Replacement Band for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

captainkidd

Just something to point out about Aerosmith, I've always loved this song, and the video truly shows just how many bands they've influenced. If you watched MTV anytime from 1988 to 1995, you saw dozens of artists take more than 1 concept from this video and use it in one of their own.

Dads 2 Boys

Sorry, but that's just flat out wrong. I've seen them about half a dozen times over the past 5 years. Twice at the Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA which has a capacity of 20,000, both times packed. Saw them once at the Boston Garden, same capacity, packed. Also saw them 3 times at Mohegan Sun Arena. Granted, that place only holds about 10,000 people, but all the major acts play there. Anyone who has seen them can attest to the fact that they play full arenas. Heck, just go to youtube and type in Motley Crue live anywhere from 2005-2012.

Please do not forget that Motley Crue tours with up to 3 other bands......and generally 1 or 2 of them are names people have heard of. That's an enormous reason they sell tickets.

Dads 2 Boys

I found this article, and thought you might find it interesting, if nothing else:

Not many musicians have stood before audiences of tens -- sometimes hundreds -- of thousands of people and heard words that they had written recited back to them by heart. Not many have inspired hundreds of cover bands, drunken karaoke exhibitions, and the undying affection of an entire state (amongst many others). And not many have had the same wife, same band, and same record deal, or sustained their popularity, relevance, and output, for 30-plus years.

Suffice it to say, Jon Bon Jovi is not like many other musicians..............

This article was definitely not written with objectivity though. Most concert-goers to their favorite band's show know the songs by heart...duh! Also, Bon Jovi does not have the same line-up for their entire duration and WTH does having the same wife and looking awesome at 50 have to do with anything? (although I do have to agree with that last part as he is my man crush).

captainkidd

Please do not forget that Motley Crue tours with up to 3 other bands......and generally 1 or 2 of them are names people have heard of. That's an enormous reason they sell tickets.

They toured with KISS this past summer, and I believe Aerosmith a couple summers back, but other than that, it's just opening bands. You said they don't play big arenas or fill them up. That's not the case, whether with a co-headliner or not.

captainkidd

This article was definitely not written with objectivity though. Most concert-goers to their favorite band's show know the songs by heart...duh! Also, Bon Jovi does not have the same line-up for their entire duration and WTH does having the same wife and looking awesome at 50 have to do with anything? (although I do have to agree with that last part as he is my man crush).

How do you know if it was written with objectivity, unless you were the writer? I can say this in all honesty. I've been to a lot of concerts. Probably close to 300 in my lifetime. In all the shows I've ever been to, I've never seen a crowd sing along like they do at a Bon Jovi show. Crowds always sing along, but Bon Jovi shows are like religious experiences for many fans. It's no magic trick. Jon is a great frontman and he knows how to work the crowd into a frenzy. The only change to the lineup has been the bass player, and even that's sort of a gray area. Hugh McDonald is credited as at least a backup player on every Bon Jovi record. I don't think those last 2 points are trying to say anything other than report something that is unusual in his business.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Since I played a part in this turning into a hate Bon Jovi thread I think I'll chime back in. Bon Jovi is not a group by any means and has had a ton of success. I for one do not feel big numbers means its the best out there ( see avatar bieber etc). Do I think Bon Jovi is a bad group? No. Do I think they would deserve a shot at RnR headliner? No. I have several Bon Jovi songs on my iProducts and Dead or Alive just so happens to be my track of choice before I hit the turns at VIR or Summit Point or wherever we head.

captainkidd

Scout, I agree that numbers aren't everything, for the exact examples you mentioned. But here's the thing: There have been many Biebers. Spice Girls, N Sync, Creed. They have a few amazing years, then no one gives a crap about them anymore. Bon Jovi's been selling tons of albums and selling out tours for 30 years now. You don't do that with 1 or 2 hit singles or if you're a flash in the pan.

As for the Coaster, I don't think it ever needs to be changed. But make no mistake - Aerosmith is largely an American success. They are not nearly as big on a global scale as a Bon Jovi or U2. Look at the list of countries the band is hitting on next year's tour, and this doesn't include the dates for Australia or Asia yet:

• Feb 09, 2013 - USA - Uncasville - Mohegan Sun
  • [T] Feb 10, 2013 - USA - Washington DC - Verizon Center

[*][T] Feb 13, 2013 - CANADA - Montreal- Bell Centre
    [*][T] Feb 14, 2013 - CANADA - Montreal- Bell Centre
    [*][T] Feb 17, 2013 - CANADA - Toronto - Air Canada Centre
    [*][T] Feb 18, 2013 - CANADA - Toronto - Air Canada Centre
    [*][T] Feb 20, 2013 - CANADA - Ottawa - Scotiabank Place

[*][T] Feb 21, 2013 - USA - Pittsburgh - Consol Energy Center
    [*][T] Feb 27, 2013 - USA - Atlanta - Philips Arena
    [*][T] Mar 01, 2013 - USA - Tampa - Tampa Bay Times Forum
    [*][T] Mar 02, 2013 - USA - Sunrise - BB&T Center
    [*][T] Mar 05, 2013 - USA - Charlotte - Time Warner Cable Arena
    [*][T] Mar 06, 2013 - USA - Nashville - Bridgestone Arena
    [*][T] Mar 09, 2013 - USA - Cleveland - Quicken Loans Arena
    [*][T] Mar 10, 2013 - USA - Columbus - Nationwide Arena
    [*][T] Mar 13, 2013 - USA - St. Louis - Scottrade Center
    [*][T] Mar 14, 2013 - USA - Louisville - KFC Yum! Center
    [*][T] Mar 16, 2013 - USA - Oklahoma City - Chesapeake Energy Arena

[*][T] Apr 02, 2013 - CANADA - Calgary - Scotiabank Saddledome
    [*][T] Apr 03, 2013 - CANADA - Edmonton - Rexall Place
    [*][T] Apr 05, 2013 - CANADA - Winnipeg - MTS Centre

[*][T]Apr 07, 2013 - USA - St Paul - Xcel Energy Center
    [*][T]Apr 10, 2013 - USA - Austin - Frank Erwin Center
    [*][T]Apr 11, 2013 - USA - Dallas - American Airlines Center
    [*][T]Apr 13, 2013 - USA - Kansas City - Sprint Center
    [*][T]Apr 14, 2013 - USA - Des Moines - Wells Fargo Arena
    [*][T]Apr 16, 2013 - USA - Denver - Pepsi Center
    [*][T]Apr 17, 2013 - USA - Salt Lake City - Energy Solutions Arena
    [*][T]Apr 19, 2013 - USA - Los Angeles - Staples Center
    [*][T]Apr 20, 2013 - USA - Las Vegas - MGM Grand Garden Arena
    [*][T]Apr 23, 2013 - USA - Glendale- Jobing.com Arena
    [*][T]Apr 25, 2013 - USA - San Jose - HP Pavilion

LEG 2 - AFRICA (2)
  • [T] May 07, 2013 - SOUTH AFRICA - Cape Town - Cape Town Stadium
    [*][T] May 11, 2013 - SOUTH AFRICA - Johannesburg - FNB Stadium

LEG 3 - EUROPE (22)
  • [T] May 14, 2013 - BULGARIA - Sofia - Levski Stadium
    [*][T] May 17, 2013 - AUSTRIA - Vienna - Race Course Krieau
    [*][T] May 18, 2013 - GERMANY - Munich - Olympic Stadium
    [*][T] May 21, 2013 - NORWAY - Oslo - Valle Hovin
    [*][T] May 22, 2013 - NORWAY - Bergen - Koengen
    [*][T] May 24, 2013 - SWEDEN - Stockholm - Olympic Stadium
    [*][T] May 26, 2013 - FINLAND - Tampere - Ratina Stadium

[*][T] Jun 06, 2013 - DENMARK - Copenhagen - Parken Stadium
    [*][T] Jun 08, 2013 - UK - Manchester - Etihad Stadium
    [*][T] Jun 09, 2013 - UK - Birmingham - Villa Park
    [*][T] Jun 12, 2013 - UK - Cardiff - Cardiff City Stadium
    [*][T] Jun 13, 2013 - UK - Sunderland - Stadium of Light
    [*][T] Jun 15, 2013 - IRELAND - Slane - Slane Castle
    [*][T] Jun 18, 2013 - GERMANY - Berlin - Olympic Stadium
    [*][T] Jun 19, 2013 - POLAND - Gdansk - PGE Arena
    [*][T] Jun 21, 2013 - GERMANY - Stuttgart - Wasen
    [*][T] Jun 22, 2013 - GERMANY - Cologne - RheinEnergieStadion
    [*][T] Jun 24, 2013 - CZECH REPUBLIC - Prague - Synot Arena
    [*][T] Jun 26, 2013 - PORTUGAL - Lisbon - Parque de Bella Vista
    [*][T] Jun 29, 2013 - ITALY - Milan - San Siro
    [*][T] Jun 30, 2013 - SWITZERLAND - Berne - Stade de Suisse dorf

[*][T] Jul 03, 2013 - UK - Glasgow - Hampden Park Stadium

LEG 4 - NORTH AMERICA II (3)
  • [T] Jul 12, 2013 - USA - Chicago - Soldier Field
    [*][T] Jul 24, 2013 - USA - East Rutherford - MetLife Stadium
    [*][T] Jul 25, 2013 - USA - East Rutherford - MetLife Stadium

cheezbat

The only bands I would EVER be ok replacing Aerosmith with would be U2 or the Beatles. Anyone else, no matter how good, are not equal.

Sorry Metallica, Bon Jovi, KISS, Mötley Crüe, Pink Flloyd, and led Zepplin fans.

Dads 2 Boys

How do you know if it was written with objectivity, unless you were the writer? I can say this in all honesty. I've been to a lot of concerts. Probably close to 300 in my lifetime. In all the shows I've ever been to, I've never seen a crowd sing along like they do at a Bon Jovi show. Crowds always sing along, but Bon Jovi shows are like religious experiences for many fans. It's no magic trick. Jon is a great frontman and he knows how to work the crowd into a frenzy. The only change to the lineup has been the bass player, and even that's sort of a gray area. Hugh McDonald is credited as at least a backup player on every Bon Jovi record. I don't think those last 2 points are trying to say anything other than report something that is unusual in his business.

C'mon.....it was clearly written by a fan. A journalist absulotely but a fan nonetheless.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The only bands I would EVER be ok replacing Aerosmith with would be U2 or the Beatles. Anyone else, no matter how good, are not equal.

Sorry Metallica, Bon Jovi, KISS, Mötley Crüe, Pink Flloyd, and led Zepplin fans.

I'm sorry the Beatles are / were mince. Being first to do something doesnt make you good. I just dont get the fascination with them in the colonies.

Van Halen would be a possible choice given their party attitude but they suffer the same problem with be aged, trouble is most younger acts are too disposable and dont have the catalogue.

cheezbat

BON JOVI !! They are my favorite band by far. I have seen them in concert 17 times. They are fantastic! Would love to see Bon Jovi replace Arrowsmith :)
Yawn.

If we're talking about our favorite bands then I'd want Skillet or Blink 182 to take over.

Just because a band may be your favorite or plays good music does not make them ideal for a ride like Rock N Roller Coaster.

captainkidd

I don't know why he didn't post the link to start...

But a simple google search shows it was an article in the Hollywood reporter and bit necessarily a music reporter

Who gives a flying piece of monkey poop if it was a reporter or not? There are facts stated in the article. Could have been written by a 7 year old for all I care. You seem to confuse your opinion with very simple facts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Who gives a flying piece of monkey poop if it was a reporter or not? There are facts stated in the article. Could have been written by a 7 year old for all I care. You seem to confuse your opinion with very simple facts.

is your problem? i was posting where the article came from and nothing more. It was actually defending the source of the piece as legit. It was 'on your side' But that seems to have eluded your reading comprehension because you are so quick to jump the gun and lash out.

captainkidd

is your problem? i was posting where the article came from and nothing more. It was actually defending the source of the piece as legit. It was 'on your side' But that seems to have eluded your reading comprehension because you are so quick to jump the gun and lash out.

My bad. I'm just so used to you posting rude and argumentative posts, I got a bit ahead of myself. Your second sentence either used an incorrect word or was missing a word, so it threw me off.

John

KiDD, as a fellow Bon Jovi fan I have to give it to you,,,,you are loyal. The only thing I will add is that one of the things that make the band relavent for all these years is that they evolve. Thier music isnt the same as it was in the 80's 90's or even the last tens years. They continue to bring it. I have some friends who say that they have turned country....and I just have to laugh. The real indicator of how good a band is....is in the number of tickets they sell....who will shell out hundreds of dollars to see a group of middle aged men sing and dance. Bon Jovi still packs them in all over the world. There is no denying that they still resonate. IMO the whole talk of replaceing Areosmith is just blue sky anyway. They are timeless and who in the world dosnt know a few Areosmith songs? How many songs use licks from "Walk this way" ? Of course my favorite song is "Pink" but thats a whole 'nother thread;)

midwest_mice

My idea for it is to theme it to a 2nd "woodstock" kind of thing, with many bands featured in the ride/preshow. I would get goosebumps hearing "highway to hell" during the launch!
This would be the best option. That way you could get a different experience everytime. Keep it classic rock groups though

captainkidd

KiDD, as a fellow Bon Jovi fan I have to give it to you,,,,you are loyal. The only thing I will add is that one of the things that make the band relavent for all these years is that they evolve. Thier music isnt the same as it was in the 80's 90's or even the last tens years. They continue to bring it. I have some friends who say that they have turned country....and I just have to laugh. The real indicator of how good a band is....is in the number of tickets they sell....who will shell out hundreds of dollars to see a group of middle aged men sing and dance. Bon Jovi still packs them in all over the world. There is no denying that they still resonate. IMO the whole talk of replaceing Areosmith is just blue sky anyway. They are timeless and who in the world dosnt know a few Areosmith songs? How many songs use licks from "Walk this way" ? Of course my favorite song is "Pink" but thats a whole 'nother thread;)

Thanks. I defend them too fiercely, but truth is, cliche as it sounds, their music has gotten me through some tough times. I think they get trashed too easily because of their past look, and because so many women are in love with Jon. It just bugs me when people talk trash about them when they really don't know what they're talking about. Music is subjective. Love a band. Hate them. Your call. But when people try and take simple hard facts and either deny them or make excuses for those facts are what they are, I don't know - It just drives me up a wall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom