you're assuming that none of the peiople in the line skipping system would have been in standby if the line skipping system wasn't in place. That isn't the case. Like I said, line skipping systems do increase standby times, but because a large portion of those line skippers would have been in line otherwise, the increase isn't all that much.

On top of everything else, I see reports on here about how Disney can't get enough front-line cast, how some of them seem stressed out and rude, etc.

Having been to Universal a few times in the last few months, I have to say that I've yet to encounter anyone working there that wasn't enthusiastic which is actually quite shocking because I remember things being very much the opposite the last time we were there years ago.

I was at Disney in June. Without exception, every single Disney cast member I met was friendly, helpful, and went out of their way to make my experience better. I did not once encounter a rude or seemingly stressed out Disney cast member.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I mean, if there’s any value to arguing about whether people prefer to move constantly or stand in one place, I’ll go along with moving constantly. But I don’t want to be in that line at all - a sentiment shared by many.
listen i get that logic and understand it but im either too smart or too dumb to convince myself that 60 minutes in line is anything other than 60 minutes.... but i agree under No circumstance do i want to be in any long line at all

correcaminos

It does kind of invalidate your views on G+, you are on another tier and getting G++. You can book any ride at anytime provided you don’t have another ride currently booked on your DAS.

Note: this is not a judgement, not saying what you are doing isn’t deserved or justified, just making the point that you really can’t review G+ objectively.
If you buy G+ it doesn't IMO. You can use both and have opinions on both.

MrPromey

I got all my data from TouringPlans, they track daily and have been since 2010. The fallicy with this argument is that you're assuming that none of the peiople in the line skipping system would have been in standby if the line skipping system wasn't in place. That isn't the case. Like I said, line skipping systems do increase standby times, but because a large portion of those line skippers would have been in line otherwise, the increase isn't all that much.

Okay, well the fallacy with your argument is assuming you know how I got to those numbers when you clearly don't since I didn't show my work.

(Because I can't factor for real-world behavior, I had to assume the exact same number of total people in either scenario.)

You're inventing things to argue against.

We're clearly not going to change each other's minds.

I'm tired of butting heads.

I'm done.

correcaminos

ONLY if you don’t use your DAS that Then you would really know what it is like.

All line skipping schemes at WDW are awesome with DAS, as they are icing on the already very awesome DAS cake.
No and no. You can have an opinion of G+ if you try to use it. Full stop. Quit minimizing experiences.
And all awesome? Not really. Solo trips I don't preschedule DAS and may not even use it at all. G+ was utterly useless to me even at MK the day I tried to use it. Due to my issues stacking later in the day isn't a possibility. In November I wound up frustrated with both. DAS was hosed and not icing. With no prescheduled rides I was just trying to get Genie+ to work. It didn't work for my needs so I left MK. I just got tired of MDE and left. While DAS is nicer it still has faults. It has glitches and really I'd rather not have to use it, but it is what it is. After some miserable options for G+ I gave up and just fork out for a VIP tour. Gets me done before my body craps out (usually around 2pm) and I don't have to fight G+

So please enough with the DAS holders not being allowed a voice or opinion. If we try both we can tell you what works. I can tell you I spent more time at those darn blue tents fixing MDE in November and just bagged it all that day. Out of MK by 10:30 and of course couldn't go to another park until 2. Fun day.... and soured me 100% on G+ not worth my headaches or stuck waiting in line to fix issues with things not saving right. Don't even get me started on MDE as a whole that trip. On hold with IT at the front desk even since it kept crapping out and they didn't know why. Utterly frustrating when technology doesn't work as it should. Cannot tell you how many screen shots we sent. Magically the next day was fixed. But made me swear off of G+

DisneyfanMA

This sounds absolutely miserable, no offense 😂

Imagine being at Magic Kingdom from open to close 🤢
No offense taken but I don't really get where you're coming from either.

Why would I waste hundreds of dollars and hours transferring between parks? Going to 4 Disney parks and 1 Universal park in a 9 day visit (2 travel days and 2 pool days) and wouldn't think twice about wasting time and money jumping around. To each his own I guess.

And just for more context I'm clearly not a local or a Disney regular. We'll go once, probably twice for a solid 7 days plus with my kids but otherwise travel elsewhere. Like I said for me, the 1 day visit made sense to hop, or if I were a local or frequent visitor I can see the value or attraction in hopping.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
No offense taken but I don't really get where you're coming from either.

Why would I waste hundreds of dollars and hours transferring between parks? Going to 4 Disney parks and 1 Universal park in a 9 day visit (2 travel days and 2 pool days) and wouldn't think twice about wasting time and money jumping around. To each his own I guess.

And just for more context I'm clearly not a local or a Disney regular. We'll go once, probably twice for a solid 7 days plus with my kids but otherwise travel elsewhere. Like I said for me, the 1 day visit made sense to hop, or if I were a local or frequent visitor I can see the value or attraction in hopping.
I think it's because people are different and enjoy vacationing in different ways. We often spend the morning at a water park and don't even get to a theme park until the afternoon. Sometimes we'll go to one park, take a mid-day break at the hotel, then go to another park or Disney Springs for the evening. It's not "wasting money" to us because we would rather do that then spend all day at one park going on ride after ride. Wasting money would be doing something we don't enjoy. I fully understand people who want to make every minute count at one park in one day, but it wouldn't be enjoyable for us.

DisneyfanMA

I'd like to know the % of attendees in a park on a given day who are hoppers for partial visit vs spending all day there. And of those who are hoppers what % are local/very frequent visitors or there for only a day or two total vs a week or more. Staying on property vs off probably also makes a difference. I'm sure Disney themselves has some of those metrics.

I'd also point out as an all day park goer, I won't be there for "rope drop" and I won't be rushing around to cram in only rides all day. There's parades, shows, fireworks, characters to see, sights and sounds to take in, a nice sit down meal at a themed restaurant, some shopping, snacks/light meal etc. You can make a leisurely visit without running ragged to get in 3 or 4 extra rides running criss cross across the park for 12 hours.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I think it's because people are different and enjoy vacationing in different ways. We often spend the morning at a water park and don't even get to a theme park until the afternoon. Sometimes we'll go to one park, take a mid-day break at the hotel, then go to another park or Disney Springs for the evening. It's not "wasting money" to us because we would rather do that then spend all day at one park going on ride after ride. Wasting money would be doing something we don't enjoy. I fully understand people who want to make every minute count at one park in one day, but it wouldn't be enjoyable for us.
That plan makes sense. At Universal my family will go to one park on the morning and hop over to the other for the afternoon.

The plan I hear people do that makes no sense to me is either walking through Epcot not riding anything grabbing food and hopping to DHS. Or going to MK for the morning hopping, hopping to Epcot for lunch and leaving. It doesn't seem worth it to hop to a park to eat and leave. I feel it's a huge waste of time.

nickys

Premium Member
That plan makes sense. At Universal my family will go to one park on the morning and hop over to the other for the afternoon.

The plan I hear people do that makes no sense to me is either walking through Epcot not riding anything grabbing food and hopping to DHS. Or going to MK for the morning hopping, hopping to Epcot for lunch and leaving. It doesn't seem worth it to hop to a park to eat and leave. I feel it's a huge waste of time.
Cutting through Epcot to the monorail was something we did a lot when staying at the Beach Club.

And also hopping into Epcot in the evening for something to eat, be it dinner, fish & chips or something from a QS.

And when we stay at Bay Lake, we will sometimes go back to the villa late afternoon, have dinner there and then head over to MK an hour or so before fireworks. Sometimes even after the fireworks when there were EMH. Might still do that this upcoming trip for extended evening hours.

Or again, hopping into MK for dinner when staying at Bay Lake.

If you are staying within an easy walk / ride away from a park then hopping in &/or out of the park is one of the benefits of the location.

dreday3

It's not a waste of time if you are staying at Epcot resorts.
It's not a waste of time if that's what the person wants to do.

We stay 9 nights, hop practically every day. MK morning, DHS night, Epcot morning, AK late afternoon/evening, any park day, Epcot night.
Sleep in, grab lunch in Epcot, hop to MK for few hours, come back to hotel, grab dinner at Epcot or go to DHS until close.
This trip we plan to go to DS, take boat to POR and tour it, grab bus to POR to Epcot to go back to BC. Then who knows where we will go at night!

Wouldn't do it any other way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom