Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWFREAK53

Hearing confirmation (nothing official of course). Doesn't make sense now, does it? Wouldn't it make sense for D23?

I'd have to imagine that it would make sense for D23 but not this year. Don't they have enough to talk about with the ongoing construction to talk about something that may not begin construction for a few years? Construction of "officially announced" projects have extended well into 2019 so why officially announce another major project? At most I could see them officially announcing Ratatouille. Hopefully I'm wrong!!!

Haymarket2008

What is a roller coaster better suited to Tomorrowland that is also a new build? Guardians. SO happy to hear how responsible they are with NOT building it in the place it should be going...................

flyerjab

If they go with something that large and with such obvious theme and aesthetic, wouldn't that force a MAJOR change to the overall appearance of Tomorrowland? It would look weird for TL to look the way it does and then have the Tron coaster plopped down within its borders.

JEANYLASER

CONFIRMED: TRON Lightcycle Power Run Rollercoaster to Replace Tomorrowland Speedway at the Magic Kingdom
In October of 2016, we told you that Walt Disney World was eyeing the addition of the popular TRON Lightcycle Power Run attraction from Shanghai Disneyland, and in April 2017 we updated our rumor when preliminary budgeting teams from Florida were sent out to Shanghai to take a look at the attraction. Well, with the D23 Expo just days away, it now seems certain that the attraction will be announced on Saturday, July 15th.TRON Lightcycle Power Run will open at the Magic Kingdom just before the park’s 50th birthday (probably 2020/21), replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway attraction which opened in 1971 as the Grand Prix Raceway. The Speedway will likely close sometime in 2018 to make way for this construction.
Source: Walt Disney World News Today!

Notes from Neverland

As a fan of the Tron movies, I'm excited to hear it may get a presence in a park. Personally, I could see Tron fitting in either in Epcot or Tomorrowland, so I'm impartial as to where it goes.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
CONFIRMED: TRON Lightcycle Power Run Rollercoaster to Replace Tomorrowland Speedway at the Magic Kingdom
In October of 2016, we told you that Walt Disney World was eyeing the addition of the popular TRON Lightcycle Power Run attraction from Shanghai Disneyland, and in April 2017 we updated our rumor when preliminary budgeting teams from Florida were sent out to Shanghai to take a look at the attraction. Well, with the D23 Expo just days away, it now seems certain that the attraction will be announced on Saturday, July 15th.TRON Lightcycle Power Run will open at the Magic Kingdom just before the park’s 50th birthday (probably 2020/21), replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway attraction which opened in 1971 as the Grand Prix Raceway. The Speedway will likely close sometime in 2018 to make way for this construction.
Source: Walt Disney World News Today!

Sigh. Don't get me wrong though. TRON is Cool. But I still think the Power Run coaster was a poor choice for Tomorrowland. Would have preferred a darkride or some variant of a D-ticket and TRON Stage Show. With all that footage it seems they'll just be replacing one ride for another. Not the greatest of ideas for a park that's in serious need of MORE attractions. And to place a coaster next to the land's iconic "weenie" coaster... well that's just stupid for a few reasons. TRON is a good IP to work with but we could and IMO should have gotten something else or somethings else.

:will wait for an official confirmation before crying foul:

Last edited:

NeXuS1000

This sounds like a great addition/replacement. Yes, I'm also a bit surprised by having a coaster side-by-side, and you could argue that a coaster is not at the top of the list of desired MK additions, but in the end, it means they'll finally remove the terribly ancient and outdated speedway ride and replace it with a ride that's very unique and cool-looking (first bike-coaster in Orlando, right?) and, while using an IP, a ride that fits the theme and doesn't feel shoved down our throats.

So... sounds good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom