Replacement Band for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

captainkidd

Yeah, you're probably right. Explains why they were the #1 touring act in the world 2 of the last 3 years and why their last 2 albums went to #1. Nobody listens to them anymore.

It's like being in elementary school all over again. Why do people derive such pleasure in trying to other people off? And at least if you're going to try and do so, get your facts straight.

Dads 2 Boys

Go easy Captain-Kidd........letting people get to you about music is absurd. I'm a huge RUSH fan and no band gets bashed more than RUSH so I've had plenty of experience in dealing with morons/

First off, you are incorrect on the touring act number, U2 continues to be number one 3 yrs straight according to Billboard and Forbes (and not really sure how) I don't like U2 but they are incredibly popular.

However......they are still very popular and putting out better music (with the exception of Lost Highway) than their old crap which is a rarity nowadays. There are a lot less people that listen to them now that say 1988 but most non die hard fans wouldn't know they have put out several good records since then. Just do me a favor and save the rhetoric that Slippery When Wet has held up over the years.....it has not. Crush, Have a Nice Day and Keep the Faith are much better.

Dads 2 Boys

That used to be true in the 90's when grunge was supposed to kill glam rock. Bon Jovi was always more than just a glam rock band though. They dressed the part for a few years, but their music didn't fit into that category. They're a rock and roll band, one that has thrived over 3 decades. The irony is, the people that claim Bon Jovi fans are stuck in the past are the ones that are actually stuck in the past.

I find it amusing when people make remarks like "Bon Jovi is still around?" It's like "Hey man, you're the one who's out of the loop, not me."

They were a glam rock band for the first 5-8 yrs of their existence.....hence the sabattical after New Jersey. When they returned however is when they began to put out quality music that they liked and tons of fans evolved with them. With that being said, many of their fans are stuck in the past just like so many fans of older bands are.....it happens. The "new stuff" doesn't compare to their "old stuff" to those masses because those are the ones who live in the past. I personally think their old stuff sounds like bubble-gum cheese pop and has held up like toilet paper and I used to like it in the 80's when I grew up. Their new stuff has better musical quality and will hold up better over time.

Let's not put them on a pedistal yet......yet they are one of the most over looked bands for the RnR Hall of Shame. That is a whole other topic though.

captainkidd

Maybe I'm behind, but Bon Jovi's last 2 tours (Lost Highway 2007-2008) and (The Circle 2009-2010) were the #1 tours of the year according to Billboard:

The Lost Highway tour was the highest grossing tour of 2008 in Billboard's rankings. The tour grossed $210,650,974 and sold 2,157,675 tickets in total.

For the second time in three years, Bon Jovi ranks as Billboard's & Pollstar's Top Touring Act of the Year. The band's achievement, this year and previously in 2008, demonstrates that, remarkably, the group is hitting its touring peak 26 years after releasing its debut album. In an ongoing global trek promoted by AEG Live that saw the band play stadiums and arenas, Bon Jovi reported Boxscore grosses for the period of November 20 through 28, 2010, of $146,507,388 and attendance of 1,591,154 to 69 sellouts. When Bon Jovi was tops for the year in 2008 with its Lost Highway Tour, the trek finished with a gross of $210 million, the 10th-biggest of all time

As a die-hard, I love those albums mentioned, but to say Slippery When Wet hasn't held up well is crazy. If you ask any average person to name the first song they think of when you say Bon Jovi, almost every one of them would say either Livin' On A Prayer or Wanted Dead Or Alive. It's all a matter of opinion, but I think New Jersey is still their best album.

captainkidd

They were a glam rock band for the first 5-8 yrs of their existence.....hence the sabattical after New Jersey. When they returned however is when they began to put out quality music that they liked and tons of fans evolved with them. With that being said, many of their fans are stuck in the past just like so many fans of older bands are.....it happens. The "new stuff" doesn't compare to their "old stuff" to those masses because those are the ones who live in the past. I personally think their old stuff sounds like bubble-gum cheese pop and has held up like toilet paper and I used to like it in the 80's when I grew up. Their new stuff has better musical quality and will hold up better over time.

Let's not put them on a pedistal yet......yet they are one of the most over looked bands for the RnR Hall of Shame. That is a whole other topic though.

I like most of their new stuff, but there was a lot of filler on Bounce and Crush. Have A Nice Day is great from start to finish. The Circle is as well. There are definitely some who are stuck in the past and take bathroom breaks when a song like Dry County is played. I can't argue that. From what I hear, Europe and Asia aren't like that. They love the new stuff there.

As for the Hall of Shame, yeah, it's a joke. Anyone who takes it seriously, I've for 2 words for you - KISS & Rush.

I never saw them as glam, other than how they dressed. Same goes for Cinderella. They dressed it, but they were always more of a rock/blues band.

Dads 2 Boys

I'm a RUSH fan so I know it all too well. They are nominated this year which has mixed emotions for me and most RUSH fans.

You just lost me on Cinderella......their music was very hollow which is why they never lasted. They were an 80's band only and their music sounded like it.

captainkidd

I'm a RUSH fan so I know it all too well. They are nominated this year which has mixed emotions for me and most RUSH fans.

You just lost me on Cinderella......their music was very hollow which is why they never lasted. They were an 80's band only and their music sounded like it.

Listen to something else besides Night Songs. Long Cold Winter and Heartbreak Station are fantastic albums. And they are actually still around. Not playing 50,000 stadiums, but I saw them at a 2,000 seat venue last summer and the place was packed.

Dads 2 Boys

C'mon....2,000 seat venue means not relevant. I've heard other music of their and it all sounds hollow.

RUSH has been around for 39 yrs and they are playing to 12,000-15,000 on their current tour for Clockwork Angels. THAT'S relevant.

real mad hatter

C'mon....2,000 seat venue means not relevant. I've heard other music of their and it all sounds hollow.

RUSH has been around for 39 yrs and they are playing to 12,000-15,000 on their current tour for Clockwork Angels. THAT'S relevant.
I was lucky enough to interview the band in 1977 after their Glasgow Gig.Still have the cassette tape of the interview and photo of the four of us back stage.I predicted they would be big one day and told them,much to the chuckles of Alex.Roll the bones boys.;)

captainkidd

I didn't say they were relevant. They most definitely are not. But given that they've been around for 25+ years, still being to play a 2,000 seat venue is nothing to sneeze at. I remember years ago before Kevin Dubrow died, seeing Quiet Riot in a club with maybe 75 other people. Now THAT was embarrassing.

Motley Crue is another one. They still play to about 15,000 people per night, and they've been around over 30 years. Would you consider them relevant?

real mad hatter

I didn't say they were relevant. They most definitely are not. But given that they've been around for 25+ years, still being to play a 2,000 seat venue is nothing to sneeze at. I remember years ago before Kevin Dubrow died, seeing Quiet Riot in a club with maybe 75 other people. Now THAT was embarrassing.

Motley Crue is another one. They still play to about 15,000 people per night, and they've been around over 30 years. Would you consider them relevant?
Good old Motley Crue."You know am a dreamer";) Love that song " Home "

Texas84

So I'm running the Wine & Dine half marathon a few weeks ago and they are playing 'Fly by Night' on Osceola Blvd. :)

Rush might fit better in Space Mountain with some 2112, Farewell to Kings or Hemispheres. :D

Dads 2 Boys

I do not as much as I think of them as a punchline. They have not released any relevant music recently and do not play to 15K nightly. They play the smaller arenas and they're not even close to filled.

Dads 2 Boys

Maybe I'm behind, but Bon Jovi's last 2 tours (Lost Highway 2007-2008) and (The Circle 2009-2010) were the #1 tours of the year according to Billboard:

The Lost Highway tour was the highest grossing tour of 2008 in Billboard's rankings. The tour grossed $210,650,974 and sold 2,157,675 tickets in total.

For the second time in three years, Bon Jovi ranks as Billboard's & Pollstar's Top Touring Act of the Year. The band's achievement, this year and previously in 2008, demonstrates that, remarkably, the group is hitting its touring peak 26 years after releasing its debut album. In an ongoing global trek promoted by AEG Live that saw the band play stadiums and arenas, Bon Jovi reported Boxscore grosses for the period of November 20 through 28, 2010, of $146,507,388 and attendance of 1,591,154 to 69 sellouts. When Bon Jovi was tops for the year in 2008 with its Lost Highway Tour, the trek finished with a gross of $210 million, the 10th-biggest of all time

As a die-hard, I love those albums mentioned, but to say Slippery When Wet hasn't held up well is crazy. If you ask any average person to name the first song they think of when you say Bon Jovi, almost every one of them would say either Livin' On A Prayer or Wanted Dead Or Alive. It's all a matter of opinion, but I think New Jersey is still their best album.[/quote]

Doesn't mean anything.....people's first thought of a groups song doesn't mean it's held up. Wanted has held up but their live version os better because it's arranged differently. That studio album is lame...."you give love..." and "living..." sounds cheesy nowadays. They re-arange them because they even know it hasn't help up well.....

captainkidd

I do not as much as I think of them as a punchline. They have not released any relevant music recently and do not play to 15K nightly. They play the smaller arenas and they're not even close to filled.

Sorry, but that's just flat out wrong. I've seen them about half a dozen times over the past 5 years. Twice at the Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA which has a capacity of 20,000, both times packed. Saw them once at the Boston Garden, same capacity, packed. Also saw them 3 times at Mohegan Sun Arena. Granted, that place only holds about 10,000 people, but all the major acts play there. Anyone who has seen them can attest to the fact that they play full arenas. Heck, just go to youtube and type in Motley Crue live anywhere from 2005-2012.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom