Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Californian Elitist

Nope. Every time I've tried to bring logic into the conversation over the past year, I've just been shouted down. I gave up trying awhile ago, for my own sanity.

Back on topic-ish...
I agree with what some others have said here: as the vaccines increase, these guidelines will loosen again. I bet the indoor dining restriction will be one of the first things to go.
I’m also thinking dining restrictions will let up first.

Regardless of what people believe, we are definitely heading in the right direction

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But also, the opening date of April 1 sounds rather interesting, too, as that, of course, is April Fool's Day.

In any case, I'll believe it when I see. If it does happen, I will admit that I stand corrected.
As has been mentioned April 1st is not the actual reopening day. But rather the first day when theme parks have the ability to reopen once counties hit at least the Red tier. Disney will announce over the coming days and weeks the official reopening date of Disneyland.

And while I understand your feelings it’s ok to feel cautiously optimistic now.

Darkbeer1

This is a very bad, and obviously wrong, take.

Lets see what the Voice of OC, the Progressive News source for Orange County said.

>>Dee Dee Myers, an aide to Gov. Gavin Newsom, didn’t provide any specific ways parks would stop out of state residents from moving around the system.

“It is our hope that people will respect the guidelines and it’s our expectation that the parks will work to really encourage people from California to come and others not to come,” Myers said. “Just by reducing mixing and by reducing geography of where people are coming from we think there’s’ a reduction in overall risk.”

Friday’s abrupt changes to theme park guidance follows a series of sudden updates — from reopening metrics to school reopenings — as Newsom is likely to face a recall election. <<

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
The opening day isn't April 1st.

That is the first possible date to reopen, but not many parks will. Maybe Castle Park.

I speculated briefly in another thread, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if DCA reopened before Disneyland. The park is already show ready, and I'd bet many kitchens are already cleaned and stocked for the food festival. Restocking merchandise in the shops shouldn't take to much time, which just leaves the attractions.

DCA has far fewer attractions, many of which are off the shelf- so the parts are more readily available and they take less CM's to staff. Also, quicker training for new CM's.

Fewer E tickets as well- Soarin', which is basically a theater so staffing is minimal and operation is simple. The most complex attraction is RSR, but it's new enough that I imagine it won't be to tough to get show ready.

It's the aging attractions over at Disneyland- Pirates, Mansion, Indy, Matterhorn- that are built on decades old tech and in many cases haven't been properly overhauled. Big Thunder is essentially a 2014 rollercoaster with a brand new track and computer system so it should be fine- Space is 2005, so also relatively new.

Splash is the biggest question mark- it's show quality was rough at best before it sat closed for a year, and with it's planned closure I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to just not reopen it. Or, operate it with barely any show elements working properly.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I speculated briefly in another thread, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if DCA reopened before Disneyland. The park is already show ready, and I'd bet many kitchens are already cleaned and stocked for the food festival. Restocking merchandise in the shops shouldn't take to much time, which just leaves the attractions.

DCA has far fewer attractions, many of which are off the shelf- so the parts are more readily available and they take less CM's to staff. Also, quicker training for new CM's.

Fewer E tickets as well- Soarin', which is basically a theater so staffing is minimal and operation is simple. The most complex attraction is RSR, but it's new enough that I imagine it won't be to tough to get show ready.

It's the aging attractions over at Disneyland- Pirates, Mansion, Indy, Matterhorn- that are built on decades old tech and in many cases haven't been properly overhauled. Big Thunder is essentially a 2014 rollercoaster with a brand new track and computer system so it should be fine- Space is 2005, so also relatively new.

Splash is the biggest question mark- it's show quality was rough at best before it sat closed for a year, and with it's planned closure I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to just not reopen it. Or, operate it with barely any show elements working properly.
I concur with you that the complex/aging tech rides, indoor queues, and narrow walking paths in NOS, Adventureland and even Tomorrowland will make these lands harder to open than say Carsland or Pixar Pier

Thinking this over, I do wonder if one option may just be to open portions of the park first as a beta test, particularly given the apparent wild success of the “Touch of Disney” event.

SWGE (with or without RoTR?), the BTMRR/Rainbow Ridge side of Frontierland and many of the simpler Fantasyland-style spinners and dark rides (with virtual queues presumable an option given the tight queue spaces) may be feasible to open in 4-6 weeks time. Particularly if a partial day (day parting) ticket is available.

Not to mention both Jungle Cruise (in its current iteration) and Splash’s days are presently numbered as it is.

fctiger

Wow this was very surprising news, but great news nonetheless! 👍

It was surreal to open my phone and first thing on my Google feed was that Disneyland and other theme parks were now given permission to open. Even crazier when it was stated they could possibly do it less than a month.

So many of us waited for this, I'm happy to see things are finally going in the right direction after so many false starts. My own mother and uncle are both vaccinated now and it's nice in a few months (fingers crossed) the rest of us will be there. It's a great feeling will be heading into the summer with actual entertainment offerings again. I know we are still far from out of the woods, but we know we are getting out sooner than later at least.

That said I'm still in no rush to go to DL and either way we're not going to even attempt to go until we are fully vaccinated at least (I doubt we could anyway with such limited capacity). But I can't wait to see all the videos for opening day of overly excited fans being back in the park. I expect a lot of people crying lol. And will be interesting to see what plan they roll out to manage everything. It should be a fun few weeks of reading!

ToTBellHop

You know, if they were serious about controlling spread from out of state as though the virus isn’t already in CA, they would offer rapid tests at the airports and require a negative test or vaccine card to check into a hotel. A blanket “no out-of-staters!” policy is not grounded in science.

In any event, I doubt that restriction will last long. Travel advisories are quickly disappearing.

I also know, as I’ve said, Disneyland was preparing for a Memorial Day opening. This announcement will push them to accelerate their plans but they can only do so much. I doubt they open before May.

Figments Friend

It's been a while, but i recall some time ago a reliable source stating here that Disneyland's 'Splash Mountain' would indeed re-open with Disneyland Park.

-

Figments Friend

If the recent news about the ridiculously long lines and waits to just enter the 'Star Wars' shop at DTD, i hope Disneyland will be ready to deal with the massive exodus of locals and vloggers that will stampede the gates on Opening Day 2021.
It's going to be ugly...calling it now.
Traffic, lines, nightmare fuel.
Reserving in advance will help...but you know a lot of folks are going to show up regardless.

I will enjoy watching from a distance.
Interested to see how they are going to deal with this unique situation.
Of course the Park has had plenty of experience in dealing with huge crowds, so hopefully they use that past knowledge.

-

mickEblu

If the recent news about the ridiculously long lines and waits to just enter the 'Star Wars' shop at DTD, i hope Disneyland will be ready to deal with the massive exodus of locals and vloggers that will stampede the gates on Opening Day 2021.
It's going to be ugly...calling it now.
Traffic, lines, nightmare fuel.
Reserving in advance will help...but you know a lot of folks are going to show up regardless.

I will enjoy watching from a distance.
Interested to see how they are going to deal with this unique situation.
Of course the Park has had plenty of experience in dealing with huge crowds, so hopefully they use that past knowledge.

-

I agree. I’m going to be targeting a hotel stay for about 4 -6 weeks out from opening day. Hopefully gives them enough time to work out the majority of the kinks.

ToTBellHop

Nice! I’m shooting for the Grand Californian or DL Hotel. Leaning DL hotel to switch it up.
I don‘t own at VGC, but (I presume due to uncertainty over reopening), rooms were still open at 7 months, so we grabbed it. I’m sure it will never happen again.

I wonder if DLH will open at first. Wasn’t it 2 of the 3 when they were planning to open last summer? Grand Californian and...?

ToTBellHop

Just a quick reminder that leaders of all G7 nations (including Pres. Biden) recently agreed that it is perfectly safe to move forward with the “2020” Summer Olympics in Tokyo starting July 23. And that will include individuals from 206 nations with no vaccination requirement and never enough STI preventative measures.

But, Las Vegas better stay the hell out of Cars Land. Keep your plague!

Let’s hope they can return by the 2028 Summer Olympics...

Californian Elitist

Just a quick reminder that leaders of all G7 nations (including Pres. Biden) recently agreed that it is perfectly safe to move forward with the “2020” Summer Olympics in Tokyo starting July 23. And that will include individuals from 206 nations with no vaccination requirement and never enough STI preventative measures.

But, Las Vegas better stay the hell out of Cars Land. Keep your plague!

Let’s hope they can return by the 2028 Summer Olympics...
Biden has nothing to do with the temporary in-state visitors only policy for the Disneyland Resort in California. Neither do France, Italy, Japan, Germany, Canada, or the United Kingdom.

ToTBellHop

Biden has nothing to do with the temporary in-state visitors only policy for the Disneyland Resort in California. Neither do France, Italy, Japan, Germany, Canada, or the United Kingdom.
Right. I’m pointing out the policy is arbitrary and pointless. There are a lot of US athletes in California who will be headed to Tokyo in 4 months to breathe the same air as people from 205 other nations. Then they’ll come back. They will then be safer in Cars Land than someone who just stayed in Tacoma? And please note, I’m not saying I think the Olympics are a good idea. I am merely suggesting that consistency is important if we want to claim we follow science. The same science that “proves” the Olympics can run without a vaccine mandate should certainly allow any Americans to come to Disneyland (and probably Canadians but I don’t want to push it...).

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Right. I’m pointing out the policy is arbitrary and pointless. There are a lot of US athletes in California who will be headed to Tokyo in 4 months to breathe the same air as people from 205 other nations. Then they’ll come back. They will then be safer in Cars Land than someone who just stayed in Tacoma? And please note, I’m not saying I think the Olympics are a good idea. I am merely suggesting that consistency is important if we want to claim we follow science. The same science that “proves” the Olympics can run without a vaccine mandate should certainly allow any Americans to come to Disneyland (and probably Canadians but I don’t want to push it...).
Do you live out of state?

How do you know the in-state only policy will still be in effect by the time Californians return from Tokyo? I honestly don’t understand why this is such a big deal, especially since it’s temporary. I think it’s a good idea to keep it to just Californians for now, just to see how things flow in the beginning. It’s not going to be forever. Maybe a few weeks or a month+ at best. If it’s longer than that, so be it. It’s been nearly a year and neither Californians nor out of state folks have been able to visit the parks. We’ve survived this long and out-of-state visitors will need to wait longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom