Remember when there were only TWO Parks..( a Nostalgia Thread)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
All this traveling makes me wanna buy stuff! Good thing we have plenty of cool merchandise availible in the Parks from that period up for offer:

WDWRetro85MerchCatalogshirts.jpg

^ 85' WDW Merch Catalog t-shirts and golf assesories page

Mmm...look at all those way cool retro shirts! EPCOT fans, try to remain seated please..with all hands and arms behind your monitor!

Of course, we will need a hat to go with our shirt choice. Here is a great sample from 1985:

WDWRetro85MerchCataloghats.jpg

^ 85' WDW Merch Catalog hats and Florida Citrus page

Crikey! Look at that awesome EPCOT Center hat with the 'pilot wings'! :eek: I so totally want one of those! I think they should re-issue these for the Monorail Captains to wear while on duty!

Check out the cool retro box your Florida Citrus arrives in too....very neat.

And talkiing about neat, have a look at what was being offered for camera assesories back then:

WDWRetro85MerchCatalogcameraassesor.jpg

^ you just HAVE to love that twin-parks logo! :)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Here is a page from the 1986 WDW Merch Catalog...this time with yet more incredibly cool EPCOT themed itmes!

----

* - WARNING - *
May cause sudden uncontrollable hot flashes if you are a die-hard EPCOT Center geek like me!

* -YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! - *

----

-

-

-

Brace yourself, EPCOT-Philles.....

-
WDWRetro86MerchCatalogEPCOTmerch.jpg

^ Uh, i will have two of each, please....

GAH!!! I WANT IT ALL!!!!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The EPCOT stuff is amazing, but as a watercraft transportation castmember, this is the good stuff! I'm in heaven:dazzle: Tis a shame the ferryboat isn't featured on things like it used to be. I would love for Disney to offer a watercraft transportation set like they do the monorails...

I scanned these pages just for you.....ENJOY!

:wave:

WDWRetro86Waterwayspage1.jpg

WDWRetro86Waterwayspage2.jpg

^ both pages from the 86' WDW Hardcover Book ( cover shot below)

WDWRetro86HardcoverBook.jpg

^ Awesome copper foil embossed WDW Hardcover Book from 1986. Oh the retro wonders contained within....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Here is a sampling of some of the great photos contained in the above book- I saved the best for last for today!

a cira early 80's EPCOT Center TransCenter photo spread!!

Bask in the futurisim! The TransCenter well deserved it's record of being the 'most photographed place in all of WDW' back then....the concept and execution of displays were nothing short of mind numbingly spectacular.

WDWRetro86TransCenterpage2.jpg

WDWRetro86TransCenterpage1.jpg

^ From the 86' WDW Hardcover Book.

Looking at these, i have to ask- Why, why WHY can we not have a 'futuristic' EPCOT like this?? :confused:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
You are more then welcome!

Hopefully you were able to see the photos okay...the Waterways pages i scanned came out smaller then i anticipated them being after all my converting. You spotted that flag though..so i guess they are okay after all!

I miss the boat flags too!!

I love that logo..it's so 'WDW' to me.

Well, at least we can still see them on the Trains....

CaptainMichael

Hopefully you were able to see the photos okay...the Waterways pages i scanned came out smaller then i anticipated them being after all my converting. You spotted that flag though..so i guess they are okay after all!

I miss the boat flags too!!

I love that logo..it's so 'WDW' to me.

Well, at least we can still see them on the Trains....

I was able to squint and read them.

The logo can still be found on our hats and jackets. They are also on the center smokestacks of the ferryboats.

SirNim

Incredible! Look at all those t-shirts and hats! TransCenter and Florida Citrus gift boxes!

So classy! Would that the 80s aesthetic make a full comeback! :lol:

Figments Friend, or any else who possesses the old merchandise bags, do you happen to have a larger image available of the graphic on the bag? If I can manage to somehow get a big enough sized image, i was planning on making a desktop background, which when completed, i would share with anyone who wanted it. Just an idea I had...:shrug:

Slipknot

Yes. I was not even a decade old yet, but I remember when my favorite rides weree Universe of Energy, Big Thunder, Horizons and World of Motion.

diddy_mouse

I still have the EPCOT shirt with the red sleeves :D...well, my mom let me have it. Seemed rather appropriate wearing it last year, what with EPCOT's 25th and all.

Oh and I flat out "awwed" at all that Figment merch. I have the small plush, although he is now missing an eye from a tragic moving mishap. :(

jiddng

WDWRetro84GuideMaps.jpg

^ 84' issued Guide Maps. Notice how different Mick and Minnie look....and how utterly SPECTACULAR and gorgeous the original walkway looked when entering EPCOT....

EXACTLY!!!!! Until they utterly RUINED that walkway by planting those tombstones in front of it! :mad:

My friend has a huge collection of the Figment figurines..... one that we all contributed to every time we visited WDW. I have to get a picture of his collection and post it here.

raven

I just found my old picture book from WDW when I visited as a kid 1982. I'll have to start scanning!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Figments Friend, or any else who possesses the old merchandise bags, do you happen to have a larger image available of the graphic on the bag? If I can manage to somehow get a big enough sized image, i was planning on making a desktop background, which when completed, i would share with anyone who wanted it. Just an idea I had...:shrug:

Sounds like a awesome idea to me!

I have the original bags which i scanned for this thread. I have larger scans for them, but posted the smaller versions fhere or space reasons.

I you would like me to send you the original scans i made, feel free to PM me a e-mail i can send them to.

:wave:

PhilharMagician

Wow!! thanks for all the old pics.

All of my old WDW stuff is missing. After the last move I am not sure what ever happened to it. I cannot even find the hundreds of photos that we took.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
HUH... the original SSE tshirt was $9. Kids was $7.... they go for a lot more then that on ebay. Nice supply/demand on that return.

Thanks for all the posting of pics. Love the memories. Funny thing is that i can remember the butterflies in my stomach looking at those park guides on the way down their on the plane. That feels like a lifetime ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom