Removal of Main Street Christmas Wreaths Due to New Parade

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I have said it somewhere on these blue pages before,but IMO not only will the Christmas decorations be lacking in MK but thru out the entire resort as well. Its an easy cost cutting maneuver. They wont totally disappear of course. They have been diminishing over the years. I have told the story before but my first visit to WDW was in the mid seventies. We were there during the Christmas week. On all of the resort rooms that kids were staying Disney hung stockings filled with small toys and candy for every child....the small things....the Disney "magic" :sigh: gone.

Well that is disappointing. I don't have minor kids any longer but we had Christmas stockings during the Millennium week. When did this practice stop? I kinda think some of those Christmas decorations at the parks needed some freshening up, kinda like the ones we have at home for too many years, when they start to leave crisp and cheerful to starting to fade and get dingy. Some areas are going to be harder to decorate with all the construction walls and when they do ugly and festive will likely compete.

WDWFigment

Halloween at Disneyland and Christmas at Disneyland are two different things. Before the Halloween party came, Disneyland didn't really do that much with Halloween, so the party was more welcomed. Christmas, on the other hand, has always been a big thing at Disneyland, since 1955. And it's always been free. The Christmas parade is 20 years old and the firework show is 14 years old. So Disneylanders have been seeing and doing the same Christmas offerings, without any extra costs, for decades. This is arguably the main reason why the idea of charging folks for Christmas was received with negative attention from many people.

I can't see the Christmas party idea making its way to California, if not ever then anytime soon.

Just like the backlash over AP price increases every year at Disneyland, yet they continue to happen. I don't believe for a second the reason Christmas parties haven't occurred at Disneyland is due to the fear of a backlash. If TDA execs believed they could make more money with the parties, they would be doing them by now.

Heck, they could even easily negate some of the backlash by throwing in a new stage show, refreshing the parade with a float or two, and utilizing some of the new infrastructure for the 60th fireworks to plus Believe...

I think the real issue is capacity. As you point out, Christmas is a big thing, and incredibly popular with guests. DCA can't handle the crowds that would be displaced by the parties. WDW can do it with 3 other parks, and DCA can handle it during less-popular Halloween season, but during Christmas season, it would just be too much.

Same reason Magic Kingdom doesn't do parties Christmas week. Those would sell out in an instant, yet the Christmas entertainment is included in regular admission then. That isn't Disney just feeling a bit of the Christmas spirit...

Californian Elitist

Just like the backlash over AP price increases every year at Disneyland, yet they continue to happen. I don't believe for a second the reason Christmas parties haven't occurred at Disneyland is due to the fear of a backlash. If TDA execs believed they could make more money with the parties, they would be doing them by now.

Heck, they could even easily negate some of the backlash by throwing in a new stage show, refreshing the parade with a float or two, and utilizing some of the new infrastructure for the 60th fireworks to plus Believe...

I think the real issue is capacity. As you point out, Christmas is a big thing, and incredibly popular with guests. DCA can't handle the crowds that would be displaced by the parties. WDW can do it with 3 other parks, and DCA can handle it during less-popular Halloween season, but during Christmas season, it would just be too much.

Same reason Magic Kingdom doesn't do parties Christmas week. Those would sell out in an instant, yet the Christmas entertainment is included in regular admission then. That isn't Disney just feeling a bit of the Christmas spirit...

I don't think we can compare increasing AP prices to the upcharge events at the parks, but still, I see your point. I definitely agree about the capacity issues.

jrh1985

New as in Higher Garland?

Or "Frozen" Garland?, Hey It could happen! Since their doing Frozen 1-2 times a night for Day Guests, and changed DAWM's and Play It's schedules for the better IMO! Still not seeing CTM for MVMCP on the official website calendar, worries me a little.

I'm a little surprised they're waiting till Tuesday night. Haven't they put it up slowly during the days before the first Castle Lighting in past years?

punkabella

I've seen the old garland many times and it's beautiful and magical, but also looking forward to seeing the new decorations. New isn't always a bad thing! I'm always hoping Disney has a few "good" surprises up their sleeves for the next visit for me to notice!

Last edited:

photomatt

Or they could just measure... :confused:
Please don't take this as an argument, because it's not. They probably measured first and are still running the floats just to make sure. Oversized truck loads are often measured and then remeasured to verify their height, yet there still is usually a pilot vehicle ahead of the truck with a pole that is the same height as the load. If the pole hits, it will just bend and the convoy can stop.

It's a shame this idea hasn't always been used when transporting giraffes.

mm52200

I really wish though that they would actually run FoF during the busy Christmas week. Do FoF at 12:30 and then OUACP at 3:30. Especially since FoF is actually kind of being promoted quite a bit for a parade.

wdwfan22

Halloween at Disneyland and Christmas at Disneyland are two different things. Before the Halloween party came, Disneyland didn't really do that much with Halloween, so the party was more welcomed. Christmas, on the other hand, has always been a big thing at Disneyland, since 1955. And it's always been free. The Christmas parade is 20 years old and the firework show is 14 years old. So Disneylanders have been seeing and doing the same Christmas offerings, without any extra costs, for decades. This is arguably the main reason why the idea of charging folks for Christmas was received with negative attention from many people.

I can't see the Christmas party idea making its way to California, if not ever then anytime soon.

Disneyland decorated for Halloween and decorated well for Halloween before the introduction of a holiday party. They also had the holiday fireworks show prior to the party. The only thing the party brought was meet and greets the cavalcade and themed lighting. Once Disneyland decides to bring in a replacement for A Christmas Fantasy Parade I can guarantee you that the Christmas holiday party will be introduced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom