News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Sir_Cliff

I feel people are over-thinking the use of French on the ride. You really don't need decoder cards or phrase books to know what's going on and you're not going to learn the language from repeated rides.

The ride more or less mirrors how shows and attractions work at DLP, where you often have a mix of English and French. It's honestly a nice and somewhat elegant solution for a multilingual environment. No-one is getting confused every time they encounter a word they don't understand, and I think it might be a nice and fitting experience at World Showcase for people who aren't used to ever hearing anything but their own language to get a little taste of navigating between languages.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Im just curious why this is an issue now? O Canada!/Canada Far & Wide has had French dialogue and song lyrics since 1982 and this has never been a problem. Maelstrom had Norwegian dialogue as well. Do we think people are actually going to try to translate with a cue card a few lines of French during a ride? People will get the gist of what’s going on.

James Alucobond

Talking to someone in a language they don’t know won’t teach them anything.

Talking to someone in a language they don’t know with context and something to reference actually can.
But the context is what's happening on screen. It's easy to get the gist without it being a Dora the Explorer call and response of the exact same phrase twice.

dhslxop

I don't believe people can't understand what's happening on the ride because part of it is in French.
You can't figure out you are a mouse and you are being chased?

A bunch of people yelling at me in French seems like it will make the ride even more fun and chaotic! 😂
You're a rat!
ratatouille GIF

DonaldDoleWhip

I feel people are over-thinking the use of French on the ride. You really don't need decoder cards or phrase books to know what's going on and you're not going to learn the language from repeated rides.

The ride more or less mirrors how shows and attractions work at DLP, where you often have a mix of English and French. It's honestly a nice and somewhat elegant solution for a multilingual environment. No-one is getting confused every time they encounter a word they don't understand, and I think it might be a nice and fitting experience at World Showcase for people who aren't used to ever hearing anything but their own language to get a little taste of navigating between languages.
Im just curious why this is an issue now? O Canada!/Canada Far & Wide has had French dialogue and song lyrics since 1982 and this has never been a problem. Maelstrom had Norwegian dialogue as well. Do we think people are actually going to try to translate with a cue card a few lines of French during a ride? People will get the gist of what’s going on.
But the context is what's happening on screen. It's easy to get the gist without it being a Dora the Explorer call and response of the exact same phrase twice.
I don't believe people can't understand what's happening on the ride because part of it is in French.
You can't figure out you are a mouse and you are being chased?

A bunch of people yelling at me in French seems like it will make the ride even more fun and chaotic! 😂
Let's just say there are going to be two different reactions to Ratatouille having ~50% French dialogue.

1629811745169.png

If you're an Emile, you're content with eating the slop presented to you and have no need to question anything. Of course it makes sense! There's enough context. Who cares what they're saying? Oh la la, it's in French so it's cultural! Where's my next sugary snack coming from?

1629811828459.png

If you're a Remy, on the other hand, you're curious and inspired by the experience, potentially well-versed in French already. If the latter isn't true, you'd still like to better understand what you heard, even if you're not exactly sure how to spell it.

It's really not a big ask for Disney to provide some phrase translations that satisfy the curious guests out there, but a plot-based attraction with around half of its dialogue in another language is new territory for WDW. O Canada or some throway lines on Maelstrom aren't comparable.

Again, if the language were a more challenging one (say Mandarin or Japanese), it would be really strange to bring it to WDW untranslated, and it's really a very minor courtesy to feed any curiosity the attraction sparks. To those who aren't particularly interested in learning what was said, good for you! Doesn't mean something like this would go unappreciated.

dreday3

Let's just say there are going to be two different reactions to Ratatouille having ~50% French dialogue.

View attachment 581990

If you're an Emile, you're content with eating the slop presented to you and have no need to question anything. Of course it makes sense! There's enough context. Who cares what they're saying? Oh la la, it's in French so it's cultural! Where's my next sugary snack coming from?

View attachment 581991

If you're a Remy, on the other hand, you're curious and inspired by the experience, potentially well-versed in French already. If the latter isn't true, you'd still like to better understand what you heard, even if you're not exactly sure how to spell it.

It's really not a big ask for Disney to provide some phrase translations that satisfy the curious guests out there, but a plot-based attraction with around half of its dialogue in another language is new territory for WDW. O Canada or some throway lines on Maelstrom aren't comparable.

Again, if the language were a more challenging one (say Mandarin or Japanese), it would be really strange to bring it to WDW untranslated, and it's really a very minor courtesy to feed any curiosity the attraction sparks. To those who aren't particularly interested in learning what was said, good for you! Doesn't mean something like this would go unappreciated.

Ah, so if I enjoy the ride as is, I'm a big, fat, sloppy rat.

Okay by me! 😂

TikibirdLand

View attachment 581990

View attachment 581991

dunno whether to do a :D or a ✔️. All good points made!

DonaldDoleWhip

dunno whether to do a :D or a ✔️. All good points made!
Ah, so if I enjoy the ride as is, I'm a big, fat, sloppy rat.

Okay by me! 😂
For sure - it's not a judgment across any dimension besides curiosity sparked by the experience.

In Epcot of all parks, it feels weird to have such an easy, commonsense opportunity to support guests' intellectual curiosity, and shut it down because who cares. If that's what we're getting with Epcot 3.0, I have no hope for the park, but at least Guardians should be fun.

DonaldDoleWhip

Speaking of curiosity to understand a language, I'm around 10-11 years out from my last French class (miss those days, I loved studying French and Italian in school), and it's definitely harder to maintain a language once you're in the real world.

This site has been a big help to me, as well as News in French (daily emails) and this podcast. Also, anything you watch on streaming (even Ratatouille on Disney+), you can change the language and throw on English subtitles.

As Gusteau would probably say, anyone can learn French! I'm hoping after riding Ratatouille, people are inspired to actually do so.

castlecake2.0

View attachment 581990

View attachment 581991

There’s far more French in Canada Far & Wide than Rat

GimpYancIent

Speaking of curiosity to understand a language, I'm around 10-11 years out from my last French class (miss those days, I loved studying French and Italian in school), and it's definitely harder to maintain a language once you're in the real world.

This site has been a big help to me, as well as News in French (daily emails) and this podcast. Also, anything you watch on streaming (even Ratatouille on Disney+), you can change the language and throw on English subtitles.

As Gusteau would probably say, anyone can learn French! I'm hoping after riding Ratatouille, people are inspired to actually do so.
Can always down load a translator app to your phone and Voila!

DonaldDoleWhip

There’s far more French in Canada Far & Wide than Rat
Yes, but most of it's in the background while Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara charm the audience. Ratatouille in WDW is pretty unprecedented as a fast-paced, plot-driven attraction.

Again, some people will have no desire to understand, and that's fine! The crêpes are that way. But others do, and I'd be significantly more impressed by Disney if they actually supported that curiosity. Not a big ask by any means.

Can always down load a translator app to your phone and Voila!
Actually not a great way to learn a language from scratch, especially with all the extraneous soundbites on something like Ratatouille. Plus you'd need to be able to spell what you heard, which is significantly harder when the speaking is quick and the language isn't phonetic.

Sir_Cliff

View attachment 581990

View attachment 581991

I think a phrase book for the Ratatouille ride would be about a page long. It is not a dialogue-heavy ride.

But, sure, bring a phrase book and some reading glasses with you on the ride and perhaps even try out a phrase or two on the cartoon chefs if it helps you feel more erudite.

dreday3

I think a phrase book for the Ratatouille ride would be about a page long. It is not a dialogue-heavy ride.

But, sure, bring a phrase book and some reading glasses with you on the ride and perhaps even try out a phrase or two on the cartoon chefs if it helps you feel more erudite.

That's served with a side of ranch for dipping right?

Oh wait, that's crudité.

DonaldDoleWhip

Exactly. All the more reason it would be completely low-effort, high-impact, for those who are actually interested.

Again, I don’t need it for myself, but if I spoke no French at all, I’d certainly appreciate it. There’s no way I’m alone there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom