Removal of Main Street Christmas Wreaths Due to New Parade

PhotoDave219

Your first post to me seemed way rude. Saying that they weren't classic and that I only missed them because they are gone. Totally not the case and just wanted to take an extra moment to explain that I legitimently am upset over something I loved. But in a way I wish they would have either rerouted the day parade or just added the garland in December when Mickey's parties ended and the Christmas parade shows during regular park hours. And not have the new parade for a month. I'm sure they went with the best option. I just feel like these arches holding the wreaths look too industrial. A bit like recycled tomorrowland scenery. Just my thoughts on the matter. Which really won't make a difference anyway.

Look, if you're going to take offense over something like that? Your skin May not be thick enough for this particular message board. We are a tad ruthless around here…

Vegas Disney Fan

I liked the old Garland but really like these also, I especially like that the thousands of people who watch the fireworks and projection shows from Main St USA will now get unobstructed views. If garlands somehow show up I'll be happy and if they don't show up I'll be happy.

I do hope they either add more lights or wrap the arms in lit garland, they don't stand out very much at night.

Vegas Disney Fan

View attachment 72425
Ok. This should end a few questions.....

There's no possible conceivable way for them to put anything across the street.

I love this picture for perspective. I was trying to think of a way to still do the garland earlier and my first thought was arches but looking at this they'd have to be so high and would be out of scale, I also thought they could use actuators or arms on a hinge but that would also look terrible during the parade because they garland would have to be so high. The retractable garland has me curious (if anyone can think of a way it's Disney) because I can't think of any way to put the garland up that wouldn't look terrible.

alissafalco

Will they be decorating the lamp posts as well? My photos from last year show the lamp posts decorated. They aren't in the new photos.

TeriofTerror

Your first post to me seemed way rude. Saying that they weren't classic and that I only missed them because they are gone. Totally not the case and just wanted to take an extra moment to explain that I legitimently am upset over something I loved. But in a way I wish they would have either rerouted the day parade or just added the garland in December when Mickey's parties ended and the Christmas parade shows during regular park hours. And not have the new parade for a month. I'm sure they went with the best option. I just feel like these arches holding the wreaths look too industrial. A bit like recycled tomorrowland scenery. Just my thoughts on the matter. Which really won't make a difference anyway.
"Not have the new parade for a month"? There's no way I can see that happening. Guests who only visit once every 3.5 years (a common average) would be up in arms if they had been planning to see the dragon, but it wasn't running because of some Christmas garland.

BoarderPhreak

Curious- when was this taken in 2012? We were there the week of Thanksgiving in 2012 and the full garlands were up at that point. Not like it's a big deal (I'm bored at work and in total vacation mode!!! :) ), but just would be interesting to see if date played some role...i.e. did they take it down for parade taping? I took the pic below on November 20, 2012.

8233026691_83d025c905.jpg

That was taken on November 29, 2012.

-em

They've taken the garland down for the filming for the past few years.. The night after filming the tree magically appears and the garland returns..

Goofnut1980

I am torn like so many here. While I think the improvement was needed, I am not sure how much I love it. It is fresh and the big wreaths are awesome. I arm to wreath proportion is off. The arm should have greenery that matches either swagged or across the top of the arm to tie it together better.

And if you are going to do the arms you are drawing attention to the buildings more, so add something around the iron at the tops of the buildings as well.

This arm idea could be extended into places like Frontierland, Liberty Square, Fantasyland and even Tomorrowland. I would totally do square wreaths in Tomorrowland! just my two cents!

FerretAfros

I'm just relieved that they went with the classic wreaths with candles, rather than the Mickey-shaped wreaths that they have at DL and DLP. To me, those are just a little too cutesy and self-referential for Main Street (much like the giant Mickey wreath they slap on the Contemporary). It's nice to see that they're keeping it classy and keeping the Disney-branding out of it for now

That said, I really hope that they replace the MK tree. It's one of my least favorite Christmas decorations anywhere, and they've been using it for decades. It doesn't look anything like an actual tree, the section cuts are obvious, and the ornaments all look like plastic. The Blog just posted some new decorations (including a new tree) for DTD that look great, so it would be nice if MK could get some of that love too!

At DL, the lights on the garlands and tree change to white during the castle snowfall moments, which makes for a very striking look all the way down the street. Given that these new wreaths appear to have LEDs, will they be incorporated into the castle lighting show?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Things change you know. We got a new parade and there was nothing they could do.

Classic is simply another way of saying old. Kind of like how people were calling Maelstrom a classic right as it was leaving, but didn't give a **** about it before they knew Frozen would be replacing it.

F' it... that whole small america town thing is just 'old' too... let's update that sh't right! *facepalm*

This is another example where Disney has gone to great extremes and expense... yet misses the mark because they apparently have forgotten the very principles that made them what they were.

Cool temp LED lights... decorations that remind you of your local town 2010 town center instead of Norman Rockwell...

Great effort - all in the wrong direction.

kap91

F' it... that whole small america town thing is just 'old' too... let's update that sh't right! *facepalm*

This is another example where Disney has gone to great extremes and expense... yet misses the mark because they apparently have forgotten the very principles that made them what they were.

Cool temp LED lights... decorations that remind you of your local town 2010 town center instead of Norman Rockwell...

Great effort - all in the wrong direction.
You have to be kidding me...because the previous decorations (that have been used forever) were any more thematically authentic with their mini lights (that weren't in common use until 1960ish) and giant electric candles.

Disney has never been a place of absolute complete thematic and historical integrity nor should it-you wouldn't have things like pirates in Anaheim or the overly ornate and colorful msusa if it were. At some point it's about just creating something cool and pretty. If you don't like the new decorations fine, say that-you think they look ugly -ok. But you're just inventing reasons now.

raymusiccity

I liked the old Garland but really like these also, I especially like that the thousands of people who watch the fireworks and projection shows from Main St USA will now get unobstructed views. If garlands somehow show up I'll be happy and if they don't show up I'll be happy.

I do hope they either add more lights or wrap the arms in lit garland, they don't stand out very much at night.

A voice of reason finally appears. All of this thread has been a classic 'you can please some of the people some of the time' vibe.

If they brought back the garland, you'd hear from the 'oh, no...we're stuck with the same old, worn out garland' crowd.

I'm willing to bet we're going to see some beautiful night photography with these new decorations. (Especially when the wreaths change colors in sync with the castle!). :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom