News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

peter11435

Awesome. Please cite a reputable source, such as a financial disclosure document, reputable media publication, or published interview with an executive insider (someone who works for Disney).

Absent that, you have no idea what it costs, and people on here are just spitballing and repeating rumors (from other people who don't actually know)...
Do your own homework. The information is available.

I have a very good idea what they cost and no it’s not spitballing and rumors.

ToTBellHop

ANYWAY - I find it very dubious to think this ride is "costing more than Everest" and people love to blow out of proportion the estimated costs for Disney attraction (even though they are staggeringly expensive).....

For these reasons, I HIGHLY doubt this attraction costs as much as Everest:
  1. It's a warehouse structure with limited theming at the front end. The outer details (mountain structure) at Everest was, alone, a very time consuming and expensive project to complete.
  2. It's a very mature 20 year old ride system where the R&D was mostly done long ago.
  3. It's a clone to an existing ride where the development was also largely done - they are simply remanufacturing large pieces of already designed sets, screens, projectors, etc.
I don't claim to have insider info, but based upon my fairly deep knowledge of what Disney rides typically cost, I'm guess-estimating this one is in the $50M range... Now, $50,000,000 is still a staggering sum, but less than half of what Everest cost to build back in 2005...
Believe what you want to believe. Disney couldn’t even build the Mermaid ride for $50 million.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For Disney Imagineers, the "ticket tiers" are based on cost to develop and implement and the complexity of the ride and queue and overall theming.

For Disney guests, the "ticket tiers" are based on how fun and popular it is.

For Disney Corporation, the old use of "ticket tiers" was a combination of both: rides that cost more to make and run were higher priced to ride, and thus, a higher ticket tier, but, at the same time, they used the ticket tiers partly as crowd control as they lowered the tier of less popular rides (in order to entice more people to ride them) and raised the tiers of rides with really long lines (in order to drive crowds away).

See here for a discussion of tiers... https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-e-ticket-attractions.895286/#post-8204650

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
A guess: Some of the "insiders" on here are purposefully fed "confidential" false information in order to spread it around and create buzz.

Insiders aren't fed info, they are the source of info. They're not journalists or bloggers or CMs. They're industry insiders who work for or with Disney.

Insider information isn't a 'rumor'. It's information that hasn't been made public by other means.

Haymarket2008

Awesome. Please cite a reputable source, such as a financial disclosure document, reputable media publication, or published interview with an executive insider (someone who works for Disney).

Absent that, you have no idea what it costs, and people on here are just spitballing and repeating rumors (from other people who don't actually know)...

Really? The information has been out there for years. Why be difficult?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Your post makes zero sense. The chief "insider" here obviously doesn't work for (and I highly doubt with) Disney

Convenient to your beliefs you ignored that I not only said 'for' Disney but 'with' Disney.

Sorry that facts aren't lining up with your beliefs and so you want to attack the source of contradicting facts.

Casper Gutman

What I'm trying to tell you is that information you claim "has been out there for years" probably isn't true.... UNLESS it comes from a financial document or an executive interview. Both exist as it relates to certain attractions.

There's a reason why hearsay isn't allowed into a courtroom as evidence.... because it frequently isn't true.
This isn’t a courtroom.

Long experience has allowed members of this forum to draw reasonable conclusions about the trustworthiness of various insider posters. Speaking for myself, I find many of our insiders remarkably reliable, eloquent, and, when appropriate, discreet.

It is utterly hilarious that you list “executive interviews” as a reliable source of information. On a scale of trustworthiness, such interviews would be near the bottom.

It is also hilarious that you feel Disney LOVES the (accurate) perception that they grossly overspend on attractions, as though that would convince audiences of the value of an overpriced vacation. How positively are the astronomical amounts spent on attractions perceived on these boards? Do you think shareholders are so ecstatic about gross overspending that Disney is happy about such rumors?

Padraig

It’s costing more than Everest to build.

Is that adjusted for inflation, because that seems shocking. It's just so bare bones. The biggest indictment against it was that we'd fastpasses (family rides, so RT, Peter Pan and Buzz Lightyear) for the next day and my five and three year old had no interest on going on it again. They wanted to go on Peter Pan instead.

I will say the restaurant was wonderful in terms of theming. Just delightful. Food wasn't bad either. My steak was really well cooked, albeit slightly under seasoned. I do find it funny (and unnecessary) how they paired Ratatouille with nearly everything. It was nice though.

Ag11gani

Just back from my first visit to DLP yesterday and thought I'd chime in on Ratatouille. I'd tempered my expectations based on the early reviews, but was still cautiously optimistic given the nature of theme-park fans to sometimes over-react. But wow, that was a seriously underwhelming experience. It just felt so... empty, like being in a bumper car with a weak 3D movie projected in front of it. They really, really need to use some of those vehicles for props or something because it just feels like a proof of the technology rather than a fully realised dream.

I wouldn't use the Paris ride as a good indication of what the Epcot rise will be like. In Paris it is in dire need of a refurbishment and many effects do not work. There is an issue with the floor as well, I believe. While it is no real big E-Ticket headliner, it still provides a fun and enjoyable experience when it is all working.

Padraig

I wouldn't use the Paris ride as a good indication of what the Epcot rise will be like. In Paris it is in dire need of a refurbishment and many effects do not work. There is an issue with the floor as well, I believe. While it is no real big E-Ticket headliner, it still provides a fun and enjoyable experience when it is all working.

Noticed that, it looks like there are numerous scuff marks or that the floor had melted and was refinished roughly, particularly around the loading area. It stood out and reminded me of the shoddy state of Astroblasters when I was last in MK (2012). Everything else looked great.

ToTBellHop

Is that adjusted for inflation, because that seems shocking. It's just so bare bones. The biggest indictment against it was that we'd fastpasses (family rides, so RT, Peter Pan and Buzz Lightyear) for the next day and my five and three year old had no interest on going on it again. They wanted to go on Peter Pan instead.

I will say the restaurant was wonderful in terms of theming. Just delightful. Food wasn't bad either. My steak was really well cooked, albeit slightly under seasoned. I do find it funny (and unnecessary) how they paired Ratatouille with nearly everything. It was nice though.
I’m being purposely vague, but Everest was announced by Disney as costing $100 million in 2006. Rat costs more than $200 million. Prices have not doubled in 13 years. Runaway Railway had an existing building and facade and still costs MUCH more than $100m, though not quite $200.

ToTBellHop

Sources?

Euro Disney SCA was a separate publicly traded company in Europe and published financials where they revealed the cost of Ratatouille. It was NOT "more than $200 million."
If I give you the name of my personal source, he or she wouldn’t stay a source. That’s why even CNN will say “sources confirm...”. This is acceptable in journalism and I’m not even a journalist. Why would I lie here? For fame on a theme park forum? Please. This website is a hobby for me.

For the record, Wikipedia lists Rat as costing $270m. That number is incorrect and inflated, but not by much. I want to say $204 million in the ride itself was the actual cost but it’s been a couple years.

Getting a concrete budget for a project is challenging as they each involve many separately-funded projects. Do we include the cost to move and rebuild Festival of the Lion King in Pandora’s budget because it was necessary before construction could begin on the land? That’s a matter of personal opinion.

I stand by my estimate of $200 m.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom