Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullSailDan

While that idea is always great in theory. I still think MK is under capacity and additions at the other parks are not gonna do enough to draw people away. It is just sad that as big as that park is that it doesn't have as many attractions as it should.

Another way to think about it though is throughput. Currently the speedway operates pretty slowly. The line is never really that long, but the wait time can be as high as 40 minutes when the queue isn't even half full. If they can put in a ride (or 2!) in that space that gobbles people up more quickly, it's a win.

huwar18

They aren't truly six flags until they announce a Fireball coaster for a year's big addition.
2560px-El_Diablo_Roller_Coaster.jpg
You mean Disney's Tron Identity Disc Experience lol.

MCast

With respect, there's plenty of attractions in the Magic Kingdom that are geared toward smaller children. I would argue there's more attractions for that demographic than teens/adults.

The Tron Coaster is fine by me (not that TWDWC is looking for my blessing)

Rowlet

Coworkers of mine went to Shanghai this spring and had the opportunity to go to Disneyland Shanghai on a day off. To them, the Tron coaster was the best roller coaster they've ever been on. I've been a fan of it since I first heard about it at the China pavilion in Epcot and definitely feel that paired with a redesign of Tomorrowland, it would be a great addition.

disneygeek90

Not going to repeat what I said earlier in this thread.

Many of you don't realize MK is a place where families can come and have fun, together.

My two year old drove the car with me as a passenger. We had fun together. Replace this with a tron coaster and that doesn't happen until he's tall enough. And that is if he even likes roller coasters.
While I understand, there are still plenty of options for kids. Nearly every ride besides the larger mountains, really. The Speedway takes up so much space, is incredibly loud, and just overall not pleasant to walk by. There are still a ton of rides families can ride together.

disneygeek90

I completely agree! My son is a year old. However, they are slowly turning Magic Kingdom into a Six Flags. We don't need roller coasters. The idea of the parks was to have a place for families.
There is exactly 1 roller coaster that I would consider "intense" out of all the parks. Exactly 1 with any sort of over the head constraint. MK, and WDW in general, is not turning into Six Flags.

Grumpy4196

I realize I am in the minority here but I am not a fan of this. My grandkids love being able to actually drive the cars as opposed to just riding around. There are other places Tron could go and fit thematically without the Speedway being replaced. Just my opinion.

glendroid

I've been on TRON in Shanghai about 7 times... When I first saw the POVs from park opening I was pretty underwhelmed due to length of the ride. However after riding this.. It's a truly fantastic modern day Disney coaster.

The launch I around 60 mph however compared to RnRC, the launch is smoother and less lurch inducing. Turns and movement are very smooth with the ride not really having any drops. I would say the track is pretty comparable to Space Mountain in Disneyland in terms of smoothness. What gives an otherwise tame coaster some excitement is the bike setup for seating. After riding it multiple times, I see why they chose the length they did as any longer and I could see the seating position being slightly uncomfortable as you are leaned forward like a speed bike vs the more upright of FoP in AK. The last cart in some vehicles does have a normal sit down option for those with mobility issues. I requested this cart twice to try it and the ride was still very fun.

In terms of atmosphere and queue.. It's incredible. It's so rare to step in to a line up that amps you up for whats coming. Most queues entertain or encourage me to take in my surroundings.. Tron with the lights, special video window, launching coaster and that amazing Daft Punk score just had me blown away in excitement. It's a feeling that's hard to convey.. but its something else.

As for my feelings about it being in MK... I'll have to see their implementation. It's a very large building so I'll reserve judgement. Thrill wise, It would for sure be the most intense attraction in MK. However it's not nearly as intense as RnRC is for comparison. It's way smoother and less jerky than BTMR and as I mentioned very similar in feel to Space Mountain in Disneyland but just add a launch.

I documented a bunch of TRON in a travel VLOG. So feel free to check it out. day time TRON/Tomorrowland starts at 48 seconds and I took a small on ride clip from the modified rider vehicle. Also includes Queue and area stuff. Make sure to watch the amazing window effect at 1:21 (You also can see the launch and how smooth it is)!
More Tron but at night time from 2:35 on wards as well!

Last edited:

mikenatcity1

I completely agree! My son is a year old. However, they are slowly turning Magic Kingdom into a Six Flags. We don't need roller coasters. The idea of the parks was to have a place for families.

Slowly? The only one added that could be considered was the Mine Train and that was 4(?) years ago. Before that was Big Thunder and before was Space...It doesn't feel like they are changing MK into a coaster park. I think adding the Tron attraction may get some of the older crowd to stay at MK- I hear the opposite from my older friends that MK is geared too much to the smaller/younger kids and they want something fun (not thrill ride like Everest, but something more than The Little Mermaid or Belle's).

huwar18

There is exactly 1 roller coaster that I would consider "intense" out of all the parks. Exactly 1 with any sort of over the head constraint. MK, and WDW in general, is not turning into Six Flags.

It was more of a hyperbole. However, it is my opinion. I am okay with roller coasters. Disney has been pushing Thrill rides for a while now. I am a fan of Disney dark rides. Also, I know the Speedway takes up a lot of space. Magic Kingdom has congestion issues. Why not add multiple dark or flat rides?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
View attachment 214754 I'm on the side of adding not replacing an attraction. I'm also excited for the TRON lightcycle if this turns out to be true. Just please Disney, add don't replace.
Wow, didn't realize the show building/track was so huge. How could they fit this on the speedway plot? Seems like they would almost have to use some of the expansion pad no?

culturenthrills

Another way to think about it though is throughput. Currently the speedway operates pretty slowly. The line is never really that long, but the wait time can be as high as 40 minutes when the queue isn't even half full. If they can put in a ride (or 2!) in that space that gobbles people up more quickly, it's a win.

Now if we get Tron and maybe another smaller attraction in that space too, that would be awesome. But yes Tron would be better than the Speedway and probablly add a little bit more capacity to the park.

huwar18

Slowly? The only one added that could be considered was the Mine Train and that was 4(?) years ago. Before that was Big Thunder and before was Space...It doesn't feel like they are changing MK into a coaster park. I think adding the Tron attraction may get some of the older crowd to stay at MK- I hear the opposite from my older friends that MK is geared too much to the smaller/younger kids and they want something fun (not thrill ride like Everest, but something more than The Little Mermaid or Belle's).

Those are the rides I am talking about. Honestly, I could careless about the Speedway. I want more rides like The Little Mermaid. Those are still family rides. I want true dark rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom