Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedati

Coworkers of mine went to Shanghai this spring and had the opportunity to go to Disneyland Shanghai on a day off. To them, the Tron coaster was the best roller coaster they've ever been on. I've been a fan of it since I first heard about it at the China pavilion in Epcot and definitely feel that paired with a redesign of Tomorrowland, it would be a great addition.
I also have a co-worker who went to Shanghai and Tron was his favorite- even better than Pirates he said which really surprised me.

radiohost

Yes it is a cult following. Made $172 million on a $170 million budget domestically. Did much better overseas. Only 51% approval on rotten tomatoes.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It would be a one minute ride?

About 1:20 if a direct Shanghai clone. You then have to factor in that absolutely NOTHING that comes to WDW is a 100% clone and everything is value-engineered. If I had to guess I'd say yes about one minute, maybe less. aprox taken from watching Youtube videos. People have already noted the large footprint of the Shanghai building and if it will "fit" the same footage in Tomorrowland...

disneygeek90

We rode the speedway the other day and I thought why not just update it to be "Cars" themed without losing the ability for kids of all ages be able to drive?
Concept wouldn't work. In the land of "Cars", they are their own entity. People don't drive them. That's why RSR is so great. They drive and control themselves and we are the passenger in their town.

Tony the Tigger

Not going to repeat what I said earlier in this thread.

Many of you don't realize MK is a place where families can come and have fun, together.

My two year old drove the car with me as a passenger. We had fun together. Replace this with a tron coaster and that doesn't happen until he's tall enough. And that is if he even likes roller coasters.

I understand this POV.

Driving a car is a big deal for a kid. That said, I think that kind of ride is fairly common at run of the mill local theme parks, carnivals, etc. (Then again, so is Dumbo/Aladdin.)

Not knowing the space situation, I'd have preferred redesigning the Speedway with either a Cars theme or something similar (and clean, battery powered vehicles) so the kids can still "drive," and then also adding this Tron ride somewhere else in the same land. It fits Tomorrowland too perfectly (the tomorrow that was imagined but never happened.)

sunsetblvd26

I definitely have mixed feelings on this. While on the one hand, I personally think a tron coaster would be an improvement over the speedway, it doesn't fix one of the biggest problems with the speedway. MK is not a big park, and the speedway takes up a lot of real estate that could be used for multiple attractions and help with capacity. The coaster would be nice, but still requires a very large plot of land and therefore doesn't really solve any of the park's capacity issues.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It would be a one minute ride?

Lightcycle is essentially 60 seconds from the moment the train launches until the moment the train's speed is fully reduced by the brakes. By comparison, Rockin' Rollercoaster is about 70 seconds when comparing the same launch to brake time... though RNRC has a MCBR which slows the train pretty considerably which would add to the "ride time". Both coasters have that "pre-launch" build up between when the train leaves the station and when the launches that adds slightly to the ride experience time, however, similar to RNRC, this time is minimal and does not include any substantial time or dark ride elements.

Last edited:

cjkeating

If they do build the Tron coaster, let's hope they do a better job of hiding the show building

It's visible from multiple angles

latest

The potential for sightline issues with this ride worry me a lot. I don't understand how the view shown in the picture was EVER allowed.

disneygeek90

It was more of a hyperbole. However, it is my opinion. I am okay with roller coasters. Disney has been pushing Thrill rides for a while now. I am a fan of Disney dark rides. Also, I know the Speedway takes up a lot of space. Magic Kingdom has congestion issues. Why not add multiple dark or flat rides?
I wouldn't mind several rides in that space. I actually may prefer it. But I welcome any change from the Speedway.

Timothy_Q

The potential for sightline issues with this ride worry me a lot. I don't understand how the view shown in the picture was EVER allowed.

As beautiful as Shanghai Disneyland is, there seems to be plenty of unthemed backsides, and problematic sightlines.

I don't really understand the reason. Sometimes they take into account tree growth, but that's definitely not the case with Tron

Tony the Tigger

Not knowing the space situation, I'd have preferred redesigning the Speedway with either a Cars theme or something similar (and clean, battery powered vehicles) so the kids can still "drive," and then also adding this Tron ride somewhere else in the same land. It fits Tomorrowland too perfectly (the tomorrow that was imagined but never happened.)

quoting myself and adding: OR - do the Tron thing as suggested, and put a smaller kid-driving track elsewhere.

I definitely have mixed feelings on this. While on the one hand, I personally think a tron coaster would be an improvement over the speedway, it doesn't fix one of the biggest problems with the speedway. MK is not a big park, and the speedway takes up a lot of real estate that could be used for multiple attractions and help with capacity. The coaster would be nice, but still requires a very large plot of land and therefore doesn't really solve any of the park's capacity issues.

Lightcycle is essentially 60 seconds from the moment the train launches until the moment the train's speed is fully reduced by the brakes. By comparison, Rockin' Rollercoaster is about 70 seconds when comparing the same launch to brake time... though RNRC has a MCBR which slows the train pretty considerably which would add to the "ride time"

So if Lightcycle is about a minute, and the current Speedway is over 4 minutes, that will likely churn out a lot more people unless the ride capacity is significantly smaller.

cjkeating

As beautiful as Shanghai Disneyland is, there seems to be plenty of unthemed backsides, and problematic sightlines.

I don't really understand the reason. Sometimes they take into account tree growth, but that's definitely not the case with Tron

Totally. I understand all parks have issues either on day one where foliage needs to be given some time to grow in but no trees are ever going to cover that up... I think the Tron shed is also very visible from what will be Toy Store Playland if my memory serves me correctly.

I've just checked on Google Maps and a lower building has a Tron roof attached to it (the whiter roof that looks further away in the photo) so they could have done the same to the blue shed that is still visible but for whatever reason chose not to.

Incomudro

I don't understand the problem?
It's not as though the building is say Flight of Passage, or Battle Front, where the ride is supposed to be hidden by natural formations.
Or Potter, where we ware supposed to be in some far off land of castles and dragons.
I don't get how seeing the Tron building ruins anything.

Otterhead

Fingers crossed. Still hoping it ends up coming to WDW, whether it's replacing something or not. I'd love to ride the TRON coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom