Reservation expansion

Honestly I am tired of people justifying what Disney does. When we had limitations at our local areas during pandemic, guess who got first dibs? The ones who regularly feed them money. Saying that no one else where I live runs at capacity is a fallacy. I live in places with major amusement parks that have indeed hit capacity at points. I won't give them a pass on this.

Given I don't use my magic band for everything - in fact I go without them now, I'm not sure your hypothesis is correct. I know they have profiles. I also know that ****ing off guests is not the way to go. They really are on the verge of people not renewing and selling off DVC because of their antics.

For me it isn't about money as much to buy things, but how they treat people. I'll keep doing APs because it allows me to go on a whim whether or not financially it is the best option for all in the family. However, making use of those APs now is a heck of a lot less fun than it was 5 years ago.
They aren’t close…they are already there. Even their premium offerings are seeing cancellations. Relatives are Club 33 and they are seeing members quit bc they have hit the five yr mark and decided it was no longer worth it. People selling DVC is a good thing for Disney as it means new customer acquisition. DVC resale numbers were at an eye opening level at price per point when I last looked. Unfortunately folks still have the mindset that Disney is a family corporation that should value guest experience and retainment over shareholder return. Sadly that is no longer the case.

Jrb1979

Honestly I am tired of people justifying what Disney does. When we had limitations at our local areas during pandemic, guess who got first dibs? The ones who regularly feed them money. Saying that no one else where I live runs at capacity is a fallacy. I live in places with major amusement parks that have indeed hit capacity at points. I won't give them a pass on this.

Given I don't use my magic band for everything - in fact I go without them now, I'm not sure your hypothesis is correct. I know they have profiles. I also know that ****ing off guests is not the way to go. They really are on the verge of people not renewing and selling off DVC because of their antics.

For me it isn't about money as much to buy things, but how they treat people. I'll keep doing APs because it allows me to go on a whim whether or not financially it is the best option for all in the family. However, making use of those APs now is a heck of a lot less fun than it was 5 years ago.
IMO your last paragraph is part of the problem right now. So many complaints and hatred towards how they are treating you but you keep going. It's no wonder they get away with what they are doing.

correcaminos

They aren’t close…they are already there. Even their premium offerings are seeing cancellations. Relatives are Club 33 and they are seeing members quit bc they have hit the five yr mark and decided it was no longer worth it. People selling DVC is a good thing for Disney as it means new customer acquisition. DVC resale numbers were at an eye opening level at price per point when I last looked. Unfortunately folks still have the mindset that Disney is a family corporation that should value guest experience and retainment over shareholder return. Sadly that is no longer the case.
I'm not sure they are entirely there. We had issues booking VIP tours tbh. Owning DVC past 10 years is not the norm and hasn't been for many for quite some time. I'm one of the odd ones with 18 years. I just added on recently and while numbers of resales were up after I closed, the costs were not down. They will get there soon though.

correcaminos

IMO your last paragraph is part of the problem right now. So many complaints and hatred towards how they are treating you but you keep going. It's no wonder they get away with what they are doing.
I will stop going when I am tired of it. Blaming people who still go isn't the right answer either. I let them know when they are doing good and bad. There is still a ton of good and our last trip was fantastic. So it's not all bad... but they are going down a road where I will tire of it if they keep this up.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I will stop going when I am tired of it. Blaming people who still go isn't the right answer either. I let them know when they are doing good and bad. There is still a ton of good and our last trip was fantastic. So it's not all bad... but they are going down a road where I will tire of it if they keep this up.
yes it still gave me those feels and my daughter still enjoys it.... once that ends so does my trips to disney

I would guess that no one else does that (degrading of regulars) because the other places aren't running at capacity most of the year. Disney doesn't need more traffic, so what they're left with is shaping that traffic to deliver the biggest return.

I'm speculating a lot on what they're doing any why, so this is just a hypothesis... which seems to fit what they're doing. I would guess allowing people to charge everything to their magic bands and have all that account information per person, they have a pretty good idea of the ideal guest profile and will work to keep them spending money, and to freely alienate those who aren't as... ideal.

Again, I think they're mostly focused on maximizing $/warm body in the parks, their highly constrained resource.
This exactly. Disney wants everything funneled through a magic band so that their data on spending drives futures decision making. The amount of data that they had for my relatives who joined 33 was eye opening. They were trying to to list all of their Disney expenditures and they looked at them and said no need we have it in your file.

correcaminos

yes it still gave me those feels and my daughter still enjoys it.... once that ends so does my trips to disney
For me it is once the negatives outweigh the good feelings. There are times when it is close but other times when the negatives are far back in my brain. I am willing to give time and grace in many situations, and will even try a time or two with new before making final judgment. They have fixed some of the issues I did have (Epcot opening at 11 was horrific for example). So it's a balance game.

Or a VIP tour. We got 3 parks in by 10 am.

bingo

No they are not sunk costs. They keep resorts afloat whether the members use the points or not. If it were a sunk cost they wouldn't bother adding more DVC.
Your dues are not but your purchase was. They have no need to offer you perks as you have already paid. New customer acquisition is the sole focus now. I have three contracts as well, but we won’t be buying any more. We will invest in a condo or house before we buy anymore DVC.

I'm not sure they are entirely there. We had issues booking VIP tours tbh. Owning DVC past 10 years is not the norm and hasn't been for many for quite some time. I'm one of the odd ones with 18 years. I just added on recently and while numbers of resales were up after I closed, the costs were not down. They will get there soon though.
Many people quit club 33 due to VIP availability and undelivered promises. We added three dirt cheap Vero contracts in 2020 to use at the six month mark.

correcaminos

Your dues are not but your purchase was. They have no need to offer you perks as you have already paid. New customer acquisition is the sole focus now. I have three contracts as well, but we won’t be buying any more. We will invest in a condo or house before we buy anymore DVC.
The offer perks to get one to spend outlandish amounts of money for add ons or initial purchases. However I actually didn't mention offering perks to DVC as a part of this, but I get your point. They will stupidly likely get my money in 2024 for more Polynesian points depending on how that all goes.

SteveAZee

I'm not sure I'm justifying it... I think it's bad form to alienate guests, especially long term. I'm trying to understand what they're doing, though.

I'd say that Disney has managed to spread the load across the calendar. As many people point out, there's not really a low season anymore as far as attendance goes.

I would guess that even though you and others may not do things with your magic bands to even maintain an MDE account (is that even possible nowadays?) there is probably enough data, statistically, from those who do for them to want to use that data to maximize profits.

I agree wholeheartedly with your views and sentiments, by the way. My favorite Disney Decade was the 1990's... mostly the best of everything. It was less before and has been less since, though I was a fan of FP+.

I guess, to me, understanding what they're doing and why is the first step in trying to figure out a way to change it or circumvent it... or just realize that Disney's no longer a place I want to be.

correcaminos

Many people quit club 33 due to VIP availability and undelivered promises. We added three dirt cheap Vero contracts in 2020 to use at the six month mark.
I haven't paid attention to who has been leaving Club 33 tbh. I wouldn't be surprised. The VIP tour availability has been horrible though. I know they are bringing people back, but we got shut out in March. Yes spring break, shorter trip etc but dang that was crazy.

correcaminos

I'm not sure I'm justifying it... I think it's bad form to alienate guests, especially long term. I'm trying to understand what they're doing, though.

I'd say that Disney has managed to spread the load across the calendar. As many people point out, there's not really a low season anymore as far as attendance goes.

I would guess that even though you and others may not do things with your magic bands to even maintain an MDE account (is that even possible nowadays?) there is probably enough data, statistically, from those who do for them to want to use that data to maximize profits.

I agree wholeheartedly with your views and sentiments, by the way. My favorite Disney Decade was the 1990's... mostly the best of everything. It was less before and has been less since, though I was a fan of FP+.

I guess, to me, understanding what they're doing and why is the first step in trying to figure out a way to change it or circumvent it... or just realize that Disney's no longer a place I want to be.
Sorry I misread your intent then. I do actually think the early 2000s were pretty good as well. And I know Disney has my data. I'm in IT, so I know everyone does LOL. I wasn't a fan of FP+ at all but we are not planners too much. I started disliking when the whole pre-plan vacations and dining plan made it hard to get good lunches.

I understand what you are saying though. I just think Disney is using some things as excuses and crutches even though I don't like it. Sometimes I think I should've said how much I dislike park reservations when I met Josh D'Amaro last month. Probably would've fallen on deaf ears. But we were having a great day in MK so probably affected my mood ;)

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Lol we actually bought resale DVC to hedge our bet of the WDW experience. Bought enough points to comfortably use every other year.

If parks are going well we can transfer in points to make yearly trips. If cash offers like free food seem better, we can still take advantage on off years, or bank our points, or rent out, etc. If costs outpace value, we can adjust our usage to under $200/night BWV rooms to help keep our budget commensurate with experience. If UO starts looking more attractive for a few years, we rent out our points and apply to OU budget.

We know we love WDW. But some of our confidence is gone. It’s become more common for us to regret spending at WDW. That never used to happen whether it was merch, hard tickets, a meal, or whatever. One reasons I was happy seeing FP go was they gave them out like candy to appease disgruntled guests. I don’t like that direction they went. Felt like they’d see what they could get away with cost/value wise and those who it negatively affected need to complain when unsatisfied? I’d rather be more thoughtful where my WDW money goes and not show up on the GS line. So we bought DVC 😆

matt9112

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but I get the impression that Disney's trying to maximize their profits from a finite resource, measured mostly by $ returned for every warm body in their parks (the finite resource of so many bodies in the park per day). I assume people don't by APs unless it's cost effective compared to multi-day passes, so 15, 20, 30 days of visits to the parks in a year? More? Perhaps they're local and don't stay in the hotels and eat the Disney food. Compare that to a family that goes once every one or two years... stays in the bubble, tries the new eateries, buys souvenirs of the latest IP, buys a 6 day pass plus G+ for each member of the family. I'm assuming that for a given warm body slot in the park on a given day, Disney makes more money from the non-AP people than AP people.

Maybe for out of state platinum passes….I think a lot of locals myself included did the payment plan. It’s legitimately less than a phone bill…. Your right AP holders are probably less profitable from a SPG perspective. But that’s a given…..if that’s how disney feels they should not offer the AP program and shouldn’t have offered it ever. The spending habit’s of AP holders can’t possibly radically changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom