News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It IS* a store bought "off the shelf" costume. Wow. Same Model.
https://www.shopmascot.com/Chef-Rat-Mascot-Costume?

Pretty sad effort on Disney's part.

The Disney costumer should have Remy's tunic/cowl tucked inside the body not outside overlapping his stomach. The pose also needs work. Looks too human with a forced "showtime" stance like something you'd see Ronald McDonald do in a 1990s TV advert. Remy should also appear more guarded, slightly hunched over with hands pulled inward more like a T-Rex or as if rubbing his stomach.

The chief's toque hat on the non-Disney mascot is a smart addition. Disney should have incorporated that into his design

Overall though, It's not a great looking character costume.

They also need to consider that a human has to wear that thing, that's why there are compromises as to not injure the wearer. Hunching over the frame and elongating the neck to better match a rat's form would introduce significant strain on the vertical axis

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They also need to consider that a human has to wear that thing, that's why there are compromises as to not injure the wearer. Hunching over the frame and elongating the neck to better match a rat's form would introduce significant strain on the vertical axis
True. I mean, it works but it also looks like something a local party company would rent out. Compare it to say Pixar's Mike Wazowski costume (visually impressive but admittedly limited in mobility) and it's clear which one is more on-model. This one by contrast is very plain. It doesn't have the Disney flourishes or detail to elevated it beyond being a basic rat costume. Is it just a rat or is it Remy?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
True. I mean, it works but it also looks like something a local party company would rent out. Compare it to say Pixar's Mike Wazowski costume (visually impressive but admittedly limited in mobility) and it's clear which one is more on-model. This one by contrast is very plain. It doesn't have the Disney flourishes or detail to elevated it beyond being a basic rat costume. Is it just a rat or is it Remy?
1612038158050.png
1612038188655.png
1612038210390.png

All that weight off of the vertical axis without a heavy internal frame and counterweights would make the character performer always pushing back or they'd tip forward.

_caleb

View attachment 528021 View attachment 528022 View attachment 528023

All that weight off of the vertical axis without a heavy internal frame and counterweights would make the character performer always pushing back or they'd tip forward.
I see what you mean. But if the costume was shaped/weighted differently, it could be better. The performer wouldn’t have to actually be hunched over for it to appear so. See the (unfortunate) versions of the hyenas from Lion King as an example.

It could be done sort of like this, maybe?
F8D39E3D-0D08-4A27-8660-7A94F3ECBE49.jpeg

Also, I agree with @Magicart87 - the arms should protrude from the front of the body rather than the sides.

All in all, not a huge deal to me.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I see what you mean. But if the costume was shaped/weighted differently, it could be better. The performer wouldn’t have to actually be hunched over for it to appear so. See the (unfortunate) versions of the hyenas from Lion King as an example.

It could be done sort of like this, maybe?
View attachment 528025
Also, I agree with @Magicart87 - the arms should protrude from the front of the body rather than the sides.

All in all, not a huge deal to me.

Postioning the body forward would definitely help, but moving the arms to the front (ala T-Rex) would would require a greater guide presence. Poor CP would be at the mercy of their surroundings, almost but not as bad as the "egg shaped" seven dwarf costumes.

_caleb

Postioning the body forward would definitely help, but moving the arms to the front (ala T-Rex) would would require a greater guide presence. Poor CP would be at the mercy of their surroundings, almost but not as bad as the "egg shaped" seven dwarf costumes.
Yeah- can you imagine falling down in one of those costumes? Like a turtle on its back!

Last edited:

wdrive

It IS* a store bought "off the shelf" costume. Wow. Same Model.
https://www.shopmascot.com/Chef-Rat-Mascot-Costume?

Pretty sad effort on Disney's part.

The Disney costumer should have Remy's tunic/cowl tucked inside the body not outside overlapping his stomach. The pose also needs work. Looks too human with a forced "showtime" stance like something you'd see Ronald McDonald do in a 1990s TV advert. Remy should also appear more guarded, slightly hunched over with hands pulled inward more like a T-Rex or as if rubbing his stomach.

The chief's toque hat on the non-Disney mascot is a smart addition. Disney should have incorporated that into his design

Overall though, It's not a great looking character costume.

The photo they’re using is the Disney costume. All Disney character costumes are made in house.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Wouldn't an elongated snout offer some counterbalance should they flatten him out in the front and pad the back to appear more hunched over in appearance? The ears are too small, as are the eyes. They could also taper in those barrel-like costume sleeves. I think that would help as well.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The photo they’re using is the Disney costume. All Disney character costumes are made in house.
That would certainly explain why the product image differs from the rest. But then why no chief hat? And what's with the weird tuff of fur cowl thing under his head?

nickys

Premium Member
I was thinking that this isn’t the final version of the costume, it’s just one for teaser phot shoots. It could be this is just a temporary version whilst they wait for the actual costume to be made. I mean wouldn’t they have to fit the costume for the CMs who will actually perform the role?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I was thinking that this isn’t the final version of the costume, it’s just one for teaser phot shoots. It could be this is just a temporary version whilst they wait for the actual costume to be made. I mean wouldn’t they have to fit the costume for the CMs who will actually perform the role?

For CP's in suits theres a size range for each costume, so its not a custom fit.

TiggerDad

This makes sense, since the movie just came out, and they haven't known they would need a costume for years. Oh, wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom