Replacement Band for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

Ignohippo

KISS would be my choice by a mile! Imaging the beginning with the train taking off to "Detroit Rock City"! Then it could go right into "Shout It Out Loud" and finish with "Rock n' Roll All Night". Imagine the merchandising possibilities!

If not KISS, then Queen would be my second choice.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Queen? I can see it now

Is this the real life?
Is this Disney fantasy?
Caught in a Cadillac
An escape from reality
Open your eyes
Hold the handlebars and see
I'm just a tourist, I need no sympathy
Because I'm "fastpass come, fastpass go"
humidity high, patience low
Any way the ride goes, doesn't really matter to me, to me

AswaySuller

It'd never happen and with so many of my posts I'm purely being selfish but....

Foo fighters!

A better fit would be AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, or how amazing would Guns n Roses be....? But again with the original line up that'd never happen.

AswaySuller

Gus Polinski and The Kenosha Kickers Polka Band.
Polka%2BKing%2BHome%2BAlone%2B1990.jpg
Polka polka..... Polka

Everyone can post their favorite bands and put their name in the running to replace Aerosmith in Rockn' Rollercoaster, but the true answer is that (similar to the carousal of progress) you will never be able to keep updating the attraction so it stays relevant. One example is High School Musical. A few years ago they were one of the most popular movies, but now no one can stand them... Anyway, the moral of the story is that it is hard for the disney parks to keep up with fads when they are dealing with a ride that would need a lot of cosmetic changes made every few years to keep up with trends.

Bairstow

What cosmetic changes?
Other than the merch and some signage, the ride is one .mpeg and five .mp3s away from a total re-banding.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Scout, I agree that numbers aren't everything, for the exact examples you mentioned. But here's the thing: There have been many Biebers. Spice Girls, N Sync, Creed. They have a few amazing years, then no one gives a crap about them anymore. Bon Jovi's been selling tons of albums and selling out tours for 30 years now. You don't do that with 1 or 2 hit singles or if you're a flash in the pan.

So I had a 4hr drive this morning to go and retrieve something I left at a relative's over thanksgiving and since I was alone on the highway for awhile I figured I'd take another 'fresh' look at Bon Jovi. I fired up Pandora, put in Bon Jovi, and listened for awhile.

I followed it up by going through their 2010 Greatest Hits CD

In retrospect... I think Bon Jovi will be seen as 'forgettable'. Popular in it's era, but inconsequential to the long term music world or pop culture in general.

JBJ's voice really doesn't stand out. It's lost in a sea of similarities and really isn't stand-out compared to many of his contemporaries. Sting, Melloncamp, Cetera, etc. His voice sounds like any other LA rock band of the era and honestly sounds much thinner in their later works than his early albums. In the duet with Jennifer Nettles - it could be two girls singing. Overall he's a great singer, but the sound just feels 'more of the same'.

The songs.. honestly most of what I hear beyond their 80s tracks is also 'forgettable'. Beyond 'Its my life' I wouldn't bother with anything beyond the New Jersey album.. which was 1988.

Now I know captainkidd will go on about how that really doesn't reflect their popularity since, etc and all the albums sales in the 2000s. Well here is some 'facts' you can chew on about what people objectively and systematically perceive of Bon Jovi.

Pandora, which works off of the logic of the Music Genome Project to identify similar types of music would recommend basically all 80s rock as similar sounds when you ask for Bon Jovi. From the band Europe, GnR, REO Speedwagon, etc. And really what listening to Pandora with Bon Jovi as input made me really see is... out of the pack.. really Bon Jovi is the least distinctive or ironic of the bunch. No they aren't a band that relied on one album or one big single which has become iconic to identify them... but while they have had had great success over the years.. it really just feels like more of the same. I mean from that Pandora session - love em or hate em... GnR was far more distinctive and impactful or an AC/DC. Joey Tempest from Europe, another band that really boomed in the 80s, but dropped off.. could almost be interchangable with JBJ, except Joey was stronger.

Then when we look at Bon Jovi in iTunes... look at what the site suggests for 'listeners also bought'
Motley Crue, Pink, Foreigner, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Styx, Daughtry, Scorpions

Notice a trend? Again, dominated by their sound from the 80s.

My conclusion from these points of reference is that Bon Jovi's legacy is still defined by their albums of the 80s.. most dominately Slippery When Wet and New Jersey.

And really out of that era, while Bon Jovi was wildly successful, I doubt anyone sees them as ironic or defining of that era. Acts like Poison, GnR, Crue, etc would probably come off the tongue of people far quicker than Bon Jovi when asked for defining bands of the late eighties gram/arena rock stuff. People had harder hitting stuff, and better ballads. Bon Jovi was great for the 'sing-along' concert... but so was 'Da Butt' on the dance floor... and no one sees tunes like that as anything more than just fun for that era.

captainkidd

Flynn - I'm all done. If you don't think they've stood the test of time after 30 years, and selling out stadiums and releasing #1 albums to this day is considered "forgettable", then that's your problem.

As for your post itself, it's so utterly ridiculous, I wouldn't even know where to begin. It's filled with so much inaccuracy, false statements and ridiculous comparisons, it would take me an entire day just to dissect it.

FTR - Those aren't "facts" you're posting. They're opinions of an editor on an internet radio station.

Europe? They had 1 big album, 1 minor album, 7 albums that didn't even chart in the US and 2 hit singles in 1987. You're comparing that with a band that has had 12 multi-platinum studio albums and about 40 hit singles over 30 years? Europe sold 20 million albums worldwide. Bon Jovi has sold 135 million albums worldwide. Seriously, are you trying to compare those 2 bands?:p

You're a smart guy Flynn. I've read a lot of your posts and you always seem like you at least know what you're talking about. Opinions are 1 thing, but what you're shoveling now is just absolute silliness.

flynnibus

Premium Member
FTR - Those aren't "facts" you're posting. They're opinions of an editor on an internet radio station.

the facts are the VERIFIABLE OBSERVATIONS of "what people objectively and systematically perceive of Bon Jovi" as reflected by algorithms and buying patterns- I don't know why I need to spell this out for you.

What iTunes logs as what people buy.. are facts. And the Gnome project doesn't work on editorial. You aren't even reading (or maybe just not comprehending) what is being discussed.

Europe? They had 1 big album, 1 minor album, 7 albums that didn't even chart in the US and 2 hit singles in 1987. You're comparing that with a band that has had 12 multi-platinum studio albums and about 40 hit singles over 30 years? Europe sold 20 million albums worldwide. Bon Jovi has sold 135 million albums worldwide. Seriously, are you trying to compare those 2 bands?:p

No, I'm not.
facepalm.jpg

If you actually go back and READ the post - I was comparing the SINGERS and their SOUND. The Europe comment was tying back to the statements about John's voice and sound. "Joey Tempest from Europe, another band that really boomed in the 80s, but dropped off.. could almost be interchangable with JBJ, except Joey was stronger"

I'm calling the guy out by name - not comparing the bands.

You're a smart guy Flynn. I've read a lot of your posts and you always seem like you at least know what you're talking about. Opinions are 1 thing, but what you're shoveling now is just absolute silliness.

I'm sure it seems like silliness when you don't read the posts because you get all emotionally defensive. If you would actually read the posts you might find some interesting perspective. It's clear you can't be objective and look at information with a clear mind.

captainkidd

Dude, the fact that you're discussing Joey Tempest and Jon Bon Jovi in the same sentence speaks volumes about your opinion. And Joey was not stronger. You've apparently never heard Jon's rendition of Hallelujah.

I can't even begin to pick a place to discuss this with you. You're so all over the place. Your comments about the bands sound being most known to the 80's is beyond stupid. Zeppelin's sound is related to the 70's. Does that mean they aren't relevant? If you ask the common man about Springsteen, the first song that will come to mind is Born In the USA. Does that make it his best song?

And I did read your post. It's just so full of ridiculousness, truly, I don't even know where to begin, as I said.

I have noticed something about your posts. Whenever someone disagrees with you, you always accuse them of not reading your post. Do you EVER stop to think that you might not ALWAYS be right???

flynnibus

Premium Member
Dude, the fact that you're discussing Joey Tempest and Jon Bon Jovi in the same sentence speaks volumes about your opinion. And Joey was not stronger. You've apparently never heard Jon's rendition of Hallelujah.

His voice is still thin in that performance too - it lacks projection and bass. It lacks depth. It sounds like he'd be hard to hear across a crowded room without a microphone.

I can't even begin to pick a place to discuss this with you. You're so all over the place. Your comments about the bands sound being most known to the 80's is beyond stupid. Zeppelin's sound is related to the 70's. Does that mean they aren't relevant?

You've argued how all their recent albums prove their ability to pull new fans and be significant now. You've argued that old sound isn't representative of who they are now. You've repeatedly have pushed off that glamrock image as not defining who they are. But when we look at what they are identified with (objectively - not subjectively) with two examples I just provided, we see it is the 80s era of the band that is the dominate sound and what their buyers shared with other bands.

You get defensive when people pigeonhole the band as that late 80s period - well when you step outside the Bon Jovi bubble.. that's what the world sees them as.

Zep has relevance today because of their influence on music and other musicians. They also have lots of songs that have proven to transcend their time in the 70s. Their relevance has outlasted their actual performances because of the impact, the uniqueness, and what their existence has changed. Something 'more of the same' Bon Jovi really can't lay claim to.

If you ask the common man about Springsteen, the first song that will come to mind is Born In the USA. Does that make it his best song?

'Best Song' would be a personal preference. If you asked his 'most successful song' or 'most popular' - we could use quantitative measures to argue for or against it. But hey, we can always resort to 'beyond stupid' as a point to convince people :rolleyes: I was using actual quantitative measures to illustrate to you what Bon Jovi is associated with in today's market. And no matter how much you want to hang on a cross-over duet from 2006 - they aren't linked with country. Their legacy and lasting image will likely be the Slippery->NJ era.

Lots of people do collaborations - it rarely results in a pivot of how the world perceives them. Usually it's great for exposure to new audiences. But pull up Bon Jovi on itunes.. and look around and see what connective references all point to.

I have noticed something about your posts. Whenever someone disagrees with you, you always accuse them of not reading your post. Do you EVER stop to think that you might not ALWAYS be right???

When I say go back and read, it's not arguing I'm CORRECT, I'm telling you what you are arguing isn't even what I said in the first place.

Go back and look, when someone addresses the points and we can discuss right or wrong - but when you just start making @$%!, or completely miss the post - its nothing to do with right or wrong, but simple lack of comprehension or avoiding the point.

voodoo321

Bon Jovi is not an iconic band. Someone like KISS, AC/DC or the Rolling Stones are what is needed. They could have a lot more fun with KISS. I don't listen to any of these bands anymore, I'm basing my judgement on an objective, common man take. If anybody thinks that JBJ's singing on Hallelujah is great and can't hear the obvious "auto-tune" vocal effects then you need to re-tune your ears.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Flynn - You're right. You're always right. Bon Jovi sucks. Led Zeppelin rules. You are the man.

so it's my fault you can't defend your argument? Yeah... go with that :rolleyes: Don't you find it just slightly off you've had to defend your view of Bon Jovi to EVERYONE on this this site?

captainkidd

so it's my fault you can't defend your argument? Yeah... go with that :rolleyes: Don't you find it just slightly off you've had to defend your view of Bon Jovi to EVERYONE on this this site?

I know you can't seem to grasp this concept - You are not everyone.

Like every other topic on this board, there is no "arguing" with you. You refuse to acknowledge that not everyone shares the same opinion as you. Actually, no, that's not it. You refuse to believe anyone else's opinion holds any water if it differs from yours.

captainkidd

Bon Jovi is not an iconic band. Someone like KISS, AC/DC or the Rolling Stones are what is needed. They could have a lot more fun with KISS. I don't listen to any of these bands anymore, I'm basing my judgement on an objective, common man take. If anybody thinks that JBJ's singing on Hallelujah is great and can't hear the obvious "auto-tune" vocal effects then you need to re-tune your ears.

Hungry?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom