Replacement Band for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

captainkidd

Doesn't mean anything.....people's first thought of a groups song doesn't mean it's held up. Wanted has held up but their live version os better because it's arranged differently. That studio album is lame...."you give love..." and "living..." sounds cheesy nowadays. They re-arange them because they even know it hasn't help up well.....

Oh man....

I say this as a die hard Bon Jovi fan. Their live version of Wanted is nowhere NEAR as good as it was in the late 80's, early 90's. The reason the songs you mentioned are rearranged differently nowadays is because Jon's voice has changed and he can't hit the same notes he once did. I mean, come on:

From 1990:

From 2008:

From 1989:

From 2008:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The irony is, the people that claim Bon Jovi fans are stuck in the past are the ones that are actually stuck in the past.

I find it amusing when people make remarks like "Bon Jovi is still around?" It's like "Hey man, you're the one who's out of the loop, not me."

I feel Bruce Springsteen fans are pretty much the same as you are describing Bon Jovi fans... willing to pay to relive those past times but not really relevant music wise today. Bruce still demands top crazy dollar for concerts.. still tours a ton.. and has die hard fans. But being able to stretch your professional playing career out for decades doesn't make you influencial.

Heck, Styx is still touring.. as are most of the Arena Rock bands of the 80s.. but they are still only what they were in the 80s :)

At least a band like Aerosmith successfully reintroduced themselves to multiple generations in both the 80s and 90s after breaking out in the 70s. Bon Jovi is living on his past.. not the present... just like Bruce (IMO).

I saw Bruce about 4 years ago... what a yawner. Thank god I didn't pay for it.. and we were in a fully catered suite which made the 3 hours much more enjoyable.

captainkidd

At least a band like Aerosmith successfully reintroduced themselves to multiple generations in both the 80s and 90s after breaking out in the 70s. Bon Jovi is living on his past.. not the present... just like Bruce (IMO).

Sorry, and really, this isn't meant as an insult, but that one sentence right there shows that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. If there's one thing Bon Jovi has become known for it's having fans that stretch across generations.

As for "living on his past" (first, it would be "their", not "his". Bon Jovi is a band.)

1984 - First album released. First top 40 single.
1985 - Second album released. Sold better than first album, but no top 40 singles.
1986 - Third album released. Three top 10 singles, including two #1's. Album goes to #1 on Billboard. Biggest selling album of 1987.
1988 - Fourth album released. Five top 10 singles, including two #1's. Album goes to #1 on Billboard.
1990 - Jon releases 1st solo record. Two top 10 singles, including #1 Blaze of Glory which also wins American Music Award and Golden Globe for best song from a movie.
1992 - Fifth album released. Three top 40 singles, including two top 10's.
1994 - Best Of album released. New single, Always, charts in the top 10 and stays there for 6 months, becoming their most successful single ever - 10 years after their 1st record.
1995 - Sixth album released. Top 20 single This Ain't A Love Song.
1997 - Jon releases 2nd solo album. Top 40 single Midnight in Chelsea.
2000 - Seventh album released. Two top 40 singles including It's My Life, which replaces Always as their biggest selling single ever (seeing a pattern yet?) Album is worldwide biggest seller of 2000.
2002 - Eighth album released. Two top 40 singles. Album goes to #2 on Billboard.
2005 - Ninth album released. Two top 40 singles, including Who Says You Can't Go Home, which becomes the first song by a rock group to hit #1 on the country charts. Also wins Grammy award. Album goes to #2 on Billboard.
2007 - Tenth album released. Top 20 single, You Want To Make A Memory. Album goes to #1 on Billboard, 19 years after New Jersey hit #1.
2009 - Eleventh album released. Top 40 single, We Weren't Born To Follow. Album goes to #1 on Billboard.
2010 - 2 disc Greatest Hits Album is released. Worldwide album sales top 135 million.
2013 - Twelfth album, What About Now, to be released in March.

If you insist, I'll be more than happy to post the sales numbers for each individual album. And while their 3rd album is still their biggest seller, at the end of the 80's they had sold 25 million albums. By the end of the 90's, they had sold 65 million albums. By the end of the 2000's, they had sold 130 million albums. Do the math.

Edit: I'm not a huge fan of Bruce's either, but you're wrong about him too.

captainkidd

BTW, sorry to be boring people with this stuff, but a huge pet peeve of mine is when people talk about something like it's a fact, when they clearly don't know what they're talking about. It'd be like me coming on here and talking about politics. I'm not bragging, but music and movie history, especially by the numbers, is a HUGE hobby of mine. And while there's no doubt - Quantity does not equal quality, numbers do not lie.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sorry, and really, this isn't meant as an insult, but that one sentence right there shows that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. If there's one thing Bon Jovi has become known for it's having fans that stretch across generations.

Selling music doesn't mean they've broken into new audiences - their fan base is likely still buying. Just like they are buying concert tickets. They are successful products. I don't see how album sales means they are picking up new fans. Who buys full albums anymore?? Old foggies :)

And I know Bon Jovi is a band (not just JBV) but lets be real.. he's the face of the band and would live and die by his participation. The other guys would go onto other gigs.

They haven't really been much of a shaker in awhile. Successful? Sure.. but lets face it.. if they were put out on the stage at the Superbowl.. what would they play? Their old stuff. They have a great fan base. I can't honestly remember the last time I heard their name even uttered on TV or radio - let alone saw it in someone's playlist.

Edit: I'm not a huge fan of Bruce's either, but you're wrong about him too.

What's there to be wrong about? I gave my opinion of his show. He's even a bigger money making machine then Bon Jovi - I have close friends that will travel from VA to NYC just to see him multiple times a year. He can charge top price for tickets on solo shows. He probably wipes his rear with benjamins.

Again - die hard fans who are in their prime spending years willing to fork out anything to stay with their loyal following.

I doubt any kids in my daughters high school could name more than 3 tunes from either Bon Jovi or Springsteen... heck I'd extend that to college grads at my office. The world is big enough to sustain all kinds of acts.

captainkidd

Selling music doesn't mean they've broken into new audiences - their fan base is likely still buying. Just like they are buying concert tickets. They are successful products. I don't see how album sales means they are picking up new fans. Who buys full albums anymore?? Old foggies :)

And I know Bon Jovi is a band (not just JBV) but lets be real.. he's the face of the band and would live and die by his participation. The other guys would go onto other gigs.

They haven't really been much of a shaker in awhile. Successful? Sure.. but lets face it.. if they were put out on the stage at the Superbowl.. what would they play? Their old stuff. They have a great fan base. I can't honestly remember the last time I heard their name even uttered on TV or radio - let alone saw it in someone's playlist.

What's there to be wrong about? I gave my opinion of his show. He's even a bigger money making machine then Bon Jovi - I have close friends that will travel from VA to NYC just to see him multiple times a year. He can charge top price for tickets on solo shows. He probably wipes his rear with benjamins.

Again - die hard fans who are in their prime spending years willing to fork out anything to stay with their loyal following.

I doubt any kids in my daughters high school could name more than 3 tunes from either Bon Jovi or Springsteen... heck I'd extend that to college grads at my office. The world is big enough to sustain all kinds of acts.

And they could probably name 50 by Justin Bieber. I'm not sure I understand your point. Is their fan base largely "older"? Well duh, of course it is. To say no one in your daughters high school could name more than 3 songs is just stupid.

An article written recently, of which I'm sure you will brush off: http://www.examiner.com/article/bon-jovi-adored-by-new-generation-of-young-fans-1-of-2

Again, not sure what you mean by "shaker". They released new albums in 2007 and 2009, both of which went to #1, sold millions of copies around the world, and both of which resulted in the biggest tours of each of those years. What more do you want?

As for the Super Bowl, we'll find out in 2014. Mark my words - They'll be the halftime performer.

As for you hearing their name uttered on TV or radio, again, no idea what your point is. If you listen to the 60's station and watch PBS all day, maybe you won't hear their name. If you haven't heard (or read) about them, that says just as much about you as it does the band.

real mad hatter

Doesn't mean anything.....people's first thought of a groups song doesn't mean it's held up. Wanted has held up but their live version os better because it's arranged differently. That studio album is lame...."you give love..." and "living..." sounds cheesy nowadays. They re-arange them because they even know it hasn't help up well.....

Oh man....
Whit the H... A triple neck guitar.Wait to I tell Rick Neilson ( cheap trick )
I say this as a die hard Bon Jovi fan. Their live version of Wanted is nowhere NEAR as good as it was in the late 80's, early 90's. The reason the songs you mentioned are rearranged differently nowadays is because Jon's voice has changed and he can't hit the same notes he once did. I mean, come on:

From 1990:

From 2008:

From 1989:

From 2008:

captainkidd

This conversation has been very interesting. I always like a good spirited debate about music other than "This artist sucks!"

Something that I find interesting is the 2 points of view of Dad 2 Boys and Flynnibus. One says Bon Jovi's earlier hits haven't held up well and their new music is much stronger. The other says the band is living on their old hits and no one cares, or even knows about the new material. I think you're both right, and both wrong. Let me explain:

I love Def Leppard. Here is the setlist of the most recent show of theirs I went to:

If you break apart the set list by their career, you'll see a very obvious pattern.

Songs played from 1980-1989: 14
Songs played from 1990-1999: 6
Songs played from 2000 and after: 2

Now, here's the setlist from the most recent Bon Jovi show I attended:

And here's the songs played from the same time spans:

Songs played from 1980-1989: 10
Songs played from 1990-1999: 7
Songs played from 2000 and after:11

See the difference? Def Leppard, as much as I love them, is an example of a band living on their earlier hits. Bon Jovi distributes the set list evenly between their entire career.

real mad hatter

This conversation has been very interesting. I always like a good spirited debate about music other than "This artist sucks!"

Something that I find interesting is the 2 points of view of Dad 2 Boys and Flynnibus. One says Bon Jovi's earlier hits haven't held up well and their new music is much stronger. The other says the band is living on their old hits and no one cares, or even knows about the new material. I think you're both right, and both wrong. Let me explain:

I love Def Leppard. Here is the setlist of the most recent show of theirs I went to:

If you break apart the set list by their career, you'll see a very obvious pattern.

Songs played from 1980-1989: 14
Songs played from 1990-1999: 6
Songs played from 2000 and after: 2

Now, here's the setlist from the most recent Bon Jovi show I attended:

And here's the songs played from the same time spans:

Songs played from 1980-1989: 10
Songs played from 1990-1999: 7
Songs played from 2000 and after:11

See the difference? Def Leppard, as much as I love them, is an example of a band living on their earlier hits. Bon Jovi distributes the set list evenly between their entire career.
. I knew it.You're Bon Jovi,s PR agent.;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
And they could probably name 50 by Justin Bieber. I'm not sure I understand your point. Is their fan base largely "older"? Well duh, of course it is. To say no one in your daughters high school could name more than 3 songs is just stupid.

Why is it stupid? Because you think they secretly all have Bon Jovi posters hanging on their walls? By naming Bieber songs that shows just how popular and relevant Bieber is right now. The point wasn't about 'all time' it was as stated before 'relevant music wise today'.

I said earlier 'but not really relevant music wise today' and that Aerosmith had successfully reintroduced themselves across three different decades.

An article written recently, of which I'm sure you will brush off: http://www.examiner.com/article/bon-jovi-adored-by-new-generation-of-young-fans-1-of-2

Interesting article, but I don't find it that convincing when most of it's example cases are influenced by their Bon Jovi fan parents.

Again, not sure what you mean by "shaker". They released new albums in 2007 and 2009, both of which went to #1, sold millions of copies around the world, and both of which resulted in the biggest tours of each of those years. What more do you want?

Significance in pop culture? Influential to other acts? Altering the sound and direction of music today? Instant sound recognition? Dominating radio play?

As for you hearing their name uttered on TV or radio, again, no idea what your point is. If you listen to the 60's station and watch PBS all day, maybe you won't hear their name. If you haven't heard (or read) about them, that says just as much about you as it does the band.

Yes, it's actually a conspiracy... SirrusXM...http://ultimateclassicrock.com http://www.dc101.com and http://98online.com are actually in cahoots to blackball Bon Jovi to ensure he's silenced in the Greater DC area.

And as for being interested in 'good debates' - you might try it without trying it without closing each claim with trying to insult the person. Music is largely subjective and often heavily regionalized too.

cornandacobb

Aerosmith's music has severely deteriorated over the past 30 years. 30 years. Wow. That's a long time. They hit their peak in the 70s.
I won't deny their current popularity. It's just that there artistic output is watered down slop.
But I enjoy the coaster and the attraction. It's fine.

If they had to be replaced, the aforementioned KISS is a solid choice. KISS will market ANYTHING (ever see the coffins they sell?).
They have a distinct look that can be incorporated into an attraction.
Any band that agrees would have to be on board, set aside time for the attraction story, make appearances, etc.

Unfortunately, rock n roll is a shell of it's former self. Up and coming rock artists that please both the masses and the critics are few and far between.

On a personal level, I can think of hundreds of artists' music I'd rather have pumping into my ears while on a coaster.
But I understand they do this for millions to enjoy and not just me.

captainkidd

And as for being interested in 'good debates' - you might try it without trying it without closing each claim with trying to insult the person. Music is largely subjective and often heavily regionalized too.

Kettle....Black.

Music is subjective. But facts are facts and numbers don't lie.

captainkidd

Why is it stupid? Because you think they secretly all have Bon Jovi posters hanging on their walls? By naming Bieber songs that shows just how popular and relevant Bieber is right now. The point wasn't about 'all time' it was as stated before 'relevant music wise today'.

Maybe that's the point to you. Any artist can have their 15 minutes of fame. Longevity to me is the benchmark of a relevant artist.

I said earlier 'but not really relevant music wise today' and that Aerosmith had successfully reintroduced themselves across three different decades.

No more so than Bon Jovi has. In fact, far less so. They've sold less records, played fewer shows, and haven't had nearly as many hits (if any since 1998).

Interesting article, but I don't find it that convincing when most of it's example cases are influenced by their Bon Jovi fan parents.

Who cares who they're influenced by? My mother used to listen to Paul Revere and The Raiders non-stop. Didn't influence me to become a fan.

Significance in pop culture? Influential to other acts? Altering the sound and direction of music today? Instant sound recognition? Dominating radio play?

Many bands claim Bon Jovi as an influence. Look at the number of tribute albums that are out there. Radio play? Have you seen a recent list of the top 10 songs on itunes?

Yes, it's actually a conspiracy... SirrusXM...http://ultimateclassicrock.com http://www.dc101.com and http://98online.com are actually in cahoots to blackball Bon Jovi to ensure he's silenced in the Greater DC area.

Again, that's what YOU listen to. I listen to Sirius XM and not a day goes by when I don't hear Bon Jovi on Hair Nation, 80's on 8, 90's on 9, The Pulse or Classic Rewind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom