Remember when there were only TWO Parks..( a Nostalgia Thread)

yankspy

I Just had a random question that I thought of when looking at the tickets. Does anyone else still instinctively hold out their hand to get stamped while exiting a park so you can get back in?:)

CaptainMichael

Of course, if we want to go over to The Magic Kingdom later on, we will need to purchase our Transportation Ticket too. Let's take a boat ride over to 'Discovery Island' while we are there....

WDWRetroTicketMedia.jpg

^ Gotta love the cool design work here.

The EPCOT stuff is amazing, but as a watercraft transportation castmember, this is the good stuff! I'm in heaven:dazzle: Tis a shame the ferryboat isn't featured on things like it used to be. I would love for Disney to offer a watercraft transportation set like they do the monorails...

Susan Savia

How great it was to reminisce! We have a number of the plastic bags around and my son has several of the stuffed Figments. (He's 22 now) I have saved the park entrance brochures from the first time we went too.
Got several of the tickets where they hand stamped the dates in. Wow what great memories and thanks for sharing!!! :)

Dayma

I am 32 and I have a few brochures from when we went in the early 80's. They are awesome to look at still.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I Just had a random question that I thought of when looking at the tickets. Does anyone else still instinctively hold out their hand to get stamped while exiting a park so you can get back in?:)
I do! I do! :sohappy:

I used to ask them to stamp my hand when we actually entered EPCOT Center so I could see it glow under the blacklight at the beginning of JII...

Ahhh... Being a kid in EPCOT Center.

:eek:

jeffb

This is a great thread! Brings back lots of great vacation memories.

Here are a few more items:

2038766552_bb6aef056c_o.jpg

2598866595_11932d99b6_b.jpg

sds

2709242304_b3b5305c0a_b.jpg

2709238498_4e6ae4c193_b.jpg

hwdelien

Wow! I love this thread. Unfortunately, this is all new to me. My first trip to WDW was in 1976, when there was only 1 park when I was only 9 years old. I didn't make it back until I had my own kids and there were 3 parks by then. Oh, the years I lost because I thought I had to have kids to go to WDW, sigh!!!

Figments Friend

Original Poster

YES..that would be me....:eek:

I used to enjoy riding the dark rides after being stamped as the cool EPCOT Center logo would then appear emblazoned on my teenage hand. Ahhhhh ...now THAT was awesome.

It was little details like that one remembers. Maybe this is why i love the original logo so much. :lol:

Jeffb just posted some fantastic stuff above....wow!!! Thanks for sharing! I love that early period when all we saw was 'concept art'. I think EPCOT had the BEST concept art for a Park EVER.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The EPCOT stuff is amazing, but as a watercraft transportation castmember, this is the good stuff! I'm in heaven:dazzle: Tis a shame the ferryboat isn't featured on things like it used to be. I would love for Disney to offer a watercraft transportation set like they do the monorails...

Agreed. I noticed the heavy use of the Ferryboat too on most of the materials from that era. It's cool how this mode of transport was as heavily promoted as was the Monorails back then.

Now, the Ferryboat is hardly ever seen!

I have some more stuff i will dig out and post soon gang....

mcjaco

My first visit to MK was at 18 months old. We visited EPCOT in November of 1982. That was in the midst of an annual pilgrimage there every year until I was 18.

I've posted a Trip Report to another website of that 82 trip, but in past instances here, it's been pulled.

I've also posted an entire copy of the 1982 EPCOT Pictorial, and one of 1986.

kkcup.jpg

I also had this cup as well as the very first Figment plush, of which I've never seen on a website. I have to go take a picture of it next time I'm at my parents.

marypoppins68

I remember when there was only one park--the Magic Kingdom. I've been every year since 1973. I have a few ticket books left, with mostly C and D tickets. And I think I have a button for the Magic Kingdom's 10th anniversary. I have the original Epcot guidemaps. Those are still my favorite. I also have an Epcot preview book that was sent to us. I've seen it used here as someone's avatar.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Here is the 10th Anniversary button issued in 1981

WDWRetro10thAnniversarybutton.jpg

I just spent most of today going through some of my old paper goods, and found some gems to share. Let the posting begin!

tmm7899

This is a great thread. I remember the passports. My first trip was when I was 5 in 1985. I don't remember a lot from that one. I do remember the celebration for EPCOT Center's 5th birthday. I remember cakes and candles in the topiary when you first walk into EPCOT right before SSE. Anybody else remember those, I will try to find some pictures and scan them in.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Here is a oddity....

WDWRetro3-Dayadbrochere.jpg

^ 1985 3-Day multi-ticket brochere.

Note the prices....and the ad for 'Return to Oz' on the back cover!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Now for some early brocheres and Guide Books. I was debating wether to post these or not, as i figured these were fairly common and not that interesting. I decided to post em' anyway...as our newer readers may have missed them.

Besides, they are way cool to look at...and nostalgic!

Here is one of my faves:

WDWRetro82Brochere.jpg

^ 82' WDW Brochere promoting the ALL NEW EPCOT CENTER! Woo!

WDWRetro84GuideMaps.jpg

^ 84' issued Guide Maps. Notice how different Mick and Minnie look....and how utterly SPECTACULAR and gorgeous the original walkway looked when entering EPCOT....

WDWRetro84GuideMapinterior.jpg

^ 84' interior fold out map from the above MK Guide Map.

What i really love about this particular map is the choice of characters pictured. Check it out...we have some VERY odd choices shown for 1984! For example, Brer Rabbit and his pals plus Jose' and the little wolf. I always thought it was way cool to include Henry from the Country Bear Jamboree.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
'..And now for something completely different...'

Completely different, yes..and completely random in some respects!

Have a look at this:

WDWRetroSummer85PromoInsert.jpg

^ Summer 1985 Promo Insert ( originally found in TV Guide!)

Whoa! Talk about advertising being catered to the..ahem..adults....
Here we have Mick all pimped out in his patriotic best surrounded by beautiful women ( the world famous Rockettes, actually..). Yeeeaahhh......imagine seeing THIS type of marketing these days...:eek:

:lol:

This is the front and back cover above, below is the inside inner flap:

WDWRetroSummer85Promoinsertinsidefl.jpg

And below, is the inside once folded out. Sorry it is cutoff on the right, but it was too long to fit it all on my scanner.

WDWRetroSummer85Promoinsertinterior.jpg

^ What i find interesting here, is the promotion of Kissimmee as the place to stay for being 'close to the Magic'! Ha ha! This was of course before the days of multiple hotels on Property...we had TWO unless you count Fort Wilderness of course.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Now let's visit three of the hotspots of happenings from that era:

Remember 'Walt Disney World Village'?

WDWRetroWDWVillagepics.jpg

No?

Okay, how about 'River Country' ? This was the very retro pre-'Disney Waterpark' waterpark!

WDWRetro86RiverCountrypage.jpg

^ Early 80's River Country photo spread

Now how about 'Discovery Island' ( formally 'Treasure Island' ) ? Yeah...thought you might remember that one. It was a pretty neat place to spend some time....long before Animal Kingdom was even contemplated.

WDWRetro86DiscoveryIslandpage.jpg

^ Discover Island page from 86' WDW Hardcover Book

devoy1701

Please keep em coming you wonderful Friend of Figment you! I'm enjoying these memories of a time I was not alive to witness! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom