Removal of Main Street Christmas Wreaths Due to New Parade

ChristianG

I like them. The original wreaths and garlands work better at Disneyland because of how low the Sleeping Beauty Castle is. The wreathes at MK, while they looked nice, awkwardly got in the way of the castle and just seemed very out of place (that probably sounds really ironic considering my avatar.. haha). Maybe put some lights on the structures and they will look great.

jrh1985

Not that tall.
Oh, they were tall. No Garland for the Live Christmas Day Parade in 1991. From what I've seen online: a YT video of MVMCParade from MVMCP in 1992 with no garland(garland was on the Christmas Day Parade that year), A shorted MVMCParade as the Day Parade the first half of Dec 1993 I'm guessing the garland was up the whole month then.

cjk0318

As WDWMagic has stated, he is almost sure these "additions" are in fact replacements. If you could explain your "inside" info, it would be much appreciated...

Interesting. That will be quite elaborate if done.
I'm taking these straight from the mouth of a very trusted source/confidant inside the parks. He mentioned this on Thursday to me. If (and that's a strong if) it doesn't come to fruition, don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:

rct247

First impressions: From the ground, they don't look that bad. From the train station, I agree with others that say that something seems off about them. In my opinion, the brackets holding the wreaths up don't invoke Victorian Main Street. They are decorative and white as if they might fit the time period, but either the scale is off or something. Obviously, we won't get the old way back this year or in years to come, but I don't know if I can say I like this style. I'm trying to like it because I love Christmas decorations, but I just can't.

One thing that bothers me about the wreaths is how perfectly shaped they are. Like how AstroTurf is even vs regular grass, these wreaths could use a more natural look. I've also hated how Main Street Christmas lights are multicolored. To me, that doesn't seem to fit the period like the the fruit does.

In any case, I've always prefered Disneyland Main Street decorations over ours, but Christmas decorations are awesome, even if these are not my favorite.

JustInTime

Oh, they were tall. No Garland for the Live Christmas Day Parade in 1991. From what I've seen online: a YT video of MVMCParade from MVMCP in 1992 with no garland(garland was on the Christmas Day Parade that year), A shorted MVMCParade as the Day Parade the first half of Dec 1993 I'm guessing the garland was up the whole month then.
They always removed the garland for filming purposes and also waited to put the tree in town square until after the parade was tapped. Didn't have anything to do with the float heights.

John

As always there are as many people who like the new decorations as there are those who dislike them....par for the course , right? Here is the thing, when we go to WDW we want to be in awe. The decorations were one of those things that TDO doesn't have to go o the cheap for. They don't get paid or take vacations or get health benefits. I am actually Ok with the wreaths. But make it up in other ways. Knock my socks off. I mean they are not as costly as say pyro are. SOme garland.....some lights, throw in some balls. IMO when you come thru the train station and head up main street should be able to smell Christmas it looks so good. Forget about all the doom and gloom stuff. This.....this is really where Disney has the chance with very little resources to show us and say.....see!......this is what you cam for! I mean d a m m TDO. Is it that much to ask?

DHS has so little to ffer these days, how about making that the Christmas village every year till they get that house in order? Christmas in Hollywood theme? Spend a few bucks and make it a must see. With all the decoration cuts there must be an entire warehouse full of the stuff.

I can over look a lot of things if they just would at least look like they are trying to make up for it. Colored lights are a more traditional decoration. All one colored lights is a more recent tradition.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As always there are as many people who like the new decorations as there are those who dislike them....par for the course , right? Here is the thing, when we go to WDW we want to be in awe. The decorations were one of those things that TDO doesn't have to go o the cheap for. They don't get paid or take vacations or get health benefits. I am actually Ok with the wreaths. But make it up in other ways. Knock my socks off. I mean they are not as costly as say pyro are. SOme garland.....some lights, throw in some balls. IMO when you come thru the train station and head up main street should be able to smell Christmas it looks so good. Forget about all the doom and gloom stuff. This.....this is really where Disney has the chance with very little resources to show us and say.....see!......this is what you cam for! I mean d a m m TDO. Is it that much to ask?

DHS has so little to ffer these days, how about making that the Christmas village every year till they get that house in order? Christmas in Hollywood theme? Spend a few bucks and make it a must see. With all the decoration cuts there must be an entire warehouse full of the stuff.

I can over look a lot of things if they just would at least look like they are trying to make up for it. Colored lights are a more traditional decoration. All one colored lights is a more recent tradition.

If the brackets were not so huge in relation to the wreath it would be a better effect, Alternatively they could have done larger wreaths and more of them. Or just run the christmas parade INSTEAD of FoF for the duration.

jrh1985

They always removed the garland for filming purposes and also waited to put the tree in town square until after the parade was tapped. Didn't have anything to do with the float heights.
Back then, the parades were live on TV and there was Garland, I have the tapes. Except for 1991 when Surprise Celebration ran on Christmas Day because the 20th just started.

psherman42

Honestly, I think the wreaths look better in person than in pictures. The trees down Main Street block the garland that is around the shop entrances and such (honestly cannot remember how much of that was there last year or in previous years). As for the lights on the wreaths, people are saying that they are two dim compared to the regular street lamps, but it's not like the lights on the garlands were ever overwhelmingly bright either. And also, once they start with the castle lights tomorrow, and they get the rest of the wreaths lit (only two were lit tonight) the effect will probably be completely different. I definitely prefer the garlands but I'm okay with it because they have a legitimate reason for getting rid of them, rather than just another budget cut. However, I do think they should add garland around the white brackets. That would make it infinitely better.

JustInTime

Back then, the parades were live on TV and there was Garland, I have the tapes. Except for 1991 when Surprise Celebration ran on Christmas Day because the 20th just started.
Perhaps for the live taping. But the cameras they use now films above mainstreet so the garland would block the view. Disney would remove the garland for the taping and put it back up after the taping was over. The new parade is the tallest in magic kindom history.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom