Remember When Cinderella Castle Was Turned Into A Cake in 1996?

Did You Like The Castle As A Cake?

• Yes

Votes: 95 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 137 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

goofntink

I never thought of that, it would be a cool post of our stuff and other members stuff. I would have to take pictures of everything,because we have all of it crated up and in storage.But we have parts from the 20K subs and ride,bulbs from the Main Street Electrical Parade,Mr.Toad ride car,Alien Encounter seat cushion,Mission to Mars parts,Time Keeper parts,IASW doll dresses,Space Mountain ride car,old treasure from Pirates refurb,World of Motion parts,a shingle from the Golden girls house,and lots of other stuff.

Spyne

I wasn't there when Cinderella Castle was dressed up as the cake, but I remember seeing it on television. I loved it at that time, because I was just a kid. But looking at it today as a 20 year old? No, it was a poor design choice to me.

DisneyPirate85

It was our first trip there and I actually had to rush the plans so the kids could see the Castle like that. Now looking back, It was kinda gaudy, But was a very memorable trip with my children.:lol:

baz212

I preferred the cakes that they did for the 15th anniversary.
Magic Kingdom
retro_0009.jpg

EPCOT
retro_0001.jpg

:ROFLOL:My hubby has never seen pictures of the castle as a cake... I just showed him the original post and his reaction was....

EEEWWW!!! :hurl:

I have to admit I agree with him.
:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Disneyfan2000

I personally thought it was really cool, I mean it was just a temporary structure and im sure we all knew that it was going to go away. To think that they would put so much effort into somthing that could have just used a few banners saying "hey its been 25 years,,yay!...But no they go all out, that really shows the Disney Diffrence

alilance

I preferred the cakes that they did for the 15th anniversary.
Magic Kingdom
retro_0009.jpg

EPCOT
retro_0001.jpg
Oh my God, that was my first trip to Disney World ever and I have a picture (somewhere) like that in front of that mini cake at Epcot! It was my 11th Birthday the day we left our first trip!! Wow, those pics just brought back some memories! Thanks!!!:wave:

smk

I did not like the cake! It was our first trip with the kids in tow, (we went once without them when they were too young to notice!) , and I was so disappointed with the cake castle. I don't remeber if they liked it or not, I know I was sad they couldn't see the real castle. We did what anyone would do and we went back the next year so they could see it without all the decorations on it.

KaliSplash

That was the first year since our sons were born (85 and 88) that we didn't plan a full-scale Disney vacation. We went to Boston for July 4th and saw the 100th Anniversary Celebration of Stars and Stripes performed by the Boston Pops. But we did manage to go over to MK for a single day to see the cake and hit the high spots.

Knowing that it was a temporary feature, I was fine with it.

Obviously, if they had left it like that, it would have been awful!

mickeymaniacs

Oh my gosh that is aweful. My husband was not happy when he saw this they messed with his castle! We went for the first time last year and he loves the castle.:wave:

tigger248

Despite being a total Disney purist, I actually loved the castle cake...:lookaroun

Maybe it was because I got to go twice (once as my 8th grade trip and once with the family) that year after having not been to WDW in 8 years (DL trips were in between that time though...) I guess you could say that the gimmick worked for us since it inspired my parents to book a trip. We had to make sure we got to see the celebration and the "special" castle!

Maybe it was because during that trip I rode some of my favorite rides for the last time...rides like Horizons and the skyway.

Or maybe it was because I knew it was temporary.

DisnFanatic10

It was like that during my first visit to Disney. However when I was there the castle was 3/4 cake 1/4 castle as it was early summer 97 and they were starting to turn it back. It was my first trip to Disney World too, I thought it was kind of cool.

Uponastar

It was just soooo over the top.
My husband is a WDW purist and hates when they add things to the castle.
But he loved the lights this past Christmas, and we both agree that sometimes change can be good, as long as it doesn't completely alter the Castle's appearance.
The Christmas lights enhanced the castle. The birthday junk changed it completely. If ever the phrase "sometimes less is more" fit an occasion....

kcw

PS ~ Does anybody have any pictures of the "transformation" into/out of the cake? I think that would be interesting to see half a cake :D

we kinda started talking about this at the very end of the Picture of the Day thread (Part 2) and I think someone posted a picture of this. Just look through the last 3 or 4 pages

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom