News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Rich Brownn

Nothing like hitting that halfway mark and having to flip the sucker to the other side (unless of course it's a dual laser model)
Mine does the flip on its own (the laser itself actually flips over). I got it back in the day when Laser was the only way to get Dolby Digital at home. :)

Rich Brownn

Read my signature for what defines an E Ticket. I love that quote for it’s ability to stop the inane arguments that start up around this topic.
When I worked at Disney ticket designations were based on popularity, not anything else. Its why Country Bears was an "E" and Hall of Presidents was a "D" - they were swapped when CBJ turned out to be overly popular.

Mike S

Not really.
It says “thrill and immersion and ride systems”. That would rule out several - HM, PotC, basically any ride that I would actually ride because the thrill factor isn’t there (‘cos I’m a scaredy cat). Then it would rule out BTMRR (which I will happily ride) because it’s a plain old rickety roller coaster. And you’re left with about six, maybe a few more.
Apply it to the times when each ride opened and it makes perfect sense. All of those rides indeed fit the criteria. For modern examples it perfectly explains why something like Rise of the Resistance and also the Millenium Falcon are both E Tickets, but Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers are not.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Apply it to the times when each ride opened and it makes perfect sense. All of those rides indeed fit the criteria. For modern examples it perfectly explains why something like Rise of the Resistance and also the Millenium Falcon are both E Tickets, but Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers are not.

That would mean none of the original EPCOT rides were E-tickets because none of them could really be described as thrilling -- at least not in the way people would normally describe a ride -- and if you're going to change the interpretation of that for different rides, then the quote becomes meaningless again. Some of them were clearly Es.

Also I don't think the Millenium Falcon is an E-ticket, but I concede that there's at least an argument. Same with Toy Story Mania, which I'm sure some would classify as an E but I don't think comes close.

Last edited:

jt04

I think I’ve said this about The Little Mermaid before, and probably Ratatouille as well. It’s a D Ticket with the cost and size of an E Ticket defended as a C Ticket.

The Overton window has been moved substantially since 1971. I've adjusted and see TLM as a solid D now. Ratatouille is E in comparison. IMO.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think the most important part of this debate is that in the modern era the distinction between D and E is basically meaningless semantics.

For the modern era and uses of the terms, A/B = Small things, C = Medium Things, D/E = Big Things. Anything more specific than that is basically just semantics and opinions at this point.

nickys

Premium Member
Was the Pirates ride system really that innovative at the time? Honest question by the way.
But in any case it means the criteria gets tougher as ride systems develop. So you’re not comparing like with like, unless rides lose their E ticket status as they get old.
However, whatever criteria are used, I would still not think of Ratatouille as an E ticket, albeit I haven’t ridden it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pure opinion but I’d call Rat an E in Paris. Epcot personally I’d call it a D+.

Location matters too. IMHO It’s better than Frozenstrom but well below Rise or Forbidden Journey for example.

I’ve said it before but all things considered I think it’s a worthy addition for the direction the park is taking. If my opinion matters of course.

Last edited:

fradz

Location matters too. IMHO It’s better than Frozenstrom but well below Rise or Forbidden Journey for example.

I’ve said it before but all things considered I think it’s a worthy addition for the direction the park is taking. If my opinion matters of course.
It's a good ride. Not record-breaking or anything else, but I always enjoy a ride and it brings me a smile everytime. I'm sure if people take it for what it is, it will be well received and will help a bunch with capacity at the beer park.

Jon81uk

Not really.
It says “thrill and immersion and ride systems”. That would rule out several - HM, PotC, basically any ride that I would actually ride because the thrill factor isn’t there (‘cos I’m a scaredy cat). Then it would rule out BTMRR (which I will happily ride) because it’s a plain old rickety roller coaster. And you’re left with about six, maybe a few more.

It doesn't need to go fast to thrill. Of course things were different 45 years ago, but being in the middle of a battle between two ships is quite thrilling. I think PotC did thrill people and continues to at least excite. Now Shanghai has taken that battle and made it a more modern excitement.

When I worked at Disney ticket designations were based on popularity, not anything else. Its why Country Bears was an "E" and Hall of Presidents was a "D" - they were swapped when CBJ turned out to be overly popular.
This of course is the real answer. Tickets were based on popularity and therefore related to the capacity of an attraction as much as the experiance.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Would you call it an E in Paris due to the ride itself or combined with the area as a whole? Because the area as a whole, in my book, is fantastic. I only was able to ride once and thought the ride was a high D/low E. Something for us to discuss sometime. ;)

If only my wife and I could go there and have a couple of more rides to take in the entire attraction...

Rat will draw a lot of people to World IP Showcase.

Magic Feather

I’ve always found WDSP to be an interesting park in that I’ve always thought of it as the park full of “D+” attractions. This meaning that almost every ride (except for the flats) shoots to be an E, and most of them could be argued down to an E (Tower mostly excepted, but even then...). From RnRC to Crush to Rat to soon-to-be Frozen, the park is truly the land of “so close yet so far.”

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’ve always found WDSP to be an interesting park in that I’ve always thought of it as the park full of “D+” attractions. This meaning that almost every ride (except for the flats) shoots to be an E, and most of them could be argued down to an E (Tower mostly excepted, but even then...). From RnRC to Crush to Rat to soon-to-be Frozen, the park is truly the land of “so close yet so far.”
I first visited it when it was 3 months old. Now THAT was interesting. I’d never been in a park before where there was one spot and you could see the berm on all 4 sides.

Well, fencing. It didn’t even have a berm.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A reminder that the Pack Mules were an "E" at Disneyland at one point.

Determining "ticket level" is like General Relativity: You have to define from whose point of view you're using.

Historical Paper Tickets
During the time of Paper Tickets, the ticket level was originally determined by the cost of the attraction. You paid more for attractions that were expensive to build. And so, the E-Ticket represented the highest price at the time for a ride on the most expensive rides.​
However, over time, the paper ticket system started to be used as crowd control. The various versions of Astro Orbiter are just spinners, and thus, started out as a B-Ticket. But because they had such a low capacity, they were bumped from B to C then even a D-Ticket. Alice in Wonderland went in reverse... as a popular new ride, it started as a D-Ticket, then went to C and finally, a B-Ticket.​

Post-Paper Tickets: Guests
Guests learned that the E-Ticket rides were the ones with the longest lines. Partly because they were very popular since Disney put a lot of money into it. But also the rides with low capacity and long lines were bumped up in 'grade' for crowd control. So, for the average guest, an "E-Ticket" is any ride that they really like and has long lines.​

Post-Paper Tickets: WDI
For Imagineering, they use the graded ticket level internally, but, AFAIK, there is no written guidelines of what qualifies a ride to be an "E-Ticket." It seems that for Imagineering, the level of immersion has to be top notch from outside, through the queue, and with with a ride system which is cutting edge with cutting edge SFX. Consequently, a ride that may have been an "E" decades ago, would not be considered as such if built today. So, sometimes the 'grade' of a ride has to be graded on a chronological curve.​

UNCgolf

Are they spending enough money on Frozen to push it towards E status? I know it's an expanded version of the one at EPCOT and not a direct clone, but I would think getting EPCOT's FEA up to E status would require a massive amount of money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom